• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I would be happy if we signed Akinfenwa, Northampton might go up though which will put paid to any chance of that happening.

I only hope that whoever PB brings in, they play their hearts and soul out for our club,and not just here to pick up their occassionally on time wage packet, they got to be better than the dross they replacing.

Well Marco Rojas who i talked about in an earlier thread is out of reach,reported here not only Liverpool keen on him but also a top Spanish club and a host of bundesliga clubs also.

Think it's always gonna be hard trying to get players from the A-League to League 2. A-League is held in quite high regard. I remember a few seasons ago when a young Matthew Leckie was setting the league alight. I would have loved him here but he ended up going to the Bundesliga. We just don't have the money to compete with the top league European sides, even though lots of players are desperate to play in England, sadly money talks :thumbdown:

People seem to be forgetting that some of these players will sign new contracts at their current and some will move up. A lot of people are saying we should be signing the likes of Pack and Zola. I don't see us being able to get them in any capacity.

I think you're right tbh, i think were gonna have to look at Conference and below for players, perhaps some lowely League Two sides..

Whilst there will be many out of work footballers in the summer as always, sadly I believe that we have to accept that for many of the better ones that coming to Southend will be a drop in standard for them and that would certainly include players from Gillingham, Northampton etc

Ray Parlour.

Brown signed him for Hull.

I actually think we will sign a load of out of work ex-championship and league one players. But they'll be players on the way down looking for a last pay day rather players on the way up looking to better themselves.

Not sure how well PB knows footy I this area, the non league seen etc. from what I know he'll only really know League players, and so may be able to tempt them with his ....ahem....'name' but money wise he'll find that hard to do.

I think it will be a long hard summer ahead, and having a decent squad of 'signed' people who give a stuff will be quite an achievement.

Loanees are all well and good, but the bulk of your team has to be proper Southend players as direct employees. Contracts will be probably short and performance based. Would be surprised in more than six or seven existing players remain. And that may be me being very generous!!

Yes have to agree with you Amsemp ,there are some excellent young players in the Aleague who would love to play in europe , but getting them to SUFC league2 club would be nigh on impossible i would say.

He signed a load of old **** a Preston, many of whom are out of contract this summer. He'll pick a few of them up.

He signed a load of old **** a Preston, many of whom are out of contract this summer. He'll pick a few of them up.

Because Sturrock never signed any of his old rubbish players either!!!!

All managers do it, Tilson @ Lincoln, Sturrock from his clubs, Alan Little from York etc etc

Would have done very well as a 'Sturrock player' that first season with a Corr and Akinfenwa partnership could have been quite tasty!

I agree but - and it's a big if - IF Brown can get Eastwood fully fit and play to his strengths next season I reckon a Corr-Eastwood partnership could be very tasty indeed at this level.....

We need a centre back to replace Phillips because he is past it, a left back as straker is simply not good enough! I feel we are missing a natural out and out winger who beats players and delivers crosses, for me hurst isn't that man. In CM I would love a player like kalala again, someone who puts themselves about for the full 90 minutes along side timlin

We need a centre back to replace Phillips because he is past it, a left back as straker is simply not good enough! I feel we are missing a natural out and out winger who beats players and delivers crosses, for me hurst isn't that man. In CM I would love a player like kalala again, someone who puts themselves about for the full 90 minutes along side timlin

You have go to be kidding, why do you think we have been conceding for fun over recent months without Phillips? Yes he is a crock often, but such a leader and reader of the game that Cresswell and Prosser are not. He is our best defender by miles that we miss every time he can't put himself together again to wear the blue shirt. To not play him at Wembley, if fit enough for mid week game, was an absolute joke and undermines Brown already.

You have go to be kidding, why do you think we have been conceding for fun over recent months without Phillips? Yes he is a crock often, but such a leader and reader of the game that Cresswell and Prosser are not. He is our best defender by miles that we miss every time he can't put himself together again to wear the blue shirt. To not play him at Wembley, if fit enough for mid week game, was an absolute joke and undermines Brown already.

Would have agreed last season but has looked like a mistake waiting to happen this season think we have seen the best from Phillips imo.

Always been a fan of Anthony McNamee who's contract is expiring

Disagree that Phillips is past it. He's played with a few injuries this year. But wouldn't write him off yet. When fit he's a class above any of our other defenders.

Interesting that you think Phillips is past it, but McNamee who's only a year younger and quite seriously asthmatic is not?

Back