• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

No he is just trying to explain how Football is....to people who don't quite understand.

I bow down to your superior knowledge about all things football related :Worthy:

You might not agree with my post but is there any need to be so belittling? We might disagree but I don't make cheap jibes about your intelligence.

Who was I trying to mug off? Actually don't worry about responding to that because I won't be replying back. Got better things to do than argue with a keyboard warrior. Have fun trying to troll someone else.

Your dick like comments could be a one off, I can't be sure because I don't come on here very often anymore (I wonder why)???? Orrrrrrr, you could be a repeat offender who was bullied at school??? Who know's.

Repeat offender.

I bow down to your superior knowledge about all things football related :Worthy:

You might not agree with my post but is there any need to be so belittling? We might disagree but I don't make cheap jibes about your intelligence.

Have any of those teams lost four of the last five though when in pole position, Bolton and Millwall compare perhaps.

However for me it's a crap argument, excusing our own failings by comparing with other teams inadequacies might make you feel better, but for me it's ridiculous! It's like Hartlepool saying that Leyton Orient have been terrible and got relegated, but we should be grateful that we're not that bad! Ludicrous! :nope:

Glasshouses and stones come to mind.

Glasshouses and stones come to mind.

Perhaps I was OTT, definitely with all the !!!'s, but I was only stating a differing opinion, I never made any personal attacks towards AndyT like you did towards me in questioning my intelligence. I see you've been annoying others too (again), I think I'll follow Matty's example and put you on ignore from now on.

Perhaps I was OTT, definitely with all the !!!'s, but I was only stating a differing opinion, I never made any personal attacks towards AndyT like you did towards me in questioning my intelligence. I see you've been annoying others too (again), I think I'll follow Matty's example and put you on ignore from now on.

Sorry but I just had to point out your hypocrisy. If you can't take it don't give it.

Don't worry your not the only one who repeats the myth of playing one up front. Shame you can't handle someone pointing it out and instead of discussing it you have a hissy fit and accuse them of trolling.

On the plus side at least Ricey was happy to remove some of your abuse towards me rather than deleting the whole post. That way you don't look as bad.
It's not a myth. We played one up front away at both Northampton and Rochdale (Mooney) and at home to Fleetwood (Cox).

Evan if we defeat bury and still dont make the playoffs as disappointed as i will be ,i know in the back ofmy mind that this season has been a success,PB has built on his squad ,now off season if he can keep the nucleus of that squad ,: Lenny,Cox,Ferdinand,Thompson,Coker ,Ranger,Wordsworth and build on it with 2 or 3 more Quality players then next season no matter who is coming down from championship or up from league 1 ,i think again we will be in the fray for top 6 and playoff position.Yes as disappinted as i have been these past 2 matches ,i still think this season has been a success.I believe we have the best manager that we can afford and we lucky to have him.:Worthy:

It's not a myth. We played one up front away at both Northampton and Rochdale (Mooney) and at home to Fleetwood (Cox).

And Millwall, Oxford and Peterborough at home - mind you we didn't loose any of those three. However some may argue that having Mooney in a two up front was the same as having one up front . He hasn't played since Rochdale (a).

I agree with most of this, but blaming PB for the start to the season, Isn't overly fair, in my view.

We were bedding in new players and settling on the best combinations, using them. We also had players who started poorly, themselves and we had to settle a new keeper in. All contributory factors to a stuttering start.

After a while, the likes of Sokolik, AB, Mooney and others needed to be replaced. Hence dipping in for Anton and getting Nile fit.

69 points from our season and a shout for the play-offs. I'd take that in July and definitely in September.

And we were the only team in the division doing this???

We were bedding in new players and settling on the best combinations, using them. We also had players who started poorly, themselves and we had to settle a new keeper in. All contributory factors to a stuttering start.

Isn't this what pre-season is for? Brown admitted he got caught out in the summer in respect of signings. I still have this theory that he really didn't expect to be here and was off to Bolton. His signing strategy has been for experienced pros that we probably get cheap because they have a history of injury problems. When they are fit we do well - if not we struggle. No one else wanted to take a risk on Fortune, Ranger and Ferdinand. This strategy has worked better this year but is only short term and we have a squad with a high average age. If Oxley had not got injured then our players (not loanees) under the age of 24 would have started less than 10 games between them this season. Payne and Bentley and Hall and Ferdinand before them will have financed some of this. There is no one at the moment who would attract a decent fee or compensation apart from Lenny. An no one wants to sell him.

Can't argue with some of that.

As has been mentioned before, though, how many people would have the patience for PB to build a young side over 5 years?

Football is a quick fix business, these days. I'd love us to put a team of 21 year olds out and watch them grow. Fact is, if any become half-decent, they get sold on, anyway. Rightly or wrongly, it's how it is.

Just as a matter of interest, this is the League One table after 5 games (The day we lost to Fleetwood at home) :-

http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/league-one/2016-2017/true-table/2016-08-27

In the top 8 are two sides who are relegated (if you include Port Vale, who will be tonight) and a couple of others who have dabbled with relegation.

In the bottom 8, including us, are 4 sides who have been close to the play-offs most of the second half of the season and the team that's romped away with the league.

It doesn't matter how you start, as long as the plan is to develop the side in the shape you need it for the full 46 games.

Last edited:
Evan if we defeat bury and still dont make the playoffs as disappointed as i will be ,i know in the back ofmy mind that this season has been a success,PB has built on his squad ,now off season if he can keep the nucleus of that squad ,: Lenny,Cox,Ferdinand,Thompson,Coker ,Ranger,Wordsworth and build on it with 2 or 3 more Quality players then next season no matter who is coming down from championship or up from league 1 ,i think again we will be in the fray for top 6 and playoff position.Yes as disappinted as i have been these past 2 matches ,i still think this season has been a success.I believe we have the best manager that we can afford and we lucky to have him.:Worthy:

Good that you point out SEVEN players who are exceptionally good!
And you could have added:
Fortune'-for now,anyway
McLaughlin-till recently
2 good keepers-not Ted,yet
Demetriou-sound defensively,inspirational going forward

and others who are very decent at this level: Innis,Timlin,Mooney,McGlashan and even White and Atkinson.
So surely you can see that if Brown,with all his assistants,were a good manager,we'd be up by now,not scrambling with clubs without many good players,to try and reach the play-offs?

Demetriou-sound defensively,inspirational going forward

Sorry to pick out just one line from your post but I feel like I must be the only supporter who doesn't see this in him at all. Maybe I'm going crazy. I actually think he's weak defensively and not that much better going forward.

Isn't this what pre-season is for? Brown admitted he got caught out in the summer in respect of signings. I still have this theory that he really didn't expect to be here and was off to Bolton. His signing strategy has been for experienced pros that we probably get cheap because they have a history of injury problems. When they are fit we do well - if not we struggle. No one else wanted to take a risk on Fortune, Ranger and Ferdinand. This strategy has worked better this year but is only short term and we have a squad with a high average age. If Oxley had not got injured then our players (not loanees) under the age of 24 would have started less than 10 games between them this season. Payne and Bentley and Hall and Ferdinand before them will have financed some of this. There is no one at the moment who would attract a decent fee or compensation apart from Lenny. An no one wants to sell him.

Yep it was damn crazy !

5 points from the opening 21 points available was clueless and unprofessional ,surely get the team sorted before the actual season begins.

Then at the business end we collect 3 from 15!

Somebody must be sweating if we actually make the PO.

And Millwall, Oxford and Peterborough at home - mind you we didn't loose any of those three. However some may argue that having Mooney in a two up front was the same as having one up front . He hasn't played since Rochdale (a).

McG played as the other forward in several of those matches, for those of you who weren't at the games look at Mooney's goal v Millwall and see where McG is when he gets the ball.

Bridge played as a number 10 at Home to Fleetwood but it didn't work.

The game away at Rochdale both McG and McL played very high up the pitch on the wings with Mooney in the middle. We actually had plenty of the ball in their half but the 3 front players all had their worst game of the season at the same time. Rochdale scored with virtually their first attack after 20 odd minutes.

Sorry to pick out just one line from your post but I feel like I must be the only supporter who doesn't see this in him at all. Maybe I'm going crazy. I actually think he's weak defensively and not that much better going forward.
Apology accepted! Suspect you're not crazy and are entitled to a different opinion,of course.
White has some qualities e.g. aerial,reading of the game but there's little doubt about who's best at RB up against a fast or tricky wideman.Yes he can overdo the surging forwards,but there must/should be managerial instructions that he follows.

I don't agree with that. I think Wordsworth and Coker would fetch a decent amount. As for next season Thompson if he continues this form and if Nile stays out of trouble he could be the jewel in the crown! There is a reason Ron tied him down with a long contract. There is certainly more potential fund raisers than just Lenny

Agree, so many dangerous attacks and crosses come down our right hand side. He is out of position frequently and IMO doesn't make enough effort to get back when he gets forward and we lose possession. I haven't seen him have a decent game from an attacking sense for a while either. Perhaps he is just knackered but at the moment if Coker is fit, I'd have White at RB ahead of Demi

Interestingly I see that mourinho came out and said he won't stop speaking the truth to the press even if it involves bad pressing his players. So long as his players understand and respect him then I think that's fine too. We all have opinions. We tend to discuss them in close circles. There is normally some middle ground. Everything out in the open. Ballsy. I like it.

Back