• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Get David Crown in for coaching.
That'll be the David Crown that had a big love in at Cambridge the other day??!!! Anyone else feel slightly awkward about that?

Just get Britt on speaker phone or face time!

We are creating chances, it's need our forward to stick their chances away, yesterday, Dagger keeper was lucky with his save, as rebounce could easily land into our players feet and it's in the back of the net.

We are in good position in the table, one more forward can make an massive difference, so I hope PB is looking around the loan market!

Well, "that" striker ain't going to be Barnard by all accounts, out for 6 weeks with an ankle injury! Cheers Stevenage!

I noticed Craig Fagan congratulated Williams on Twitter following his appearance against Dagenham. Suggests he might still be floating around somewhere at the club. If he's still been training and in good shape, he'd be an ideal signing in January. I'd imagine he'd be a lot less in wages than O'Toole and would add so much more value to the squad.

Phil Brown's comment is really puzzling given his clear determination to play only one striker up front. Is he looking for a goal-scoring lone striker to replace Barry Corr or is he contemplating changing to a 4-2-2 formation to accommodate a new striker? If he is going to change to 4-2-2, he should use start using his existing forwards to see who might be Corr's best strike partner before bringing anyone in.

If Phil still looking for a goal-scoring mid-field player, he could solve that problem by playing Conor Clifford on a regular basis alongside Leonard and saying goodbye to Gary Deegan. He keeps saying Deegan brings something different to the team but it comes at some cost to the team as a whole, particularly in the goal-scoring area. I hope the manager is smart enough not to allow personal likes and dislikes to dictate his team selection. From the outside at least, Clifford has not been treated fairly and his exclusion from the team really needs to be ended.

Phil Brown's comment is really puzzling given his clear determination to play only one striker up front. Is he looking for a goal-scoring lone striker to replace Barry Corr or is he contemplating changing to a 4-2-2 formation to accommodate a new striker? If he is going to change to 4-2-2, he should use start using his existing forwards to see who might be Corr's best strike partner before bringing anyone in.

If Phil still looking for a goal-scoring mid-field player, he could solve that problem by playing Conor Clifford on a regular basis alongside Leonard and saying goodbye to Gary Deegan. He keeps saying Deegan brings something different to the team but it comes at some cost to the team as a whole, particularly in the goal-scoring area. I hope the manager is smart enough not to allow personal likes and dislikes to dictate his team selection. From the outside at least, Clifford has not been treated fairly and his exclusion from the team really needs to be ended.

You do know Deegan has been injured and not playing recently? Clifford went right off the boil before being dropped and I certainly wouldn't put him in the box to box goal scoring midfielder bracket either.

We all know Browns philosophy is strongly based on the clean sheet mentality. This permeates every aspect of his thinking and clearly the culture runs right throughout the team. It is not a mindset that embraces getting forward fast at every opportunity and going for it, whatever formation is adopted.
It has been absolutely clear for 2 seasons that we need capable strikers. brown has completely failed to address this issue. yes you could call him unlucky with Elliot Lee, but that was already a play to late in my opinion. Presumably Phil the great had a large hand in purchasing Weston as a striker, bringing in Barnard and Coulthirst. Barnard is now out until at least mid Feb, not a player I saw as scoring hardly any goals for us and as for Weston as a striker??
Meanwhile I repeat that Allardyce said the MAIN difference to West Ham was NOT the formation, nor the style of play, but having a significant INCREASE and CHOiCE in the number of Strikers at his disposal. Strikers are people who can kick the ball into the net when given an opportunity. We could now be said to have just Corr and Williams. The average number of strikers per side in this league is 6! Maybe Brown should bring in 4 more? To help change his mindset?

" The centre mids should always be available to have the ball from the defenders "

Maher did that, he always had "Give me the ball" about him. Timlin used to but doesn't seem to now.

(boils head in mercury for agreeing with mrsblue)

Can't believe I overlooked the obvious. Get Maher playing the second half of the season !

The matter regarding a new striker has fast become a farce. Many have pointed out the need for more before the season even started. PB dismissed it and came out several times saying we had good enough strikers and they will 'click' eventually.

PB then loans out all but two strikers which left us Corr and Shaq. The teams in our league must have been quaking in their boots.

I would not give PB a four year deal until he earns it. Right now I would not give PB four more games to start showing he really gets lg 2 football.

The matter regarding a new striker has fast become a farce. Many have pointed out the need for more before the season even started. PB dismissed it and came out several times saying we had good enough strikers and they will 'click' eventually.

PB then loans out all but two strikers which left us Corr and Shaq. The teams in our league must have been quaking in their boots.

I would not give PB a four year deal until he earns it. Right now I would not give PB four more games to start showing he really gets lg 2 football.

Im sure he gets league 2 football but your right about PB making a huge error with the strikers, it was apparent last season that there were problems and he has erred badly in failing to address that issue but there is still time to get it right.

Im sure he gets league 2 football but your right about PB making a huge error with the strikers, it was apparent last season that there were problems and he has erred badly in failing to address that issue but there is still time to get it right.

Well I am not sure he gets lg 2 football. He seems to be on a mission to subscribe to tactics perhaps better suited to higher leagues with better quality personnel.

Everything is about the five behind the striker. His last throw of the dice was to bring in an unwanted mid, JJOT, to yet again hopefully bolster goals from midfield instead of getting a striker that can contribute.

We have Hurst and Worrall. Two very good players at our level, both capable of goals and assists, and what are they made to do? Well they can both cross into the box for an imaginary striker, you know, the one that too busy helping out in defence to be at the business end of an attack.

Worrall will work his way into the box and how many times have we heard about how well he jumps for a little 'un? I don't want him jumping when his feet are his best attributes.

Hurst, Leonard, Clifford and Timlin will shoot far more times than they will work it into the box. Why? Lg2 lump defenders are great at blocking and heading away. What they are not so good at is stopping nippy beggars running in the box. Not without fouling them anyway.

There are so many strange, strange decisions going on here. I am not a football manager or a coach and I am sure many on here will tell me PB knows better but like many I have watched the game for decades and we are no mugs at knowing what is good and what is bad in terms of a player or a tactic.

You think PB gets lg 2?

Sorry to upset the easily led crowd that love this forum. I spoke to PB back in July and the two players he wanted were a decent striker and a commanding centre back who could score from sett pieces. This costs money- fees, wages. I think you'll find RM decided that's not what was needed. Maybe RM as every right to be cautious considering the state the club was in only a few years ago.
We played Corr and Barnard together vs Bury for those that have forgot, Seems to be a bad case of 'Geordie-itis' at roots hall this season. Friends of mine don't go not just because of the lack of goals but the moaning we have to suffer around us in the east stand.

Sorry to upset the easily led crowd that love this forum. I spoke to PB back in July and the two players he wanted were a decent striker and a commanding centre back who could score from sett pieces. This costs money- fees, wages. I think you'll find RM decided that's not what was needed. Maybe RM as every right to be cautious considering the state the club was in only a few years ago.
We played Corr and Barnard together vs Bury for those that have forgot, Seems to be a bad case of 'Geordie-itis' at roots hall this season. Friends of mine don't go not just because of the lack of goals but the moaning we have to suffer around us in the east stand.

Well I am afraid that says a lot. Whether you feel PB is harshly criticised and it is RM's fault or not, Southend is one of 24 league clubs. The other 23 have many of the constraints we do and build their team accordingly. How many of them do you think would have liked 25k to splash out as we did with bolger? How many of them would have liked to be able to sign as many midfielders as we have?

PB has got his priorities very wrong and if he thought success at lg2 level was about opening the cheque book then he really is a dreamer.

As for playing Corr and Barnard together earlier in the season, so what? I for one, and many others, have always felt they are not complimentary to each other. Each needs to be the fed player and two such players in a side is not sensible. Either/or was the call and another striker with them that can capitalise on their hold up play and lay offs.

Think I would have to slit my wrists reading this forum if we were in the bottom 2 ! People bemoan that apart from 3 other clubs, we are the lowest scorers and yet we are in an excellent position in the play offs !!!! So would people rather we have scored as many goals as a team in 10th place or be in the league position we are in ? In an ideal world I would love to see 4 -0 every game , but as a realist I would prefer us not tonlose, to pick up points that keep us in the play offs still in a position to push on for automatic promotion. We can't have everything. We don't score many goals BUT we don't conceed many goals. Maybe we should look at a forum fora team that score loads of goals and yet conceed more therefore meaning they are beneath us in the table !

Back