• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ayrshire Blue

The Custard Splat
It's a given we need a striker, 2 if the budget allows but should we really have much faith that the Tango man can get the right man in?

The only decent forwards we've had at the club were the ones Brown inherited when he joined the club: Assombalonga, Tomlin, Reeves & Corr. Even Freddy was still here as well at the time and did have a decent bit of form at the start of last season before injury finished him.

But lets look at the strikers Phil Brown has actually signed for the club.

Craig Reid - 6 apps - 0 goals
Don Cowan - 2 apps - 0 goals
Jamar Loza - 4 apps - 1 goal
Cauley Woodrow - 19 apps - 2 goals
Lee Barnard - 11 apps - 2 goals (Both penalties)
Isaac Layne - 0 apps - 0 goals
Shaquile Coulthirst* - 21 apps - 3 goals

*Majority of the time played on the wing

The highest scoring forward Brown has signed is Coulthirst who has 3 goals this season and as mentioned above has spent a lot of time on the wing. So, should we really be thinking Brown is going to get the right man before the end of this month?

It's a given we need a striker, 2 if the budget allows but should we really have much faith that the Tango man can get the right man in?

The only decent forwards we've had at the club were the ones Brown inherited when he joined the club: Assombalonga, Tomlin, Reeves & Corr. Even Freddy was still here as well at the time and did have a decent bit of form at the start of last season before injury finished him.

The highest scoring forward Brown has signed is Coulthirst who has 3 goals this season and as mentioned above has spent a lot of time on the wing. So, should we really be thinking Brown is going to get the right man before the end of this month?

Maybe by the law of averages/sods he will bag a scorer this time. Or maybe he wont sign a striker.

Hmmm so 63 apps and only 6 goals from open play !

Not very promising.

Who would we all get ?

Because in all threads we are talking about poor past signings and people that we should start now. Do we believe that PB isnt trying at all ? Yes he may still wish to win most games 1-0, but do people not actually think that he is not trying to at least get a striker that will score that 1 goal a game ?

How many did Tilson bring in ? He certainly brought in a lot more duds than successes.

Grabbing that prolific striker is a tough ask, especially in league two.

Who would we all get ?

Because in all threads we are talking about poor past signings and people that we should start now. Do we believe that PB isnt trying at all ? Yes he may still wish to win most games 1-0, but do people not actually think that he is not trying to at least get a striker that will score that 1 goal a game ?

Phil has lost me tactically so I have no idea what he wants.

Sorry.

How many did Tilson bring in ? He certainly brought in a lot more duds than successes.

Sturrock managed to get in Corr, Assombalonga, Tomlin, Dickinson, Hall who were all pretty 'prolific' in League 2

Phil has lost me tactically so I have no idea what he wants.

Sorry.

If you went to the odd game might help you keep up. We have played about 5 different tactics now, including with Jack Payne behind two strikers which is what you were clammering for.

But Tilson understood that goals needed to come from all over the pitch and worked on set pieces, midfielders getting in the box.

If you went to the odd game might help you keep up. We have played about 5 different tactics now, including with Jack Payne behind two strikers which is what you were clammering for.

Only missed the last 2 at home and I can categorically say I have never seen us play 442 at home with me attending,watched the Oxford game where Imo we did play 442 and won 3 0 .

Sturrock managed to get in Corr, Assombalonga, Tomlin, Dickinson, Hall who were all pretty 'prolific' in League 2

Indeed thats a fair point, he did pretty well.

However, Tomlin had a very barren spell, and then a very good spell, and then lost it. There were plenty of people that didn't like Dickinson, and there was a point in time when we actually had a better win % when Hall wasn't playing.

For clarity, I'm not disagreeing with you. I guess all I'm doing is pointing out that you can dress things up any way you want, and reach any conclusion you want, depending on your agenda.

Only missed the last 2 at home and I can categorically say I have never seen us play 442 at home with me attending,watched the Oxford game where Imo we did play 442 and won 3 0 .

We played Weston up front with Corr one game, cant remember if that was home or away to be honest.

Since then we have played 4411 since until Saturday with the diamond. Some would class that 4411 as 442 as with Payne just as a deep forward.

However, Tomlin had a very barren spell, and then a very good spell, and then lost it. There were plenty of people that didn't like Dickinson, and there was a point in time when we actually had a better win % when Hall wasn't playing.

For clarity, I'm not disagreeing with you. I guess all I'm doing is pointing out that you can dress things up any way you want, and reach any conclusion you want, depending on your agenda.

Indeed, and the best year we had under Sturrock out top scorer was Moshni on 12, who played more on the wing and defence than as as striker.

To be fair he still unearthed some players who got goals.

Hall wasn't a striker and Dickinson's goal record wasn't that great if we are taking out penalties.

What about Benyon, Waide Fairhurst, Nathaniel Jarvis, Antonio German, Jack Sampson, Anto Flood, Clarke-Harris, Lavery and Blair Sturrock. None of them were 'prolific'.

It is easy to play with stats and compare managers but I wonder who the last manager was that presided over such a meagre goal return this far into a season and could not get one of his striker signings close to double figures? I accept Tilson and PS got some duds but PB has so far got it 6 out of 6. A 100% record. That is a stat that is troubling.

Hall wasn't a striker and Dickinson's goal record wasn't that great if we are taking out penalties.

What about Benyon, Waide Fairhurst, Nathaniel Jarvis, Antonio German, Jack Sampson, Anto Flood, Clarke-Harris, Lavery and Blair Sturrock. None of them were 'prolific'.

But Sturrock still signed players who were prolific, Brown has signed ZERO!

It is easy to play with stats and compare managers but I wonder who the last manager was that presided over such a meagre goal return this far into a season and could not get one of his striker signings close to double figures? I accept Tilson and PS got some duds but PB has so far got it 6 out of 6. A 100% record. That is a stat that is troubling.

As I said above, the best year with Sturrock we scored a lot and got 83 points, and out top scorer got 12 all season.

So its not just the fact we havent a striker scoring double figures its the total lack of goals throughout the side thats missing, which weve discussed many times.

Atkinson, Leonard and Hurst should all be capable of double figures, all technically very good players. Payne also. What we badly lack is a centre back who can really attack the ball at corners and free kicks. Prosser and Bolger seem a bit too lightweight.

As I said above, the best year with Sturrock we scored a lot and got 83 points, and out top scorer got 12 all season.

So its not just the fact we havent a striker scoring double figures its the total lack of goals throughout the side thats missing, which weve discussed many times.
And there you have it in a nutshell.

Back