• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Brown slams 'dishonest' Blues after defeat at Bristol Rovers

Evening Echo

The News
A DISGUSTED Phil Brown slammed his Southend United side as ‘dishonest’ following Saturday’s 2-0 defeat at Bristol Rovers.

More...

Two sides to this...ripping into the players publicly can be disastrous
On the other side...these players looked unstoppable just a few games ago...playing some scintillating football....where has that gone???

Two sides to this...ripping into the players publicly can be disastrous
On the other side...these players looked unstoppable just a few games ago...playing some scintillating football....where has that gone???

...or it can stir a few people up.
What can Brown say after that performance? If he deflects, then it will look as if he's making excuses for a poor display. I prefer someone who says as he finds. And after all, he watches them all week unlike any Shimperzoners. It must be all the more galling if he thinks all OK and set up for a result to see the side bottle it.
Can't help but feel the keeper thing is a bigger worry than it should be. Said it already, but Smith should be stopping the second Rovers goal.

We were very poor in the first half, but "dishonest"? I don't think so. His half-time team talk must have been a corker because we were so much better in the second half, but could not score despite having six shots on target. The substitution of Fortune was a real error - he was looking fit and really up for it and was causing the Rovers defence no end of problems.

What can Brown say after that performance? If he deflects, then it will look as if he's making excuses for a poor display. I prefer someone who says as he finds. And after all, he watches them all week unlike any Shimperzoners. It must be all the more galling if he thinks all OK and set up for a result to see the side bottle it.
Can't help but feel the keeper thing is a bigger worry than it should be. Said it already, but Smith should be stopping the second Rovers goal.

I've no problem with slating the players if they deserve it, and most of the starting 11 did. However it would be nice if he took some responsibly himself too. Playing the same starting 11 who were very poor against Port Vale, and then complaining when they play the same is ridiculous! I don't think anyone who posted on the pre-match thread thought sticking with the same starting line up was a good idea.

Perhaps the underperforming 'Golden boys' Demetriou and Wordsworth deserve a benching? I'd like to see White and Amos start v Coventry, two players with points to prove.

Disgusting comments from the manager,he has accused his own players in public of cheating the club and fans !

Defo not the way to go.

He's let his frustration and disappointment get the better of him and saying out loud what he has been thinking, but that's PB of course. He wears his heart on his sleeve; sometimes he would be better to lock himself in the cupboard, stamp his feet, punch the walls and howl like a timber wolf before emerging to talk to the media......

I'm more worried what he does than what he says.. Unchanged team when some players clearly in dismal form. We have a big squad and he just fails to use it. I just don't understand it... There have to be changes on Tuesday

Brownie is usually quite open and helpful to the local media and fans, that is to be welcomed, but I wish he wouldn't criticize players so forcefully in public. Who can forget the team talk on the pitch in his Hull City days. I hope it has a positive rather than negative effect, we shall see over the next two games.

Full radio interview :-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p04wk602

No issues with what PB said, for me.

If he thinks the players let the club down, then he has every right to say it. After all, plenty on here have! .. My gut feeling is that there was an honest chat on Monday about the Port Vale performance and the players said they would make it right and so he kept faith with them. Hence why he is using the word "dishonest".

It's a wake up call and, generally, whenever this has happened in the past, there's been a positive reaction.

wish I didn't but I totally agree. , Oxley was really playing well before he was injured and I don't think that Ted has been playing to the same level in every game (and yes I thought that when we were winning as well). Still, despite the fact that maybe he should have done better, in both occasions we had ample opportunity to stop the guy from shooting

I'm afraid it's part of his style always has been and always will be. If you remember last year at about this time he was accusing players go being "homers" people who were afraid of playing away from home just because we kept getting beaten by better sides than us. He has plenty of time to temper his statement yesterday after the game. Apparently he spent 45 minutes on the pitch talking to the coaching staff before he did his interview on BBC Essex.

He couldn't blame the ref and nothing is ever his fault - so he has to come up with some outlandish comment. And he rarely gives the opposition any credit for beating us. It's always some one else's inadequacies - never his fault.

I wish he would just keep his big gob shut.

I wonder which player he'll now marginalise and drive out of the club... Oh hang on, the club captain's already been given the heave-ho, strange how our form hasn't improved since that bad apple was removed....

A wide pitch and starting with 4 central midfielders on the pitch was always a recipe for disaster

Yep....said the same when team announced....Timlin just gravitates towards the centre of the pitch.

Shame none of them could put a block in let alone a decent tackle on both goals, which came down the middle. Two of our most consistent and important players, Lenny and Anton were pathetic. Watch them dip their toe in the bath, or Wordsworth and Timlin on the first goal. Forget PB, they should be on the radio apologising. Instead some people want to blame Ted Smith.

The PB haters are out...they love a crap performance.
As for publicly criticising players? Well I am angry and embarrassed when a manager does the "couldn't ask anymore from the boys" routine after a dire defeat. Now that is dishonest!

I wonder which player he'll now marginalise and drive out of the club... Oh hang on, the club captain's already been given the heave-ho, strange how our form hasn't improved since that bad apple was removed....

?

Our form massively improved since Barrett was dropped. If you're talking about his retirement that was probably Barrett's choice since Millwall were offering him a position.

Back