• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

WESTY_SUFC

One for the moaners....hope you enjoyed tonight hahahahaha

Yes reading all the comments before the game I almost didn't watch as defeat and misery was guaranteed- then we won and during the match and after those that know much more were going on about how cleverly we were set up and nullified Sheff United's key threats (I was shouting at the screen no, no, no you don't know what you are talking about Holloway, Birtles & co I read on SZ that this is all wrong...). I note One Foot in the Grave is on TV Gold later..

So we win one and we are supposed to forget all that went before it. Today showed how wrong Brown has been with his recent narrow team selections. Some natural width, lots of crosses into Barnett and a great perfromance from Payne. McLaughlin should have been in the team weeks ago. Wasnt a big fan of Coker playing centre back either, especially when we have 2 perfectly good centre backs out on loan and one on the bench. Still, if it makes you happy laughing at those who believe Browns time is up then go for it. Im more happy with the 3 points. We all want the same thing ultimately and thats the blues to do well.

So we win one and we are supposed to forget all that went before it. Today showed how wrong Brown has been with his recent narrow team selections. Some natural width, lots of crosses into Barnett and a great perfromance from Payne. McLaughlin should have been in the team weeks ago. Wasnt a big fan of Coker playing centre back either, especially when we have 2 perfectly good centre backs out on loan and one on the bench. Still, if it makes you happy laughing at those who believe Browns time is up then go for it. Im more happy with the 3 points. We all want the same thing ultimately and thats the blues to do well.

What team do you support? You appear to be on the wrong message board!

One for the moaners....hope you enjoyed tonight hahahahaha

Nice to get three points and to see an attacking line up that allowed us to do what we do best. If you mean moaners, like me, who have to question as to why PB had not done something like this more often, then yes I enjoyed and feel completely vindicated.

We conceded one and it could have been more but we outscored them. A seldom feat. It was a welcome three points. I hope the ardent PB supporters are asking why we have not set up like this more often. Are they happy?

If people are happy to go off on rant after a loss you don't have a word to go on after a great win. You should be happy....no delighted like I am. Nothing to do with Brown but because Southend won in a good game. Anyone unhappy is simply not true southend fan or a spoilt brat to expect more in my opinion.

Questioning a fellow supporter's loyalty for the crime of disagreeing with you? Very poor.

Just don't understand why a true supporter would continue to slag off the team and manager after a very good performance. Supporters expect far too much and have too short a memory, remember the performances under Wignall, Newman, Little etc?
We have won promotion with Brown and are doing far better than expected. If you look at last night's performance one of the reasons we won is due to the Manager changing system during the match and reverting back when we were 2-1 up.

Sorry but I stand by my original comments. In my opinion there are supporters who have hated Brown since the day he arrived and hate the fact that he has done a fantastic job for us.

Just don't understand why a true supporter would continue to slag off the team and manager after a very good performance. Supporters expect far too much and have too short a memory, remember the performances under Wignall, Newman, Little etc?
We have won promotion with Brown and are doing far better than expected. If you look at last night's performance one of the reasons we won is due to the Manager changing system during the match and reverting back when we were 2-1 up.

Sorry but I stand by my original comments. In my opinion there are supporters who have hated Brown since the day he arrived and hate the fact that he has done a fantastic job for us.

They're attention seekers.

Totally agree. It seems some are happier when we lose than when we win just so they can say their opinion is right. Don't see the point of someone saying they support the club when they want us to fail.

Systems are often irrelevent.

It's about desire and commitment within whichever one is played.

We've looked great within a diamond system and lost using it.

Same with 3-5-2, 4-4-1-1 you name it.

When we are up for the fight, we are as good as anyone this season.

PB set up with 3-5-2 to counteract their 3-5-2 system and it worked, but mostly because people like McLaughlin chased back 60 yards after taking a free-kick to get a timely tackle in that we didn't see from other players when Chesterfield went through and scored the other week.

Set-pieces are an issue, which is nothing to do with systems. It's common sense to make sure players are marked properly.

I'd like us to be a settled side and system, like everyone else, but PB tinkers at times and it works. Sometimes It doesn't.

At the end of the day, it works more often than not.

Totally agree. It seems some are happier when we lose than when we win just so they can say their opinion is right. Don't see the point of someone saying they support the club when they want us to fail.

I think you two need to get a room. It was a good result, some good play and the manager finally sets us up to score. Barnett looked bright again and why? Did he not say himself when he signed that he looked forward to the crosses? Oh yes, you need wide players for that. If PB had put out that side or similar, with width, on a regular basis, there would be a lot less dissent among the supporters.

I cannot say for sure whether this set up would have reaped more points but in my opinion it would. Our defence this season has had a less than consistent display and always looks likely to concede at least one. With that in mind it has been essential to set the side up to score more.

It is not Brown attacking. It is questioning. It certainly is not player attacking. They are the ones I feel for most. Hardly a settled unit, played to their strengths, and too often lambasted on an individual basis.

Still, don't let reason get in the way of your love-in. It must be wonderful knowing you are the 'true' supporters and anyone who dares to question Saint PB is a faux fan.

We are all grateful for the promotion but it is not a crime to want better, particularly when the side appear capable of more, but for whatever reason seem to fail to produce on a consistent basis. Its not only about what we have achieved but also what could have been achieved.

I may be in a supporters group of one but I prefer to evaluate the pros and the cons. Fortunately, being a lone member of such a clique, I don't need to feel or express superiority. Its one thing to discuss, debate, argue about the chairman, manager or players but it is quite another to question/criticise the commitment of other fans.

I congratulate Phil Brown on his team selection & tactics - finally we play at Roots Hall with an attacking formation with plenty of attacking flair players.... its very frustrating however that we could and should have played like this for months and not try to grind out dull matches in front of our home fans. I do feel with the players at our disposal that a play off place was ours for the taking. But alas , it looks but an unlikely possibility.
Great to see McLaughlin put in a fantastic shift down the flanks & Payne and Barnett rightly got the plaudits last night. But the excellent defensive work of Atkinson & Deegan allowed all the others the freedom to impress. All round a brilliant night for Southend! UTB

Yep agreed,

We have IMO decent players ,yet they cannot deliver decent performances mainly because they are not allowed to,last night the brakes were released and we looked very good.

These fans coming on here mocking anyone who dared to question Phil's methods are jokers.

I congratulate Phil Brown on his team selection & tactics - finally we play at Roots Hall with an attacking formation with plenty of attacking flair players.... its very frustrating however that we could and should have played like this for months and not try to grind out dull matches in front of our home fans. I do feel with the players at our disposal that a play off place was ours for the taking. But alas , it looks but an unlikely possibility.
Great to see McLaughlin put in a fantastic shift down the flanks & Payne and Barnett rightly got the plaudits last night. But the excellent defensive work of Atkinson & Deegan allowed all the others the freedom to impress. All round a brilliant night for Southend! UTB

I'm not sure you can say we've been dull to watch at home in the last few months. Having gone almost two years without scoring three in a home league match, we've netted three or more against: Bury, Colchester, Coventry, Burton and Sheffield United. It seems to me Brown has adapted a more open approach, which perversely has hit our away form much harder as we appear far easier to score against.

Brown frustrates me at times but nobody is perfect at this level and I congratulate him and the players for what has been a pretty decent season. I personally believe he has got the best out of a 'limited' set of players. When you compare Sheffield United's budget and ours, it's pretty clear which one of the teams has underachieved this season.

Yep agreed,

We have IMO decent players ,yet they cannot deliver decent performances mainly because they are not allowed to,last night the brakes were released and we looked very good.

These fans coming on here mocking anyone who dared to question Phil's methods are jokers.

Copied and pasted from the England thread

One swallow doesn't make a summer

At the start of the year we had a decent amount of success playing with 3 at the back. We suffered a narrow 1-0 defeat at Scunthorpe and that was the end of that. Fast forward about a month and God knows how many different formations later we go back to 3 at the back and we put in a performance like that. Consistency is the key and we just don't have it.

Look at Leicester this season, I think they've only used something like 18 players this season and week in week out they play a 4-4-2. Consistency.

We'd have all taken a top half finish before the start of the season I'm sure. Phil's done well but the answer to why we aren't a play off prospect for me is two simple facts. 1, inconsistency and the player appearance stats are pretty damning on this. PB doesn't know his best XI. 2, a lack of a 15+ goalscorer, though that's much dependent on point 1 holding true

Some system changes have been forced by injury, but I agree that it would be nice to have a settled side and idea or plan.

The disappointing thing is that many of the purchases and loans have failed to deliver.

For every Barnett, there's been a string of disappointments.

Last night's side featured 9 players who played in League 2 last season, plus McLaughlin, who featured a couple of times and Barnett.

Even the 2 of the 3 subs we used were regulars last season.

We've learned a lot this season and should be stronger for the experience, so we get the right players in/out in the summer.

One thing for sure is that we are good enough at this level and actually look a better side, because the opposition is better.

The problem we'll have for next season is that we almost certainly wont have Bentley,Worrall,Payne,Hurst,Hunt and probably a further 7 or 8 from this seasons squad. So the consistency that everyone desires will be difficult to achieve.

Back