• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Evening Echo

The News
BLUES boss Phil Brown felt a lack of experience and inability to deal with the conditions led to his side’s disappointing 3-1 defeat at Newport County on Saturday.

More...

That old chestnut of blame the pitch, clearly he is desperate for an excuse as it certainly did not cut up. A pitch, I might add, that had over £100k spent on it pre season. Excellent support from you Guy's yesterday which contributed to a great atmosphere and as has already been said, your keeper put in an inspired performance. Good luck for the rest of the season, that is until the 31st January when we shall meet again.

Speaking of the pitch I did notice that it was very long and wide must be one of the biggest in the league.

Pitch WAS rough, as any pitch that has rugby played on it as well is. We couldn't pass the ball well as it bobbled about all over the place so I do kind of agree with Brown, however, this is something that should have been anticipated.

Pitch WAS rough, as any pitch that has rugby played on it as well is. We couldn't pass the ball well as it bobbled about all over the place so I do kind of agree with Brown, however, this is something that should have been anticipated.

The video shows a different story I would suggest! Now last season you would have had something to be critical about, hence the £100k investment.
http://www.newport-county.co.uk/

Uncharacteristic display/ lack of experience

Having listen to and read the remarks of Mr Brown concerning the latest performance of the Blues, I now have to put my thoughts into the public domain. I totally disagree with his summary of the current situation. On what I have seen this season to date I would say Southend have performed very much in character. A few examples are collectively poor defending especially from set pieces and corners, numerous individual mistakes in almost every game costing us points, lack of goal scoring chances, the inability to convert even less of these chances, reckless tackles, needless free kicks given away and dissent when uncalled for . As for being a young an inexperienced team, well if you look at our normal back four, White, Phillips, Prosser and Coker can you really say these players are inexperienced? As regards the rest of the normal squad, we have Corr, Eastwood, Hurst, Atkinson, Reid, Straker, Timlin. None of these mentioned players can be classed as spring chickens in football terms. All have vast experience of lower league football. Only Bentley, Payne, Woodrow and Auger can be classed as relatively new to League Two football. On that basis it should be possible to integrate these players and still maintain consistence performances. So the question really is why are we not performing to a good standard on a weekly basis? You cannot blame the conditions as these apply to both teams nor can you blame the Officials for every failing that permutates the whole team as a regular occurence

We are not performing to every week because of many things, firstly lets not forget we are talking about a group of average league two players. Youngsters have been asked to fill gaps in the squad and in my opinion they are not as good as many believe they are. Its not the be all and end all but being under a transfer embargo does not help. If we take phillips, white and eastwood out of the team then the squad cannot handle it.

To answer the question.... because nothing happens overnight.

Brown is working with a minimalist squad and under an embargo. He has brought in some interesting players who in time will be better than average at this level. At the moment, they show glimmers but aren't quite there yet.

The sooner we realise that

a. we aren't going to set this division alight this season
b. we will struggle with consistency when we play youngsters
c. this is a work in progress
d. in all probability Phil Brown has a plan that is longer than just to the end of the season

and I will add, we are far more interesting to watch than we were under PS.

To answer the question.... because nothing happens overnight.

Brown is working with a minimalist squad and under an embargo. He has brought in some interesting players who in time will be better than average at this level. At the moment, they show glimmers but aren't quite there yet.

The sooner we realise that

a. we aren't going to set this division alight this season
b. we will struggle with consistency when we play youngsters
c. this is a work in progress
d. in all probability Phil Brown has a plan that is longer than just to the end of the season

and I will add, we are far more interesting to watch than we were under PS.

To add;

To get behind the team when all is not going as planned (or anticipated), as opposed to abusing them ....is that too much to request ladies and gents?

Back