• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

RHB

I'm a Gnu, how do you do!⭐⭐
Staff member
There's an interesting article in the Echo today on PB's views on Nile Ranger and what the future may hold. I've copied the main quotes from Chris Phillips twitter page below. Maybe he has run out of patience? or maybe he wants Nile to get the message?

Brown: “When Nile comes out of prison there needs to be a level of remorse."

Brown: "Nile needs to understand why he’s been sent to prison and how much support he’s been given."

Brown: “It’s a very sensitive subject & there’s still a lot going on but, for me, a lot will depend on what kind of pre-season Nile can have."

He confirms he's also looking at what strikers are available.

It's probably worth reading the whole article when it's posted on here to get the full context of the interview.

Footnote - Full Echo article now at post 12.

Last edited:
I get the impression that everyone at the club knows that Nile is a handful. I thought it was telling that in Ron's statement he said something along the lines of Nile will never be a model professional. I think PB's statement is basically saying to Nile that him coming back after his time is no foregone conclusion and he has to meet all expectations because I think Nile is the kind of guy who needs to have it spelt out to him. I think we'll want to stick by him but I don't think the club want him taking that for granted. You can tell he is basically a big kid and is easily led, I think the statements have this in mind.

I think also exactly because as he says- the sentence was a shock and now there is a whole load of activity behind the scenes- appeals, access to training facilities, where will he be doing his time, what does that mean for training, etc etc.

Where is the nearest prison (I am not an expert- colchester would seem somehow appropriate?)

Is there the possibility of an open prison with day release after a period?

The system claim rehabilitation is important but the reality is normally the precise opposite but you would think even the dimmest of legal minds will be able to work out that its best he can get back to his career rather than return him to the situation he was in at the precise time he committed the offence.

Not holding my breath though.

Not quite sure what has changed. Nile had pleaded guilty and from that time was always likely to be punished. Personally I don't think he has been harshly treated but I will let others debate that. Having stood by him after the guilty plea, I can't see the Club going back on that support.

Not quite sure what has changed. Nile had pleaded guilty and from that time was always likely to be punished. Personally I don't think he has been harshly treated but I will let others debate that. Having stood by him after the guilty plea, I can't see the Club going back on that support.

I think the only thing that has changed is that nobody expected such a long custodial sentence. However, I agree with you that the club stood by him after he pleaded guilty, can't see them going back just because the judge's sentence was not anticipated - provided that is, Nile sticks to whatever is expected of him.

When he signed the contract there was mention of certain clauses in there.

I think the only thing that has changed is that nobody expected such a long custodial sentence. However, I agree with you that the club stood by him after he pleaded guilty, can't see them going back just because the judge's sentence was not anticipated - provided that is, Nile sticks to whatever is expected of him.

When he signed the contract there was mention of certain clauses in there.

If he does the time, he'll be out by late September. It's not that long - however I expect it to be overturned and commuted to Community Service on appeal.

It won't do anyone any good, including the man himself, to sack him, but he has to realise he has to live a life of virtue for the rest of his footballing career, and beyond.

I thought this thread was going to be about one of those human pyramid things you do in the swimming pool when trying to impress women on holiday in Magaluf or Paphos.

Brown: What Nile can do in pre-season may decide his Blues future

SOUTHEND United manager Phil Brown has revealed the quality of Nile Ranger’s pre-season regime could determine his future with the club.

More...

Carving toothbrushes into shanks isn't much of a pre season.

Then again what do I know about modern fitness training?

I've got to say I think the way PB has handled this so far is pretty much spot on.

I thought this thread was going to be about one of those human pyramid things you do in the swimming pool when trying to impress women on holiday in Magaluf or Paphos.

:smile: There it is!

It is starting to get impressive though. That's Brown on Ranger and Hunt on Brown! :cool:

What next?

I've got to say I think the way PB has handled this so far is pretty much spot on.

It reminds me of the dignity Pauline Fowler displayed during Arthur's incarceration.

Mark on the other hand was busy catching AIDS at Peter Pans

Last edited:
I think the club needs to see which 'Nile Ranger' comes out of prison? Phil mentions pre-season, but I can't see him being out for at least 4 months, unless PB knows something else...

Biggest concern is the easy access to drugs, he'll be bored out of his mind - so I just hope whichever prison he goes to they have a gym and plenty of 'play' areas for him to run around in.

Can we go and visit him in the nick then?

Back