• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

This season is over and has been for a few weeks now. It doesn't make a huge difference if we finish 13th or 17th (or anything in between).

I completely understand why a Chairman would want compensation should an under contract Manager be approached/resign/leave (etc) to be appointed to another club. If Bolton cannot afford to pay, then they should look elsewhere. Much the same way I'm sure we would like to bid for players, but if we cannot afford it we end up with loanees.

This may turn out to be a game of who blinks first, but with the current situation as it is, I'm with Ron.

If Brown quits is compensation even an issue

It would be for him I'd imagine. Hence my point that there are at least four players in this dance. Throw in agents, etc and it'll be even more complicated. He gives up too much if he leaves. We give up too much if we release him. And it will cost Bolton a lot to prize him away.

Sack him and we enjoy the double-whammy of losing all the compensation from Bolton for Brown's final year AND the money we'd have to pay to Brown him in compensation!?

Exactly this. The only reason PB hasn't moved yet is due to the compensation due. This has been the hold up since Feb. I would guess that Browns pathetic comments about Pellegrini imply that a compensation package is all but agreed.

I'm not being funny, but if you let Brown go and you don't receive any compo(or minimal compo) and you manage to hire say Powell, who is available and wouldn't cost a bean in compo and according to many posters on here, he'd be ideal to replace Brown, would that be such an issue?

And that would that have improved our form how? *facepalm*

Bolton, Brown, Martin and Southend are all dancing the same dance we've seen a hundred times before with as many different clubs and managers. It's hardly a great situation but, if the speculation is true, it would appear we're at an impasse.

A great plan but Bolton would have to agree to it. If we release Brown, they won't. You all get this bit, right? If it's true they're after him, they'll be offering a small amount, we'll be asking a lot. Who caves? And at what point? For me it makes sense for all parties if he goes now and we all move on, but who takes the hit?

Once we lost those first two and fell out of contention, that was it. As things stand, I'll be surprised if we gain another point all season. That'll **** me off greatly but I can also see the reality of the situation.
Read my original post, the answer is in there

I'm not being funny, but if you let Brown go and you don't receive any compo(or minimal compo) and you manage to hire say Powell, who is available and wouldn't cost a bean in compo and according to many posters on here, he'd be ideal to replace Brown, would that be such an issue?

All part of the stand-off Gaz. But, arguably, Ron Martin gave Brown a 3 year contract because he wants him here for another year. Our poor form right now aside, he's been a successful manager for us and you guys are (allegedly) trying to poach him away. You should pay for that. If it's like Dave says, I'm sure there are lots of options on the table and we're just waiting to see who blinks. This isn't about the sensible option from a footballing perspective. It's about each party holding out for the most appropriate financial agreement.

1/ A contract is a contract

2/ You will be one of our competitors in the same league next season so we should be trying to hurt you financially, the more compo you pay the less you have to spend on the playing budget

I'm putting £20 on you to go down again next season, you're more than in with a chance of becoming the new Portsmouth

Absolutely correct...........................................................................

You are not being funny

It might not be Powell, but if it is then most on here would be happy. As for compensation, I quite like to get a large wodge from your consortium and Chris Powell as well. But that is what us fans from small clubs are like, so greedy.

Read my original post, the answer is in there

Great in theory, just not in reality. Until such time as Brown resigns or we sack him, he's our manager. You can't just stick him on gardening leave, appoint another manager into his position and laugh maniacally at your cleverness because another club was sniffing around. Gardening leave would be as good as sacking and you'd have just cost us our compensation from Bolton and a shed-load more cash to pay Brown for the final year of his contract. Any short-term upturn in form would be more than negated by the black-hole in our cashflows you just created and the consequential and inevitable longer term down-turn in form. Thankfully, Ron seems to be playing the game a little bit smarter even if it's hurting us a bit at this moment in time.

Would you have the same view if a club was trying to force another club to sell their star man on a free?

Great in theory, just not in reality. Until such time as Brown resigns or we sack him, he's our manager. You can't just stick him on gardening leave, appoint another manager into his position and laugh maniacally at your cleverness. Gardening leave would be as good as sacking and you'd have just cost us our compensation from Bolton and a shed-load more cash to pay Brown for the final year of his contract.
Depends on the circumstances, I don't think it would be hard to prove that Brown has talked to Bolton without Ron's permission, that would rule out constructive dismissal. As things stand Bolton obviously aren't coming up with the cash so what does Ron have to lose now ? Brown and Bolton need to be taught a lesson, neither have conducted themselves well in this.

Would you have the same view if a club was trying to force another club to sell their star man on a free?
Star man? Many of your guys want him booted out anyway, with his boring football.

I think you'll do well to get much out of us in compo tbh, we're under a totally different leadership now, not Eddie Davies who would just pay the comp to get his man, we have Ken Anderson as chairman, a shifty ex football agent with very white teeth and and also dyes his hair and has a pad in Monaco. You won't be screwing us unfortunately!

Depends on the circumstances, I don't think it would be hard to prove that Brown has talked to Bolton without Ron's permission, that would rule out constructive dismissal. As things stand Bolton obviously aren't coming up with the cash so what does Ron have to lose now ? Brown and Bolton need to be taught a lesson, neither have conducted themselves well in this.

Hard enough I'd wager or we'd be following that route. How many times have people been tapped up in football would you say? How many times have we seen it proven and punished? I genuinely don't believe we'd get away with putting him on gardening leave. We are punishing Bolton (and Brown) by not caving. it's just hurting us too. As I said before, who blinks? When? We'll see I guess.

Star man? Many of your guys want him booted out anyway, with his boring football.

I think you'll do well to get much out of us in compo tbh, we're under a totally different leadership now, not Eddie Davies who would just pay the compo to get his man, we have Ken Anderson as chairman, a shifty ex football agent with very white teeth and and also dyes his hair and has a pad in Monaco. You won't be screwing us unfortunately!

I think you'll do well to get much out of us in compo tbh, we're under a totally different leadership now, not Eddie Davies who would just pay the compo to get his man, we have Ken Anderson as chairman, a shifty ex football agent with very white teeth and and also dyes his hair and has a pad in Monaco. You won't be screwing us unfortunately!

You want Brown, and by all accounts Brown wants you, ok I get that, but please don't keep coming on here telling us we won't be screwing your club. There has never been any intention to obtain anything that wasn't due to Southend United contractually. Ok, you have a dodgy Chairman, so do we. Where do we go from here?

How on earth did you end up with someone like Anderson at the helm? His past business credentials make Ron look a saint by comparison.

Would love to see Barrett given a chance to take over. We're a mid-table league 1 club with no unrealistic expectations for next season. The guy's Southend through and through. Could be our very own Eddie Howe! If not, Chrissy Powell would do very nicely

I think you'll do well to get much out of us in compo tbh, we're under a totally different leadership now, not Eddie Davies who would just pay the comp to get his man, we have Ken Anderson as chairman, a shifty ex football agent with very white teeth and and also dyes his hair and has a pad in Monaco. You won't be screwing us unfortunately!

I think you seriously under-estimate our chairman then. He's going to want his pound of flesh if Brown goes now.

Back