• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Agreed,

According to some on here we have had well over a billion shots so far this season yet scored I think once possibly twice from these efforts.

Would be interesting to know what our shots / goal ratio is and compared to other sides. As said on another thread, Northampton have a striker on 12 goals and as a team have scored 10 more than us. Yet if im right they have lost 11 of their last 14 and are struggling near the bottom. That would suggest that they also concede a fair few. Just goes to show that scoring plenty doesn't guarantee wins, but if we had their scoring stats we would probably be top based on our defensive record. Wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised if the game finishes 1-0 to either side on Saturday. I dont see us conceding too many, but obviously we are not scoring many either.

We have the 2nd most shots per game, 8th best shots on target % and (you guessed it) the worst shots on target to goals ratio.

So the problem is us not having enough shots because we are too defensive .... right?

Despite being told that we lacked fire power last season, if we had the same shots on target to goals ratio as last season (28.14%) then we would have 33 goals this season.

Would be interesting to know what our shots / goal ratio is and compared to other sides. As said on another thread, Northampton have a striker on 12 goals and as a team have scored 10 more than us. Yet if im right they have lost 11 of their last 14 and are struggling near the bottom. That would suggest that they also concede a fair few. Just goes to show that scoring plenty doesn't guarantee wins, but if we had their scoring stats we would probably be top based on our defensive record. Wouldn't be the slightest bit surprised if the game finishes 1-0 to either side on Saturday. I dont see us conceding too many, but obviously we are not scoring many either.

Not necessarily, to score more goals and be more attacking it may be the case that we sacrifice some of our solidity at the back. Throwing players forward does leave you open, it is all about balance and I think most people recognise that. Phil seems to recognise that we need to do something different in the final 3rd but is treating it with caution and trying not to sacrifice the good parts of our play. Evolution not revolution. It does seem a slow process and he hasn't found the formula but the last thing we'd want is to go into a slump of form like Northampton just so we score more.

We have the 2nd most shots per game, 8th best shots on target % and (you guessed it) the worst shots on target to goals ratio.

So the problem is us not having enough shots because we are too defensive .... right?

Despite being told that we lacked fire power last season, if we had the same shots on target to goals ratio as last season (28.14%) then we would have 33 goals this season.

interesting, although it has confused me further as to what the answer is.

Thanks to your profile pic I read all your posts with a Richard Ayoade deadpan delivery in my head haha

Playing 5 at the back is defensive.
playing a 5 man mid with 2 defensive midfielders behind a three is defensive
putting a midfield player in front of a back 4 to
a) fetch and carry when in possession reducing the need for the defence to play it long
b) Sit , allowing one of the central midfield to push on and support the forwards
isnt

Playing 5 at the back is defensive.
playing a 5 man mid with 2 defensive midfielders behind a three is defensive
putting a midfield player in front of a back 4 to
a) fetch and carry when in possession reducing the need for the defence to play it long
b) Sit , allowing one of the central midfield to push on and support the forwards
isnt

Playing 5 in the middle is ok away from home when searching for a point but at home it's boriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig,we should be far more offensive.

Put it this way the last 2 home games we earned 2 points,if we had attacked in numbers with 2 genuine forwards we may have won one and lost the other but gain an extra point.

I stated on here nearly a year ago...Payne and Williams up top.

Ball played to feet/flanks/over the top their youth/power/pace will reap the rewards.

Look at the date:hilarious:

Sorry could not resist.

Back