• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Over the years I have seen all of our promotions out of this fourth tier and I feel that this current squad falls short of the others under Tilly, Webby and Dave Smith. We need a bit more quality in various areas. At the moment we look like a team who will win more than we lose but not good enough for automatic promotion. Brown has signed many players but very few look good enough to play at the next level.

Over the years I have seen all of our promotions out of this fourth tier and I feel that this current squad falls short of the others under Tilly, Webby and Dave Smith. We need a bit more quality in various areas. At the moment we look like a team who will win more than we lose but not good enough for automatic promotion. Brown has signed many players but very few look good enough to play at the next level.
Spot on, well said:smile:

To have players from the next level you have to be payers from that level

Losing to Burton hurt but was only our ninth loss in the league this season. Fifth in the league with a great chance of the autos but yet some of our supporters are so fickle they want Brown out. agree he's not perfect but the perfect ones manage the likes of Chelsea etc.

We have no divine right to promotion. It seems overdue but we have no right to it. Every season this division seems to gain one or two strong teams from above and one normally from the conference.

On that score Luton have lost their last four or five. Bad form can happen to the best teams. The secret to a good season is keeping your bad run as short as possible

I'd have to agree here - I think the outlook is incredibly bleak, and I see no other alternative than us dropping in to the Conference at the end of the season...... Oh, hang on, I've made a mistake here, we're not in the bottom 2, but we're 5th inthe table and bang in the middle of a promotion race... Not that you would ever think that from this thread!!

There is a constant backdrop of criticism on this board relating to Brown, especially when results do not go our way, and last night is again a case in point. Is it not about time that the players took some of the responsibility here? The ONLY place to put the blame for last night is squarely at their door - Their attitude, in my opinion, was totally wrong after half time and they thought they had done enough to win the game, given our numeric and score line advantage. It was abundantly clear from his post match interview that he had told them not to drop off, not to lower their intensity and to continue doing all the things that had got us in front in the first place, and yet they did none of that.

The subsitutions can be questioned as they didn't change the game as we would have wanted them to - But I do not have any issue with Brown going 3 at the back trying to get the victory - as someone has already pointed out, he gets crucified when he is too defensive and yet he is now coming under fire for being adventurous - He's damned either way.

I'm certainly not Brown's biggest fan, and in my eyes, he certainly has his flaws, but seriously, this level of animosity being directed at him when we're still in with a shout of promotion, at the very least the play offs, is just not warranted. We do not have a devine right to get promoted - just look at Portsmouth - and perhaps our squad isn't quite as good as some of us believe it is. That said, the level of performance against Wycombe. Dagenham and the first half last night would suggest that the manager is not completely devoid of ideas and knowledge!

Personally, I think the players need a bit of a kick up the backside - I respect Brown for what he did last night in so far as taking full responsibility, but maybe he would have been better for not doing that and making the players look at themselves.

I really believe that his constant gnawing away at Brown and his managerial ability is counter productive, and arguably, inaccurate. Playoffs last season and still in the race fo automatic this season, albeit it is now less likely, is hardly the stuff that nightmares are made of, and he's done no worse that Mr Sturrock who was revered at this club.

Agreed that's where we are, but that's the trouble, we have been there most of the season. Tactical inability by PB has restricted us from being in that elusive top 3. We are in the play offs in spite of PB being the manager, not because PB is the manager.

This tactical inability means if we remain in the play offs, we will fail miserably and still be in L2 next season. For me, the only way we will get promoted is by being in the top 3 after 46 games and PB does not have that ability in his locker

Agreed that's where we are, but that's the trouble, we have been there most of the season. Tactical inability by PB has restricted us from being in that elusive top 3. We are in the play offs in spite of PB being the manager, not because PB is the manager.

This tactical inability means if we remain in the play offs, we will fail miserably and still be in L2 next season. For me, the only way we will get promoted is by being in the top 3 after 46 games and PB does not have that ability in his locker

I keep hearing that we should be top three, Brown out etc. So he must have assembled a great squad of players. All achieved with minimal spend on transfers and wages as we are 11th in turnover in the division.

I can see an excellent role for PB next year..... Director of football.... he can continue with his brilliant permanent/loan signings all on lower wages than some other L2 clubs. With a new first team coach with much better tactical ability we would clearly stroll through this division as champions next season.

After match 5 I said on here we are 5 points adrift from top spot and I feared back then we would never make up lost ground,32 league games later we are now 7points off 3 rd.

Back