• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

As well as getting a striker who has hit the ground running the big difference for me has been the return of Coker from injury - as soon as he got fit and up to speed we started winning.

We have played 4 4 2 plenty of times earier in the season and no joy. A few things have turned us into title contenders.
Timlin has started bossing things in midfield last night he was unplayable in that first half.
Piggot. ..He sticks the ball in the net and to be honest that was our issue all along.
This is a weird one...cassidy, I don't really think he is that good but it seems to be working with him and piggy the one thing I've noted is that he does make clever runs/moves that give piggy space to operate in.

Not with genuine genuine forwards we haven't !

So in summary, its not just the formation then.

Formation and players.

If Phil had played Corr with any genuine forward I believe we had goals in the team.

If Phil goes back to 451 or 433 with piggy as the lone forward I think we would struggle to hit the net.

Formation and players.

If Phil had played Corr with any genuine forward I believe we had goals in the team.

If Phil goes back to 451 or 433 with piggy as the lone forward I think we would struggle to hit the net.

If you'd have gone last night, you'd have seen that only one of Pigott or Cassidy would stay up top and the other would go out wide. So is that 4-3-3, 4-5-1 or 4-4-2?

Still not heard your "genuine forward" explanation despite harping on about us needing one for ages.

If you'd have gone last night, you'd have seen that only one of Pigott or Cassidy would stay up top and the other would go out wide. So is that 4-3-3, 4-5-1 or 4-4-2?

I think you have forgotten the 4-4-1-1 formation option ......... although I think it is more of a 4-1-2-1-1-1 at times or at least a 4-1-2-1-2. But I'm not going to argue about it ...........

Hash tag: I'dratherwatchthegame

No discussion about OBL's innovative 452? I think it warrants further investigation on the training ground, I'm surprised that no one has thought of it before!:smile:

Still not heard your "genuine forward" explanation despite harping on about us needing one for ages.

Midweek games are very tough to attend !

Genuine forward for my money has the sixth sense to be in the right place at the right time!
Genuine forward will be able to read the line!
Genuine forward will gain the extra half a yard on their marker!
Genuine forward will hit the net hopefully once in every three games!

Midweek games are very tough to attend !

Genuine forward for my money has the sixth sense to be in the right place at the right time!

Not wishing to trunk in too much on this, but if we had a forward consistently capable of your four criteria above I would be amazed if he was playing in Div 2.

Not wishing to trunk in too much on this, but if we had a forward consistently capable of your four criteria above I would be amazed if he was playing in Div 2.

Pigy fits the bill nicely!

Williams 7 in 9/10 ain't too shabby either.

Sounds like David Crown should get his shorts back on again .................

No discussion about OBL's innovative 452? I think it warrants further investigation on the training ground, I'm surprised that no one has thought of it before!:smile:

Takes me back to 'rush goalies', jumpers for goalposts......:smile:

It was never about formations but about the balance between attack and defence.

Belatedly we have more attacking players on the pitch, getting into more advanced positions.

That's not just about the two up front, but also about those in midfield and those in defence - remember when we had Thompson at right-back and White at left-back? Urgh.

Obviously having a second forward on the pitch means we get more than one player into the box, but I suspect we actually had a decent record with 4-5-1 on the rare occasions when the two wide players were Hurst and Worrall and we had Payne in the middle, but how often has Brown had the balls to play them at the same time?

How often has Brown left out Timlin (who was excellent once more) in favour of a more conservative selection? Not every Timlin pass comes off, but he's the one who changes the angle and direction of attack and stops up playing in flat lines.

I also think that we are not the finished article yet.

The problem so far is Phil not knowing his best team and to a certain extent this has been resolved, but not entirely. Who would have thought pre Xmas that 1st choice CB's would be JBW & Thommo?

To be fair to Phil, he expected his 1st choice forwards/loanees to be more deadly in front of goal. Combined with (a continued) lack of reward from set pieces (although last night showed some sign of changing), when everything eventually clicks we will take someone apart i just hope I'm there when it happens.

9 wins from last 16 should be enough.

Back