• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

IMO , we have nobody in midfield that can dictate a game.
Leonard , Atkinson and Timlin all have attributes but none of them are over creative.
Although this is maybe not a great example , as we beat them , but Woods of Shrewsbury was that type of player.
A guy that moved his team forward with purpose.
We lack that.
Payne has moments of inspiration and will undoubtedly improve with more experience , but I see his 'moments' as being largely individual and not a game dictator.
That is not a criticism of Payne and would be amazed if someone so young , in his first full season , ran the game.
My point is that although one of the major complaints on here are our strikers and their lack of goals , I think the problem also lies with a midfield that doesn't create.
People are crying out for Brown to play two strikers , but the only viable option IMO would be to drop Payne.
Would the dissenters accept that ?
It's too simplistic to say 'play two up top' - the team still needs balance.

I think the point people are making, is that if we continue to knock balls in the air to Corr for him to flick on, he needs another striker to latch onto them. You could have the best centre midfielder in the country, but if the ball is flying over his head he's not going to dictate any games.

The midfield is the problem for me
The back four have to knock it longer than they are good at because no one is dropping back to take the ball off them.
The forward gets isolated because the only support (JP) is having to drop back because the midfielders are not pushing on.
Its as if they have been told to stay in an area 20 yards either side of the halfway line.
Which is not a problem when the opposition have the ball but they don't change it once in possession .

I think the point people are making, is that if we continue to knock balls in the air to Corr for him to flick on, he needs another striker to latch onto them. You could have the best centre midfielder in the country, but if the ball is flying over his head he's not going to dictate any games.

Yaya Toure/Fabregras etc would look great running onto balls held up by Barry Corr.

The midfield is the problem for me
The back four have to knock it longer than they are good at because no one is dropping back to take the ball off them.
The forward gets isolated because the only support (JP) is having to drop back because the midfielders are not pushing on.
Its as if they have been told to stay in an area 20 yards either side of the halfway line.
Which is not a problem when the opposition have the ball but they don't change it once in possession .

Agree with this,

The centre mid should always be available to have the ball from the defenders yet we either go sideways or the big boot which invariably flies out of play.

can we not get mr eastwood in to help out with the attack plays he lives up the road he loves the club my view it would be a good move

" The centre mids should always be available to have the ball from the defenders "

Maher did that, he always had "Give me the ball" about him. Timlin used to but doesn't seem to now.

(boils head in mercury for agreeing with mrsblue)

The last time Brown played 2 genuine forwards with one of them being quick resulted in a superb 3 0 win,it is not rocket science.

For someone who doesn't attend games you know sooooo much !
Please address all the points and not use it as an excuse to trot out the same thing time and time again.
I would be happy to win 3-0 but would you drop Payne to make that happen ?
If not , who ?
How would you balance the team ?

For someone who doesn't attend games you know sooooo much !
Please address all the points and not use it as an excuse to trot out the same thing time and time again.
I would be happy to win 3-0 but would you drop Payne to make that happen ?
If not , who ?
How would you balance the team ?

I stated on here nearly a year ago...Payne and Williams up top.

Ball played to feet/flanks/over the top their youth/power/pace will reap the rewards.

The problem with Payne is that he is too light weight. Yesterday he got bullied all game and created very little. Teams are starting to suss him out. I think too many people are pinning their hopes on him at present. Certainly wouldn't give him a hope upfront against big league 2 CB. For me our best midfield would if on form hurst and Worrell out wide, Timlin and Leonard in the centre. Then Corr, who I don't think has done badly this season with a quick striker next to him, maybe Elliott lee. The 4-3-3 system just doesn't work, at home especially.

I stated on here nearly a year ago...Payne and Williams up top.

Ball played to feet/flanks/over the top their youth/power/pace will reap the rewards.

So are you seriously saying that one year ago , a combination of Williams and Payne would have been the answer to our lack of goals ?
Both have potential , but that claim is frankly absurd !

What a prick!

Nothing wrong the the chances being created for me. Could have had a hatful at Cambridge and yesterday but it's been staring everyone in the face since August we need a forward and this moron has been oblivious to it.

The thing is, we have shown it can work in this formation, it did so at Cambridge. Corr had his best game in ages, winning almost every ball, and Payne & Hurst (in his best game for ages) weren't often far from him when he did, and they had several chances to show for it - finishing them was the problem. I guess we just need a plan B for when the opposition figure it out and start to track the runners, and frustrate BBBC.

Lenny isn't driving forward any more, and Atkinson is a steady eddy who rarely makes any mistakes, because he doesn't dare try anything, meaning he rarely creates. Payne is a luxury player who can provide a spark, but also goes missing, so agree that we need to change that. It's why it's a surprise that Timlin's been dropped, he's the vocal encouragement that Payne needs when he's having his quiet patches, he drives into the box, he tries to create (admittedly this doesn't always come off, but the crowd need not to crucify our players for every mistake, and instead appreciate what he's trying to achieve), and he's also smart enough to cover Lenny to make them bursts into the box that were so effective last season.

Agree with this. Its a crime Timlin is not starting.

Back