• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Hmm Phil said they bottled it,well I never....Phil is utterly blameless as per usual.

Remind me who's in charge of making sure that they don't "bottle it".

Hmmm world population around 7 billion.....only one man picks the team,chooses tactics and signs these dudes hmmm

He is correct though.

True, to an extent he is, but the buck stops with the manager for me. We know that we're more than capable of beating Shrewsbury, when we lose with a whimper the manager is ultimately to blame for me. Phil seems to have little idea of how to motivate the team in a pressure situation sadly. We should have a play-off place nailed down, if we miss out, questions need to be asked about how the team as a whole handles pressure, including the manager.

Yep, like taking penalties at Wembley in a play-off final.

Plenty of teams struggle under pressure. Take our division.

Bolton - Scored one goal in 5 games recently. Might still blow automatic promotion
Fleetwood - Lost the big six pointer games recently
Scunthorpe - Have blown automatic promotion
Bradford - Same, with a poor run of draws
Millwall - Lost back-to-back games
Bristol Rovers - Dreadful away from home
Oxford - Dreadful at home
Rochdale - Poor run of results after losing to us

We have done far better than expected regardless of whether we make the play offs! Yes the team may have bottled it but we are not the only team to buckle under pressure. I sometimes think that some of our so called fans want us to fail so that we can have a change in Manager!!!

Bolton - Scored one goal in 5 games recently. Might still blow automatic promotion.

Have any of those teams lost four of the last five though when in pole position, Bolton and Millwall compare perhaps.

However for me it's a crap argument, excusing our own failings by comparing with other teams inadequacies might make you feel better, but for me it's ridiculous! It's like Hartlepool saying that Leyton Orient have been terrible and got relegated, but we should be grateful that we're not that bad! Ludicrous! :nope:

Bolton - Scored one goal in 5 games recently. Might still blow automatic promotion
Fleetwood - Lost the big six pointer games recently

You've forgotten the fact that we bottled the Morecambe game and probably should have lost in the final prior to Pigott's heroics. We certainly didn't perform anywhere near our best on the day.

We didn't "bottle" the previous 7 games before Morecambe or the two play-off semi-finals. In fact, the second play-off semi, we showed a ton of character, with the likes of Tims and so on.

My point was that a lot of teams have blips in the run-in and drops in form. A number of reasons can be cited. The previous posts on this and other threads suggest that it's only us who can't cope and everyone else sails through the last few games at a canter.

Fact is, very few do. Pressure plays a part for all teams. It's not excusing our recent results. We've hit a poor run of form, but a lot of people are suggesting it's a lack of character. There's been other reasons, that maybe have played a part, as well. Possibly an even bigger one.

You've forgotten the fact that we bottled the Morecambe game and probably should have lost in the final prior to Pigott's heroics. We certainly didn't perform anywhere near our best on the day.

Luckily Wycombe bottled it more than us in the final we should never have won especially in the minds of the people who bottled it and left the stadium early.

Have any of those teams lost four of the last five though when in pole position, Bolton and Millwall compare perhaps.

However for me it's a crap argument, excusing our own failings by comparing with other teams inadequacies might make you feel better, but for me it's ridiculous! It's like Hartlepool saying that Leyton Orient have been terrible and got relegated, but we should be grateful that we're not that bad! Ludicrous! :nope:

No he is just trying to explain how Football is....to people who don't quite understand.

Don't think it's all Browns fault, the players should be able to motivate themselves as they all know what is at stake and should be able to step up to the challenge. We just seem to be missing real leaders on the pitch who can set the tone for the others to follow. I don't buy all the talk about injuries to players as all others teams are coping with the same issues (i.e. Fleetwood were missing 6 first teamers and still beat Millwall. Whether our recruitment in January is coming back to haunt us I don't know? But, if players are not fit they should not play. Really hope Lady Luck can shine down on us this weekend but think the players have thrown it away. On to next season!!!

In any sport, at whatever level, players are prone to peaks and dips in form. My playing sport nowadays is golf. For months, the best part of my game has been putting but for the past four rounds I couldn't have bought a decent putt for a million pounds. It's not for want of trying or practice that I miss putts but every one I miss makes me less confident that I'll get the next one. I think some of our team have hit similar dips in form on the pitch. From passing the ball accurately a month ago, some of our players couldn't pass water according to some of you who were at the last few games hence, possibly, a return to hopeful hoofball. So much is about confidence and fitness when it comes to being successful, and lack of confidence in a team sport is contagious. The manager can do all he likes to rebuild confidence in the players prior to the game but just one misplaced pass, one missed tackle, one shot wide of the mark can destroy that confidence in an instant. The players themselves will know how much they depend on the likes of Leonard, Coker, Wordsworth and Ferdinand, so losing them or knowing they are playing but not fully fit can also damage the confidence of the team as a whole and result in lacklustre performances. Brown's biggest weakness, in my opinion, is that he seems to react with hostility towards his players (often naming and shaming individuals) when things are not going well and, in most cases, that's not going to rebuild their confidence; it just makes them even more scared of making mistakes and makes them play with fear. You can't make players feel confident by telling them that they will be confident, or else!

I'm not trying to play down what has happened in the past month and I feel the same levels of disappointment as most of you who post on this forum, but I really don't buy into the view that the players aren't bothered or deliberately aren't trying. I'm just offering an opinion as to why the players are not producing the goods.

Last season we nose-dived and PB stayed in the job. the beginning of this season was a mare and the excuse was that he had not yet got his targets in. When he did start to field his preferred eleven we did very well. He has his best players so that cannot be an excuse now.

The season has been a success but from where we were six games ago it is equally a failure. I don't know what the answer is but something needs to be sorted. We still have a slim chance. Best not blow it.

My personal views on matters is that ever since the Charlton game we have looked a shadow on ourselves. With niggling injuries taking their tole those that have stepped in have been very poor and those who were already in the squad haven't stepped up to be match winners.

I have noticed that we have seemed to be so much more long ball in the last few games and that's just not our game, we're no good at it. I think that's nerves if you ask me. I have found watching that type of football very frustrating as some of long balls are laughably poor.

I keep telling myself that I am just happy with us staying up for another year after such a poor start but now we're here and we should already have a play-off spot its hard to not get frustrated that it seems we are literally doing our best not to get one.

With regards to our poor start I personally completely blame Brown for that as our squad wasn't set up properly at the start of the season and signings came in late. Plus the formation of playing 1 up top for large parts of the start of season clearly didn't work and many things were going wrong. Brown has turned it around and I like the fact that Martin gives managers a decent chance but its a massive shame it took us so long to get going.

I don't think we'll get a play-off spot, I hope I'm wrong but I just can't see being that lucky for Millwall to lose again. Even if they do, I'm not convinced we'll beat Bury with our current performances.

Back