• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

shrimper_jc

Very much looking forward to the game today, but this added a slight worry line on my brow this morning..

http://the72.co.uk/79095/portsmouth-appoint-southend-united-manager-new-boss/

:sad:

The URL of the link really should read 'portsmouth-POSSIBLY-TRYING-TO-appoint-southend-united-manager-new-boss' - very misleading!!

Not sure if this is a viable website for rumours (although they are quoting from the Sun). Could this be a thing?. Lots of IF's in the article, apparently they are due a takeover but i'm wondering if Brown was offered loads of cash by an ex-premiership club, with lets face it a very large fanbase, could he be tempted?. I would like to think not.....

Make of it what you will!.

Up the Blues!!

Non story, that. If he left at the end of the season, i'd expect him to manage in the Championship at least.

The source of this bull**** story says it all - The Sun newspaper are based in SE London, obviously one of their Millwall supporting scumbag guttersnipes has created this story to try to derail our push for promotion

In any case Paul Cook has virtually got Pompey promoted why would they sack him now?

Absolute garbage story

Bit of a non-story at this stage for me. Guiding a club of our size to the League One playoffs (if we get there) would be a tremendous achievement IMO and is sure to turn heads when other clubs are looking for a new manager. It comes with the territory, if you do well then others want to steal your best talent.

Both this and the Lenny to Sheffield Utd stories have come from the same website and as it's a site I've only recently become aware of I have no idea if their sources are likely to be accurate. Time will tell on that I suppose.

I just think everyone with Southend United, fans, players and managers alike should be focussed on our next game at the moment. Transfers and the like are for the summer!

I can't stand these 'Brown to' threads. He's been linked to about 20 clubs since he's been here, and he's still here. Part of the problem is posters want to be the first to mention it when he finally moves on.

Both this and the Lenny to Sheffield Utd stories have come from the same website and as it's a site I've only recently become aware of I have no idea if their sources are likely to be accurate. Time will tell on that I suppose.
All they do is rehash stories from other papers, and both stories have come from the Sun originally.

A few possibilities:
  1. The Sun is making up untrue stories (what a shock that would be)
  2. They're both true
  3. Phil has a contact there and wants a bit more money this summer so is pushing these kinds of stories to force RMs hand
  4. Total coincidence
Can't see him going to Pompey unless they offer ridiculous amounts of money, he'd effectively be taking a step back to where we were two years ago and abandoning his project here.

That's if Portsmouth even look for a new manager, given that Paul Cook is fairly popular down there it would be a rave move by the new owner to sack the manager who has just won promotion as your first big call.

Another slow news day!

This is the problem with 24/7 news coverage.

In the past, all you got was what went into 40 odd pages, once a day, so things like Tommy Docherty might be going to Liverpool and somesuch, we'd know nothing about, unless it happened.

When I saw the title "Brown to Portsmouth" I presumed that it was a reference to him getting a ferry from there for his summer holidays.

Hash tag: Gotthatonewrong

Assuming that Pompey get promoted then this rumour would begin to make sense. Let's face it, they're a bigger club than ours and PB would have the advantage of knowing this league inside out. All that knowledge would be an attraction. Plus, I think Pompey are being bought out by the ex Disney boss so a change of management usually happens when the ownership changes.

Does not make any sense at all.

The only way Portsmouth are going to be looking for a new manager is if they do not gain promotion so why would Phil drop down a league.

Even in League One Portsmouth are not an attractive proposition as their expectations tend to outweigh their ability.

If a Championship club comes in for Phil then I would understand him being interested but at this level as Ron demonstrated at the beginning of the season he is about as secure you can be in football management and at club on an upward curve.

Does not make any sense at all.

The only way Portsmouth are going to be looking for a new manager is if they do not gain promotion so why would Phil drop down a league.

Even in League One Portsmouth are not an attractive proposition as their expectations tend to outweigh their ability.

If a Championship club comes in for Phil then I would understand him being interested but at this level as Ron demonstrated at the beginning of the season he is about as secure you can be in football management and at club on an upward curve.

I agree with all of this. Why would he want to leave, he has a chairman who backs him and PB knows the potential of the club. With a new ground, playing Championship football we'd get 15k easily.

Well first they need to be taken over and that isn't a certainly.

Would be a sidestep unless they have a lot of money, big club or not.

It would be a car crash for him to move to Portsmouth, he is better off carrying on with us and building his stock and earning a job in the Championship or if he's lucky a struggling Prem team.

Now Birmingham could be one .....

Not sure about that. Instead of working for a chairman like Ron (who to be fair has stood by PB) he'd be working for the chairman that sacked Gary Rowett with the club in 7th. Suspect no one will leave their current post to go there, and they'll pick up someone who's jobless.

PB is flirting with his second promotion so must be on the radar of clubs at a higher level. If he can pick something up in the championship this summer (assuming we don't get there) that might not be a bad bet for him - he walks away with his reputation restored and with us certainly having moved forwards.

PB will be here next season ,off that im certain,papers like the sun love to spread gossip a reporter heard from someone in a babrbers shop or down the local ,its how the lazy buggars get their stories , most too lazy to get off their fat asses and work for a story.
:thumbdown:

Back