• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Brown on Deegan and Binnom-Williams

In Deegan I see a realy good defensive mid, cutting out and mopping up in front of the back four. If used correctly it should allow the remaining mids to be more positive and forward moving. In Binnom-Williams I see a lad that might one day do ok but its a way off and I do not see the point in filling up the squad with hopefuls when we need performers now.

In fairness to JBW he had his best game for us on Saturday. I've loved Deegan since day one!

Agreed, Deegan is very useful to have.

Binnon-Williams is handy as cover, but not as first choice, if he and Palace are happy for him to be here on that basis fine. I was never blown away with him from the start, but he does have potential and PB does indicate he is interested in him permanently , so that changes it a little. Maybe if we do stick with 352 he will feature more.

Agreed, Deegan is very useful to have.

Binnon-Williams is handy as cover, but not as first choice, if he and Palace are happy for him to be here on that basis fine. I was never blown away with him from the start, but he does have potential and PB does indicate he is interested in him permanently , so that changes it a little. Maybe if we do stick with 352 he will feature more.

Deagan is useful to have, I can't deny that, but it appears to be at the expense of Timlin a lot of the time. If I had to choose between the two, it would be Timlin every time. Binnon-Williams is a bit of a curate's egg for me. Now Coker is back and firing on all cylinders I'm not sure I would want to keep BW. I think the wages (if we are paying them) would be better spent on a decent forward.

I think Deegan offers a bit of a tougher option, but I certainly can understand the Timlin point.

With BW we don't have natural cover for left back (White can play there but means sacrificing someone else) and I don't think its a case of his wages or a forward, we can have both. If PB is looking at him as a permanent signing then it does make sense to retain him.

In fairness to JBW he had his best game for us on Saturday. I've loved Deegan since day one!

Agree on JBW, I know you can’t read too muchinto one game or to be more exact part of one game but I see a CB in him. Talland strong enough and I can’t remember the last time we had a CB with a bit ofpace. Leon Cort maybe?

No so convinced by Deegan, I just think playerslike him are 10 a penny, he’s not done anything wrong but I don’t see anythingspecial about him. Basic spoiler who does a decent enough job, don’t get thelove some have for him.

Re Deegan, just spotted this on a Plymouth site ;

" Southend’s solution to dealing with Banton’s threat was to man-mark him, with the job going to Gary Deegan, who looks like a man who will act first and ask questions later, if at all. To describe him as hard as nails would be to flatter the nails.

However, looks can be deceptive, as Deegan proved to be the home side’s best player in an all-action performance that displayed considerable footballing nous alongside his physicality. The match-up with Banton was one of the most pleasing aspects of a very watchable first half."

Re Deegan, just spotted this on a Plymouth site ;

" Southend’s solution to dealing with Banton’s threat was to man-mark him, with the job going to Gary Deegan, who looks like a man who will act first and ask questions later, if at all. To describe him as hard as nails would be to flatter the nails.

However, looks can be deceptive, as Deegan proved to be the home side’s best player in an all-action performance that displayed considerable footballing nous alongside his physicality. The match-up with Banton was one of the most pleasing aspects of a very watchable first half."

Yet he doesn't run with the ball or shoot much so people don't get him...

He doest the dirty stuff and breaks up attacks, Ive always been a fan. Whether he does it so much better to warrant dropping Timlin who offers other things is debatable.

Agree on JBW, I know you can’t read too muchinto one game or to be more exact part of one game but I see a CB in him. Talland strong enough and I can’t remember the last time we had a CB with a bit ofpace. Leon Cort maybe?

No so convinced by Deegan, I just think playerslike him are 10 a penny, he’s not done anything wrong but I don’t see anythingspecial about him. Basic spoiler who does a decent enough job, don’t get thelove some have for him.

It's players like Deegan that you notice more when they're not there in that CDM role.

It's players like Deegan that you notice more when they're not there in that CDM role.

I realise that and Real Madrid fell apart when they lost Makelele, I do see the value of such a player, I just don't think Deegan is a particularly amazing one, jury is still out for me

Can see why he wants to keep Deegan, may not play every game, but can be used when required against certain opposition. Can see why he would be useful away from home where we might sit back and look to counter attack, but would rather us look to be more positive at home. Feel for the likes of Timlin and Clifford who basically miss out for Deegan.

Williams i have never warmed to, couldnt see how he is on the books of a Prem side etc, regularly out of position and lacked stamina at times - at left back. At centre back on Saturday he looked a different player all together, good in the air and got tackles in when required etc. Worth keeping as CB cover/use, not at left back thanku

Can see why he wants to keep Deegan, may not play every game, but can be used when required against certain opposition. Can see why he would be useful away from home where we might sit back and look to counter attack, but would rather us look to be more positive at home. Feel for the likes of Timlin and Clifford who basically miss out for Deegan.

Williams i have never warmed to, couldnt see how he is on the books of a Prem side etc, regularly out of position and lacked stamina at times - at left back. At centre back on Saturday he looked a different player all together, good in the air and got tackles in when required etc. Worth keeping as CB cover/use, not at left back thanku

I think JBW must have been showing a lot ofpositives at CB in training for PB to put him there. PB is pretty cautious anddoesn’t strike as someone who would’ve taken a risk there if he wasn’tconvinced JBW was up to the job, especially when there was a simple solution ofmoving White to CB and Leonard to RB.

I think JBW must have been showing a lot ofpositives at CB in training for PB to put him there. PB is pretty cautious anddoesn’t strike as someone who would’ve taken a risk there if he wasn’tconvinced JBW was up to the job, especially when there was a simple solution ofmoving White to CB and Leonard to RB.

Well you'd hope so considering defensive training is all we fecking do!

We do that at home too :smile:

I can understand the debate on Deegan , and I am torn as to what I think.
I think he does that defensive midfield job really well and was probably mom on Saturday.
The problem for me is 'after' he's won the ball.
For me , he has to move the ball on simply and quickly , otherwise any momentum we have is lost.
Creative , he is not.....

I like Deegan, hope he stays. At this level I think he is a brilliant player to have as you know exactly how he will play, and I think he has been extremely consistent for us so far. Need a guaranteed strong presence in midfield? No problem, just drop Deegan in and let him get on with it - valuable asset to have.

I like Deegan.

Phil could even try Williams up top with Williams:winking:

Back