• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

fbm

Blue tinted optimist⭐
Just heard PB in his post match interview. Not his usual chirpy interview at all.

Said that the speculation re his future needs to be sorted out between him and Ron.

Therefore - he wants to go and Ron won't let him. There is no other explanation. The trouble is, for that to happen then we will have to waive a lot of dosh that we would get in compensation as Bolton can't afford PB as it stands. I can't see Ron agreeing to that and neither should he. We need the money.

So glad I can't make the last two games.

Surely we cannot let this appalling run of form continue.

We may need the money but no manager would perform if he was hand-cuffed to a club he doesn't want to be at.

Surely we cannot let this appalling run of form continue.

We may need the money but no manager would perform if he was hand-cuffed to a club he doesn't want to be at.

And Brown has the front to talk about players not wanting to be at the club.Tosser

He has made it clear on telly and now on the radio that he wants away. Thanks for the promotion but I won't miss your style of football. Arise chris powell

Ron won't let him go so the spoilt brat is chucking his toys out the pram and recent form would actually look like he's trying to get sacked

Ron won't let him go so the spoilt brat is chucking his toys out the pram and recent form would actually look like he's trying to get sacked

Chucking young Ted against rampaging Wigan was slightly crazy ,but to sub him off is utter bonkers.

Disgusting behaviour by Brown, been obvious the players have not been performing for him for a few weeks since all this started but Ron also has to take his share of the blame, personally I think when it was clear some 6-8 games ago that Brown wanted out he should have put him on gardening leave and given Barrett and Maher the reins until the end of the season and told Brown if Bolton don't pay up he can rot on gardening leave for the foreseeable. We were the only club that were willing to give him a chance and this is how he repays Ron's faith in him. This behaviour mirrors his private life so should come as no shock.

Come on Ron where's your balls, put him on gardening leave and keep him away from the players and 100% hold out for the compo.

He said players that don't want to be here next season won't be. He said there are too many of them that don't believe they are 1st Division players. He said they all stayed at Whites Hotel, but people linking him with the likes of Sunderland and Bolton is pure speculation. He asked if the interviewer was asking for his resignation. He said him and Ron have to sit down regarding his future. He said it wasn't so much that Wigan were better, but all his players from 2 to 11 lost their personal battles.( Absolute rubbish really as Wigan were a class ahead, and a much better team).
He seemed to be saying that he half expects to be relieved of duties because of recent results and performances.

Ron is entitled to play hard ball but only to the extent that it doesn't cause damage to the team. There has got to be a deal to be made where we get some money for Phil's services and then all parties can move on. If Brown wants to go so much, could he not stump up some of the cash for example? In the end, I think Brown may regret such a move at this moment in time. He has got a pretty secure job here with a supportive chairman. If he has a bad start at Bolton, he could find himself jobless by Christmas and he will find himself back at square one looking for a league two club again. The risk is worth taking for a club in a higher league but not sure it is for a club in the same league. (even one close to your heart).

As I see it...

Brown's under contract.
If he leaves, we're due compensation.
If we release him, we're not.
We know it.
He knows it.
The players know it.
Any potential suitors know it.
While we were sort of in the hunt for the play offs, we're not anymore.
And thus our season is well and truly over...

My respect goes out to those who traveled to Wigan but I'm surprised at everyone's surprise at our insipid performances. Even if the uncertainty wasn't there, when your season's done, your season's done. Much as the paying fans will moan about it, if you're not chasing a play-off place, every man in the squad will be a small percentage less committed going into the 50/50s, half a yard slower chasing down the keeper, a last-ditch sprint into the box shorter, and so on. If there's speculation surrounding the manager, it'll just be even worse.

I still like Brown (or at least what he's done for us as I don't know him as a person). He has made mistakes and he's probably nearing the end of his shelf-life now, but ultimately, he's been a great appointment for Southend. In my opinion, we also gained far more from his media profile than we lost in terms of spotlight on our club and player recruitment. But we were ALWAYS going to be a stepping stone for him if we did well, just as we'd have been a stone attached to his feet if he failed. He didn't. We gained promotion from L1 and then consolidation in L2.

Which comes down to the big question. If Bolton are after him and he wants to go, then they can come and get him. And they can pay for him. And I'll wish him every success. He'll benefit and we'll benefit, just as we have up to now. There's no need for the gnashing and wailing going on right now. The season's done. We did enough to stay up. We didn't do enough to stay in the hunt for those play-offs. It's gone. Like it or hate it, the players heads are in Faliraki (or wherever else it is League 1 footballers like to 'relax' these days)...

As I see it...

Brown's under contract.
If he leaves, we're due compensation.
If we release him, we're not.
We know it.
He knows it.
The players know it.
Any potential suitors know it.
While we were sort of in the hunt for the play offs, we're not anymore.
And thus our season is well and truly over...

My respect goes out to those who traveled to Wigan but I'm surprised at everyone's surprise at our insipid performances. Even if the uncertainty wasn't there, when your season's done, your season's done. Much as the paying fans will moan about it, if you're not chasing a play-off place, every man in the squad will be a small percentage less committed going into the 50/50s, half a yard slower chasing down the keeper, a last-ditch sprint into the box shorter, and so on.

I still like Brown (or at least what he's done for us as I don't know him as a person). He has made mistakes and he's probably nearing the end of his shelf-life now, but ultimately, he's been a great appointment for Southend. In my opinion, we also gained far more from his media profile than we lost in terms of spotlight on our club and player recruitment.

Which comes down to the big question. If Bolton are after him, they can come and get him. And they can pay for him. And I'll wish him every success. There's no need for the gnashing and wailing going on right now. The season's done. We did enough to stay up. We didn't do enough to stay in the hunt for those play-offs. It's gone. Like it or hate it, the players heads are in Faliraki (or wherever else it is League 1 footballers like to 'relax' these days)...
We were still in with a great chance of making the playoffs before all this Bolton nonsense started so I really don't understand the point you are trying to make.

I think it's clear where the blame lies for the loss of form.

I just don't understand how our horrendous loss of form came about.

It wasn't long ago that we were on the verge of the playoffs and suddenly we have hardly won a game.

Why ?

We were still in with a great chance of making the playoffs before all this Bolton nonsense started so I really don't understand the point you are trying to make.

I think it's clear where the blame lies for the loss of form.

There's a possibility of course but it's a long way from the concrete conclusion you seem to be wedded to.

Actually, it's not clear to me where the blame lies so please enlighten me?

I'd also be interested to know how exactly you think Brown should have handled the 'Bolton nonsense' differently?

Agree a deal with Bolton - a percentage of a fee now, then x amount every year until its all paid off even if it takes 10 years. Rather that than a manager who doesn't want to be here.

There's a possibility of course but it's a long way from the concrete conclusion you seem to be wedded to.

Actually, it's not clear to me where the blame lies so please enlighten me?

I'd also be interested to know how exactly you think Brown should have handled the 'Bolton nonsense' differently?
How about showing some respect and just being honest a few weeks ago and admitting he wanted to go instead of all this ridiculous circus ?

Last edited:
How about showing some respect and just being hinest a few weeks ago and admitting he wanted to go instead of all this ridiculous circus ?

And that would that have improved our form how? *facepalm*

Bolton, Brown, Martin and Southend are all dancing the same dance we've seen a hundred times before with as many different clubs and managers. It's hardly a great situation but, if the speculation is true, it would appear we're at an impasse.

Agree a deal with Bolton - a percentage of a fee now, then x amount every year until its all paid off even if it takes 10 years. Rather that than a manager who doesn't want to be here.

A great plan but Bolton would have to agree to it. If we release Brown, they won't. You all get this bit, right? If it's true they're after him, they'll be offering a small amount, we'll be asking a lot. Who caves? And at what point? For me it makes sense for all parties if he goes now and we all move on, but who takes the hit?

I just don't understand how our horrendous loss of form came about.

It wasn't long ago that we were on the verge of the playoffs and suddenly we have hardly won a game.

Why ?

Once we lost those first two and fell out of contention, that was it. As things stand, I'll be surprised if we gain another point all season. That'll **** me off greatly but I can also see the reality of the situation.

The thing is, everyone knew brown would want to leave with the sniff of a better offer. He's spent the last couple of months doing everything he can to get the job offer and now it seems like it's in rons court. Just get rid Ron, we would probably be sacking him at Christmas otherwise

A great plan but Bolton would have to agree to it. If we release Brown, they won't. You all get this bit, right? If it's true they're after him, they'll be offering a small amount, we'll be asking a lot. Who caves? And at what point?

Very true. I suggest Ron sacks him tonight. Let Coughlan manage the final two games.

Back