• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

On the whole the players didn't play particularly badly. They stood up well against Burton for much of the game. It was the subs that lost it for us tonight. But it was worth a gamble to try and go for all 3 points.

Agreed on that point, I didn't agree with the first two subs, but would have done something similar for the third. I wouldn't have thought that Thompson would have been the best option to take off, effectively stopping Coker/White getting forward, or at least limiting the extent to which they could, but I agreed with putting a striker on for a defender, it's what we've been crying out for from Brown all season and he hasn't done. Tonight we gambled and we lost, unfortunately that's football.

So we have the two most bang in form strikers in the league, sub one off
worrall on a bad day is still a class above and still could win us the game, subbed off and publicly criticised by brown?!

Do us a favour brown. Sick and tired of the same crap excuses! This is league two we don't make premier league based subs to play a man in the hole against a side who'll kick **** out of anyone!

another season in league two calling, we can't manage the playoffs

To be fair, when Phil Brown finally did the post match interview on BBC essex he did concede that the substitutes not being right were his responsibility, but also said we were awful in the second half, and he wanted to take the pressure off the players by saying that the autos are gone, and the playoffs are by no means guaranteed.

Now, I wasn't there and wasn't able to listen to the game either so can't comment on our performance. Still disappointed with the result, as it sounds as though we had the opportunity to beat them. We need to come out all guns blazing on Saturday and beat Cambridge convincingly.

To be fair, when Phil Brown finally did the post match interview on BBC essex he did concede that the substitutes not being right were his responsibility, but also said we were awful in the second half, and he wanted to take the pressure off the players by saying that the autos are gone, and the playoffs are by no means guaranteed.

Now, I wasn't there and wasn't able to listen to the game either so can't comment on our performance. Still disappointed with the result, as it sounds as though we had the opportunity to beat them. We need to come out all guns blazing on Saturday and beat Cambridge convincingly.

Come out all guns blazing and beat Cambridge convincingly. Barely done either of those all season and especially at home, expect Saturday to be the usual cagey bore fest. We may well win but don't expect it to be convincing. Got a feeling tonight might have a major impact on the remainder of the season. That would have have been tough to take and the tangoed **** has already said in public that we can't make the autos. Not what the fans or players need to hear right now.

Heard him too saying about second half even though we had the extra man, we sat off them too much. Surely it's his job to tell the players to get stuck in more and press and make the extra man count!!!! :angry:

Killed the shape that Burton were running ragged? Paul Clarke was saying we weren't playing with enough width and were too compact which was allowing Burton to play. They scored and he changed to 4-5-1, widening the midfield and stretching Burton. Everyone's quick to blame the subs after we've lost but for me he did the right thing in both situations by going 4-5-1 and then 3 at the back.

Was you at the match?

We dominated the first 57 minutes, Burton broke via a long cross field pass that caught Coker out. We were still on top in a
4-4-2 formation. We was hitting Corr, Piggott then fed off him and played in the supporting runners from midfield.

At 1-1 Brown panicked and went 4-5-1 and we were THEN run ragged!!!!

Was you watching a different game???

First half we were the better side, then second half up till the equaliser we forced the Burton keeper in to 3/4 saves in 12 minutes, Burton created nowt.

I'm really puzzled with your thoughts, even more so if you wasn't there!!!! I can only assume that your a wind up merchant

ok here is my take on it tonight Brown is totally to blame cannot believe people were watching the same game as me.
we were totally dominant 1st half 11v11
We came out second half and had plenty of ball almost keeping it at will in the opening moments of the second half they then scored a very good goal on the counter.
This is the bit that gets me mad Corr and the Pig were causing there back four trouble all night then he takes Pig off WHY????
The 2 up top were on the end of most things this allowed by going 1 up top the center halfs to go basically 2 at the back and the full backs to push into wide areas it totally allowed burton to play their excellent counter attack style of play.
Why did you panic Mr Brown and to bring payne on was a big mistake he is not suited to feeding off scraps in a real blood and thunder game where tackles and lack of time were evident.
Corr worked his socks off and if we had stayed at 442 im sure we would have won the game.
We had eleven why did he panic when they drew level ???
Strange
Anyhow great turnout of blues fans well done to us all.

Blimey can we all take a deep breath, it's been an odd season so far, and no doubt this wont be the last emotional rollercoaster of the season, that comes with following the shrimpers.

The facts are that we are all hugely dissapointed with the fact that we lost, whilst being 1-0 up to a 10 man opposition team. Corr had his penalty saved etc.

However prior to tonights game, we were playing not only the league leaders, but also the 2nd strongest team to play at home (they've got 41 of their 70 points at their home ground, furthermore they had only let in 9 goals all season and scored 26, whilst we had a zero goal difference, so when we let in as many as we scored, we were always on the backfoot).

As other people have previously mentioned on here, I dont place 100% of the blame on Brown's door, I dont strongly agree or disagree with Browns tactics, the players have to man up and take some responsibility for their indivdual performances also, and "Lady Luck" wasnt on our side tonight, made even more so painfull to lose to an 89th minute goal.

Thats just hope that both Brown and the players can move on from this result, keep their heads up (hopefully the winding up order has been sorted out) and put it in a good performance and get 3 points on Saturday against Cambridge. Let's all try to be more positive, and hope that "Lady Luck" shows up for us with the TBV at roots hall on saturday afternoon, and other results will go our way. If not, im still certain we will make up for tonights game in our matches in April.

UTB
:happy:

We have 11 players who are able to take us up via the playoffs. Trouble is when we make subs they invariably turn out to be useless and put in a poor shift. This is our Achilles heel. Sort it Phil or it's league two next year again.

So, after a game which we "won at a canter", according to an ex-Blues manager in a conversation I had with him Monday, suddenly we're not good enough against the top team in the division who are, and always have been, one of our bogey teams, and are extremely disciplined under a great old ex-pro in J F-H.

I don't have a criticism over Brown's subs in theory, they should have worked, however, I wouldn't have taken Tommo off. If you're going to go three at the back then Coker should have been the one to go, leaving you with three centre backs, one right sided, one left sided and one central. Cokes seems to be a bit off the boil at the moment, which is odd for someone previously so consistent.

Not sure Payne or Weston were the right choice either, Jack hasn't got the experience to play in some games and was a bit of a gamble, and Weston is so erratic. Did very well in his last appearance and caused loads of problems, yesterday was not one of his better appearances by all accounts. Cassidy should have come on for Piggot in my opinion.

Good old ShrimperZone, after such positivity then suddenly there is wholesale doom and gloom on here when really we should be thinking bloody Burton though, always a thorn in our side!

We are still in the play offs people!

And with a lot of the top teams playing each other soon, we need to keep going and hope these games go the right way for us so you never know? :whistling:

Heard him too saying about second half even though we had the extra man, we sat off them too much. Surely it's his job to tell the players to get stuck in more and press and make the extra man count!!!! :angry:

And he probably did tell them that at half time - not much you can do after the game has restarted - again stop laying all the blame on Brown; the players have to take responsibility!!!

White as captain gets off lightly. Where are the leaders in the team? On paper it looks an expected score but we could have been 2 up against 10 men and we bottled it. A bad run now will mean dropping out of playoffs. We are nearer 8th than 3rd.

What amazes me week after week is the armchair fans having such passionate views on the way the game was going and tactics during the game. The majority was not there last night, think only around 250/300 of us made the trip, the rest sat at home on the sofa...hoping we explode so they can moan at Phil Brown negative tactics. I can't be bothered to read the match thread as I was actually there but I can only assume everyone was calling for us to go for it when he put Cassidy on? Then we lose and everyone moans about the change?

Clueless fans that don't go game. Maybe you would all be better supporting a premier league club, you can then stream the game from your armchairs and debate the game with a view.

Regardless of how the match played oit, we have lost against top of the league. We go again Saturday.

17th January 2015
Southend losing 2-1 at half-time with 10 men away from home
Brown says something at half-time
Brown makes some subs
Southend win the game 3-2

2 months later
Southend winning 1-0 at half-time against 10 men away from home
Brown says something at half-time
Brown makes some subs
Southend lose the game 2-1

Jeez people. It happens. Often. To all sorts of teams. Always has. Always will.

This. Get some perspective! The Oppo being a man and a goal down does not guarantee victory!

In the world of hard knocks, isn't blaming the players rather like like blaming workers when a company fails? PB wil have to re-assemble his troops following a psychologically, demoralising and damaging defeat. Only people who believe in fairies at the bottom of the garden, can continue to believe that automatics are a possibility. So, he's going to have to do it the tough way........through the play-offs. One of the big problems from last night was that, not only does it end our belief in automatic promotion but it also raises questions concerning the strength and mentality of the side, when the chips are down.
As far as last night was concerned perhaps one of the major turning points was their red card. No matter what we felt about it, the commentators were saying that Burton were seething with a feeling of injustice and came out with the determination to right a wrong in the second-half (Our away game at Portsmouth last season comes to mind). They got a lucky break and took their chance with both hands. I found the Pigott substitution strange and if it were just for tiredness, Cassidy seemed the obvious replacement. I mentioned on the OMT that, as soon as Pigott came off, Corr just disappeared from the commentary.
Yet, picking on individual decisions that Phil Brown makes, can tend to take our eye off the real ball. Phil Brown assembled the side (apparently, without many of the financial restraints that previous managers suffered). In comparison to previous seasons he has seems to have had less problems with injuries to important players and hasn't appeared to be hampered in bringing in replacements. Hasn't the weather also been kinder, meaning that we have had rather less heavy pitches to play on? In brief, this season has proffered him many advantages. Phil Brown trains the side, selects the team, dictates the tactics, establishes the mind set of the players and makes the substitutions. If we ultimately fail to gain promotion this season, then he has failed and I'm afraid it's Phil Brown who carries the can...........he has two months to save our season and his job.

Unlucky Phil ?? He had to play a joker because the idiot took off Piggott and replaced him with a midfielder. If he had swapped him with Cassidy there would have been no need to reduce our defence at all. The guy simply panicked as he did at Stevengage and at home to Accrington. Then to really rub it in, he blames his palyers rather than himself. Time to go Brown !!

How many late goals have we conceded this season?
Too many, which indicates lower fitness levels to the opposition.

Back