• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

So one or two are now claiming that we've suddenly experienced an upturn in form due to the stubborn Brown "finally" getting, worse still, listening to what they've been clamouring for behind the keyboard for months. Obviously, we all know that player form, those pesky opposition teams, small print in contracts, random goalkeeping out-of-skin-manship, and the ability of our players to actually convert the damn chance when you've just got the keeper to beat are all infinitesimally small considerations compared to just sticking 4 in the middle, having 2 upfront and turning to Jason Williams but...

I'm curious...

We've got some great stattos on here. Is this whole 451, 442 claim a myth or reality?

Strikes me we've been there or thereabouts all season; the only difference has been finally securing the services of someone who knows how to stick it in the net (which is far easier on Football Manager than in real life)!

Don't knock all the brown haters SBH...the only reason we are winning is because Phil Brown has started listening to their football wisdom...

I believe it would be hard to prove either way...to me the 4-5-1 everyone harped on about quite often turned into a 4-3-3 and if a substitution was made quite often turned into 4-4-2.

My take,

We had Corr as the lone man,he has limited mobility and zero pace but battled for the ball,often outnumbered and isolated this ridiculous tactic was pony.

Now we have two mobile frontmen with one scoring for fun and everything look's very different.

I honestly believe if we had played 442 week in week out we would be top of the league!

451 and the so called 433 are way too boring.

My take,

We had Corr as the lone man,he has limited mobility and zero pace but battled for the ball,often outnumbered and isolated this ridiculous tactic was pony.

Now we have two mobile frontmen with one scoring for fun and everything look's very different.

I honestly believe if we had played 442 week in week out we would be top of the league!

451 and the so called 433 are way too boring.

Reading between the lines it seems what you're saying is that PB picked the team and formation based on the players available. He couldn't play 442 when Corr was the only striker at the club. (And that was through bad luck with whatshisname getting injured.)

Reading between the lines it seems what you're saying is that PB picked the team and formation based on the players available. He couldn't play 442 when Corr was the only striker at the club. (And that was through bad luck with whatshisname getting injured.)

Phil must have known his available forwards were looking in the knackers yard,he refused to give any of the untried any pitch time and then brought in JJ which lacked wisdom .

He wanted Shaq who has failed to deliver,he wanted Layne and Brown,He bigged up Williams then loaned him out.

It was a complete mess but thankfully the tide has turned and Phil has seen sense?

I normally only reply to people who have at least half an idea about football so PLEASE not another thread of Mrs Blue's utter rubbish.

Phil must have known his available forwards were looking in the knackers yard,he refused to give any of the untried any pitch time and then brought in JJ which lacked wisdom .

He wanted Shaq who has failed to deliver,he wanted Layne and Brown,He bigged up Williams then loaned him out.

It was a complete mess but thankfully the tide has turned and Phil has seen sense?

He sees the players day in, day out. If he didn't think any of the untried players were up to it, then there was no point him picking them. He got someone in, who unfortunately hasn't really hit the heights.

I don't blame him for that. It happens.

Either way, if you blame him for Shaq's failure, are you prepared to praise him for Piggott?

If someone can definitively say which formation we played for each game, then I can overlay that data on my season snake graph, which would be a good way of showing it.

Here are the games, if people can add to it that would be great (easier to crowdsource rather than do it myself!!:smile::smile:)

ENGLISH LEAGUE TWO Sa 09Aug 2014
Accrington 0 - 1 Southend
W

ENGLISH LEAGUE TWO Sa 16Aug 2014
Southend 2 - 0 Stevenage
W

ENGLISH LEAGUE TWO Tu 19Aug 2014
Southend 0 - 1 AFC W'bledon
L

ENGLISH LEAGUE TWO Sa 23Aug 2014
Carlisle 1 - 1 Southend
D

ENGLISH LEAGUE TWO Sa 30Aug 2014
Plymouth 2 - 0 Southend
L

ENGLISH LEAGUE TWO Sa 06Sep 2014
Southend 1 - 1 Oxford
D

ENGLISH LEAGUE TWO Sa 13Sep 2014
Southend 2 - 0 Portsmouth
W

ENGLISH LEAGUE TWO Tu 16Sep 2014
Cheltenham 0 - 1 Southend
W

ENGLISH LEAGUE TWO Sa 20Sep 2014
York 2 - 3 Southend
W

ENGLISH LEAGUE TWO Sa 27Sep 2014
Southend 1 - 0 Shrewsbury
W

ENGLISH LEAGUE TWO Sa 04Oct 2014
Southend 0 - 1 Morecambe
L

ENGLISH LEAGUE TWO Sa 11Oct 2014
Luton 2 - 0 Southend
L

ENGLISH LEAGUE TWO Sa 18Oct 2014
Southend 1 - 1 Exeter
D

ENGLISH LEAGUE TWO Tu 21Oct 2014
Newport Co 1 - 0 Southend
L

ENGLISH LEAGUE TWO Sa 25Oct 2014
Southend 1 - 1 Bury
D

ENGLISH LEAGUE TWO Sa 01Nov 2014
Mansfield 1 - 2 Southend
W

ENGLISH LEAGUE TWO Sa 15Nov 2014
Southend 1 - 0 Hartlepool
W

ENGLISH LEAGUE TWO Sa 22Nov 2014
Tranmere 1 - 2 Southend
W

ENGLISH LEAGUE TWO Sa 29Nov 2014
Southend 2 - 0 Northampton
W

ENGLISH LEAGUE TWO Sa 13Dec 2014
Wycombe 4 - 1 Southend
L

ENGLISH LEAGUE TWO Fr 19Dec 2014
Southend 0 - 0 Burton
D

ENGLISH LEAGUE TWO Fr 26Dec 2014
Cambridge U 0 - 1 Southend
W

ENGLISH LEAGUE TWO Su 28Dec 2014
Southend 0 - 0 Dag & Red
D

ENGLISH LEAGUE TWO Sa 03Jan 2015
Northampton 1 - 1 Southend
D

ENGLISH LEAGUE TWO Sa 10Jan 2015
Southend 0 - 0 Plymouth
D

ENGLISH LEAGUE TWO Sa 17Jan 2015
Oxford 2 - 3 Southend
W

ENGLISH LEAGUE TWO Sa 24Jan 2015
Portsmouth 1 - 2 Southend
W

ENGLISH LEAGUE TWO Sa 31Jan 2015
Southend 1 - 0 York
W

ENGLISH LEAGUE TWO Sa 07Feb 2015
Shrewsbury 1 - 1 Southend
D

ENGLISH LEAGUE TWO Tu 10Feb 2015
Southend 2 - 0 Cheltenham
W 442

I normally only reply to people who have at least half an idea about football so PLEASE not another thread of Mrs Blue's utter rubbish.[/QUOTE

Well try denying what mrsblue said. PB royally screwed up our early season chances with his disastrous signings for the forward berths. Even now, in fourth spot, with two people up front making the chances count, the game changes instantly with PB's substitutions. Thank god for Pigott who may well turn out to be Browns Freddy

He sees the players day in, day out. If he didn't think any of the untried players were up to it, then there was no point him picking them. He got someone in, who unfortunately hasn't really hit the heights.

I don't blame him for that. It happens.

Either way, if you blame him for Shaq's failure, are you prepared to praise him for Piggott?

Phil has been excellent in the defence department no question ,yes he has done very well getting Piggy .

Many on here were disturbed by the teams performances at home,there is after all only one man in the entire world who had the power to change the style of play.

If someone can definitively say which formation we played for each game, then I can overlay that data on my season snake graph, which would be a good way of showing it.

Here are the games, if people can add to it that would be great (easier to crowdsource rather than do it myself!!:smile::smile:)

W

Southend 2 - 0 Stevenage
W

L

Carlisle 1 - 1 Southend
D

Plymouth 2 - 0 Southend
L

Southend 1 - 1 Oxford
D

W

W

York 2 - 3 Southend
W

W

Southend 0 - 1 Morecambe
L

Luton 2 - 0 Southend
L

Southend 1 - 1 Exeter
D

L

Southend 1 - 1 Bury
D

Mansfield 1 - 2 Southend
W

W

Tranmere 1 - 2 Southend
W

W

Wycombe 4 - 1 Southend
L

Southend 0 - 0 Burton
D

W

Southend 0 - 0 Dag & Red
D

D

Southend 0 - 0 Plymouth
D

Oxford 2 - 3 Southend
W

W

Southend 1 - 0 York
W

D

W 442

Out of interest, have you updated your graph lately? I believe we're ahead of where we were this time last season, but it would be interesting to see that in graphical form.

I normally only reply to people who have at least half an idea about football so PLEASE not another thread of Mrs Blue's utter rubbish.[/QUOTE

Well try denying what mrsblue said. PB royally screwed up our early season chances with his disastrous signings for the forward berths. Even now, in fourth spot, with two people up front making the chances count, the game changes instantly with PB's substitutions. Thank god for Pigott who may well turn out to be Browns Freddy

Rigsby goes into the directors box home and away so obviously knows the game inside out.

W

Southend 2 - 0 Stevenage
W

L

Carlisle 1 - 1 Southend
D

Plymouth 2 - 0 Southend
L

Southend 1 - 1 Oxford
D

W

W

York 2 - 3 Southend
W

W

Southend 0 - 1 Morecambe
L

Luton 2 - 0 Southend
L

Southend 1 - 1 Exeter
D

L

Southend 1 - 1 Bury
D

Mansfield 1 - 2 Southend
W

W

Tranmere 1 - 2 Southend
W

W

Wycombe 4 - 1 Southend
L

Southend 0 - 0 Burton
D

W

Southend 0 - 0 Dag & Red
D

D

Southend 0 - 0 Plymouth
D

Oxford 2 - 3 Southend
W

W

Southend 1 - 0 York
W

D

W 442

I'm not sure what could be proven. The formations have been incidental compared to the personnel choices and team instructions.

I think its more to do with the players. Cassidy and Pigott look like a good partnership and you can see they have played at a higher level.

Back