• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Phil is not wrong in his comments, maybe wrong to make them public.
However I prefer a manager to engage with the media (and fans) as Phil does, to one who treats both fans and press with disdain.
Sometimes Phil does "shoot his own foot" but often he can be interesting AND not boring or dull.

His comments have just killed any hope of last chance playoff push.. If someone said to me at Fleetwood in August you'll be 6 points off the playoffs at this stage I would have bit your hand off!! But with some winnable games at home ok I know our form has been poor there is still a chance we can win our next two cant see why not!! I believe brown is going at the end of the season and good luck to him and with a manager like brown coming to Southend it may attract another established manager to take the job. Playoffs are not over until the fat lady sings and anything can happen that's why we love the beautiful game right?

Of course it's a joke Kevin, glad that you could spot that and appreciate the fact that the manager [as I said] having not done a bad job, represents himself and the club with all officials in such a respectful manner. Now, that's not a joke but it could be irony or sarcasm...you work it out.

PB is no more - or less - respectful to officials than 90% of manager's. Obviously a few such as SIR Alex Ferguson, Arsene Wenger, Jose Mourinho would never dare make any contentious comment!!
How is that for possible sarcasm?

He just liked my tweet saying I would 'give him a chance', and subsequently followed me, so I'm taking that as gospel that he wants the Southend job :winking:

Go for it ! You appear to have far more evidence to back up ypur opinion than the majority of the 'facts' that are posted on here :smile:

Go for it ! You appear to have far more evidence to back up ypur opinion than the majority of the 'facts' that are posted on here :smile:

Nah, 'Follow' mean very little, as proven by the fact that mrsblue 'liked' one of my posts recently. He probably just likes seeing his name mentioned.

His comments have just killed any hope of last chance playoff push.. If someone said to me at Fleetwood in August you'll be 6 points off the playoffs at this stage I would have bit your hand off!! But with some winnable games at home ok I know our form has been poor there is still a chance we can win our next two cant see why not!! I believe brown is going at the end of the season and good luck to him and with a manager like brown coming to Southend it may attract another established manager to take the job. Playoffs are not over until the fat lady sings and anything can happen that's why we love the beautiful game right?
I think there's a less than 1% chance. You're right it's not over til it's over, but all the signs are pointing towards a mid table finish which isn't the end of the world for me.

What I would have like to hear him say is that Coker and Worrall are going to watch a DVD of those EARLY crosses on a continual loop for the whole journey home.

Do we actually get players into the box for them to play early crosses to?

Do we actually get players into the box for them to play early crosses to?

Barnett and Payne give any wide man or full-back a good range for any cross. Even if you scuff it as long as its in the right area that will suite Payne.

Particularly at RH we want to many touches and to much time out wide. Add the fact that our set pieces are pathetic means we rarely put the away keeper under any pressure. When was the last time you saw the oppositions keeper have to keep his team in the match. Or to put another way... name your top 5 crosses this season.

Barnett and Payne give any wide man or full-back a good range for any cross. Even if you scuff it as long as its in the right area that will suite Payne.

Particularly at RH we want to many touches and to much time out wide. Add the fact that our set pieces are pathetic means we rarely put the away keeper under any pressure. When was the last time you saw the oppositions keeper have to keep his team in the match. Or to put another way... name your top 5 crosses this season.

You'll have seen us more this year than I have, but my impression from last season was more that we want too many touches and too much time in the middle (hello, Will Atkinson!) and that we aren't bombing forward to give men in the box for them to aim at.

Earlier balls out wide - and better balls out wide, with more pace and better direction - will encourage earlier balls into the box, as will having targets to aim for. Barnett looks as if he will get in the 6 yard box and get ahead of the ball so that's probably one and whilst Payne could in theory do this, I think the managerial instructions are for him not to get that far ahead of play. Indeed, the whole managerial philosophy seems to be far more about retaining possession than doing anything with it.

PB is no more - or less - respectful to officials than 90% of manager's. Obviously a few such as SIR Alex Ferguson, Arsene Wenger, Jose Mourinho would never dare make any contentious comment!!
How is that for possible sarcasm?

Ouch. You got me. I sat behind 'PB' today at Blackpool and am delighted to report that he didn't seem to make a single comment to any of the officials, or the team.

Back