• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend Pier

Manager
With just days until the start of the season, Brown pleads with Ron to let him bolster his depleted squad.

Source: Todays Echo.

All this says to me is Brown isn't going to be around long. He's not used to these crazy restrictions and is finding it tough going. It really shows what a magnificent job Paul Sturrock did to turn us into promotion hopefuls with constant embargos.

Pleased to see that 'Ron's' twitter site is maintaining its high standards! :smile:

Ron Martin ‏@RonMartinTycoon 27 Juil Brown. One is aware that " we don't have enough players ". We haven't had enough players for years. You'll get used to it. Everyone else has.

Ron Martin
‏@RonMartinTycoon
13 h

Have agreed with Brown that he can sign 5 more players by Friday. Makes no difference to me at all. I still can't afford to pay any of them.

Normally a spokesperson says Embargo will be lifted soon. But I don't thing anything has been said of this nature. Concerning.

Unless he can get players in we will be a fixture in the bottom 6 for a while. We look toothless in attack there is no pace in the team and we look very vulnerable on set plays.

All this says to me is Brown isn't going to be around long. He's not used to these crazy restrictions and is finding it tough going. It really shows what a magnificent job Paul Sturrock did to turn us into promotion hopefuls with constant embargos.

Yep I agree all day long with above.

Unless he can get players in we will be a fixture in the bottom 6 for a while. We look toothless in attack there is no pace in the team and we look very vulnerable on set plays.

Not saying everything's rosy (not by a long chalk) but I don't think the problems will be so evident early on. To me, our first 11 looks strong enough on paper to be there or thereabouts. It's the strength in depth and competition for places that's lacking and I'll be expecting us to bring loanees in throughout the season as we normally might. It remains a key part of strategy at the cash-strapped lower league level.

If we're basing our set-piece concerns against what happened against QPR, that's a pretty tough benchmark.

His 6 months forward pay runs out in October right? I'll give him until then.

Whatever his reasons might be for giving up/walking away, for me, doing so would be a final nail in his career. While he doesn't have the recent track-record to land the more exciting jobs, giving up/walking away from Southend will be a millstone around his neck and, whatever his spin, it'll be another failure in what's potentially starting to become a habit.

I'm sure many will disagree but I don't see him leaving as Brown needs to make this work. If he puts more pressure on Ron to sort this mess out, then all's the better. It's a **** sandwich that's for sure, but he's committed to eating it.

If he's surprised, he didn't do much "due diligence" before joining. Still when you're desperate for work .....

Not saying everything's rosy (not by a long chalk) but I don't think the problems will be so evident early on. To me, our first 11 looks strong enough on paper to be there or thereabouts. It's the strength in depth and competition for places that's lacking and I'll be expecting us to bring loanees in throughout the season as we normally might. It remains a key part of strategy at the cash-strapped lower league level.

If we're basing our set-piece concerns against what happened against QPR, that's a pretty tough benchmark.

Spot on. I expect us to start well. Our first eleven not to bad at all, but as the injuries start turning up, as they will, and loaned players come and go, I expect us to fall away.

Promotion hopefuls?!?!?! Not last season we wasn't and to be fair, Sturrock was backed fairly well in the second season when we fell short. We blew our beans trying to maintain a promotion push with some shockingly bad January spending by Sturrock (Flood, Baldwin, Martin, Benyon) so I wouldn't say that Sturrock did a magnificent job. He steadied a sinking ship which we will always be grateful for.

This job is even harder in Brown's case with such a threadbare squad - he has a much smaller squad to work with and all of Sturrock's higher earners have left. Harris, Barker (Were trying), Tomlin, Martin, Dickinson, Cresswell, Benyon etc

Not only have we reduced the wage budget, poor PB hasn't even been able to replace the numbers in squad with cheaper players!!!!!

Couldn't agree more!

I think this is pure PR, to be honest. Phil Brown is making sure that everyone knows that if he fails then it's not down to him. It's the equivalent of playing FIFA with a dodgy joypad. You need to make sure that everyone is aware.

Somehow I've started to feel quite sympathetic towards Phil Brown. I do suspect that there are more clubs out there in a somewhat similar position than we realise but this is no way to run a football club. The guy needs to be able to put a squad together and needs to have the freedom to make loan signings as and when he needs them - especially with the tiny squad that we're going to have.

I think this is pure PR, to be honest. Phil Brown is making sure that everyone knows that if he fails then it's not down to him. It's the equivalent of playing FIFA with a dodgy joypad. You need to make sure that everyone is aware.

Precisely this. He's covering his tracks so that when he leaves, there's documented evidence of him falling out with the chairman over the strength of the playing squad. He makes a good point, but this is just as much about protecting himself and what's left of his reputation as it is angling for action from the boardroom. He spent the best part of the last year working in the media, I'd imagine he's become quite astute in his manipulation of it...

Well unless Sainsbury cough up a truck load of money, you got no chance Phil. Welcome to the Southend circus. Well done for using your media skills to protect yourself from criticism though...

Phil had 6 months wages up front so well played by him,Lack of backing from the owner will send Phil over the edge in particular if the team starts poorly and finally if Phil's due wages are late he will jump.

Back