• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

BT cut another 10'000 Jobs this morning

Aberdeen Shrimper

The Man who sold the world

Very scary time at the moment not least in the job market.
Telecoms group BT says it expects to have cut 10,000 jobs by the end of the financial year. The cuts will mainly affect agency and contract staff and offshore workers.

And forget about whether General Motors will be able to retain its title against Toyota as the world's biggest car seller for the year, it will be lucky if it can even survive the year as a car manufacturer of any size. Its shares have fallen to their lowest level in 58 years, and Ford is doing no better. In fact, it costs more to buy a Litre of fuel these days than it does to buy a share of Ford stock.
Both car makers plummeted this week as worldwide economic concerns increased fears that no one, anywhere, was going to be buying cars anytime soon, sparking fears that they both might face liquidity issues in 2009.
Yet U.S. car makers aren't the only ones in trouble. Toyota is struggling to meet its sales goals because of the U.S. and European markets and suggests operating profit might fall 40% this year. Its domestic sales dropped 32% last month, while Honda was down 24% and Nissan was off 37%. But that pales in comparison to GM's woes.

HOW SAFE IS YOUR JOB???

HOW SAFE IS YOUR JOB???

Working in the financial services industry possibly not very however (according to a recent article in a free paper!) software developers are the second most in demand employees (after nurses) so hopefully I wouldn't have to return to the sponge factory.

Last edited:
Working in the financial services industry possibly not very however (according to a recent article in a free paper!)) software developers are the second most in demand employees (after nurses) so hopefully I wouldn't have to return to the sponge factory.

Glad to hear it Matt

Well time to get training to be... a postman :) .
Im kind of hopeing for redundancy anyway , ive gone as far as possible in the IT game , plus ive got my dyslexia test next wednesday so , change is good embrace it its propably about to make your life better ;)

Well time to get training to be... a postman :) .
Im kind of hopeing for redundancy anyway , ive gone as far as possible in the IT game , plus ive got my dyslexia test next wednesday so , change is good embrace it its propably about to make your life better ;)

good luck with that mate

Times are indeed scary for the automotive industry. I reckon VW will survive, Toyota will be number one, by some distance in the next few years. GM will merge with someone, probably Chrysler. Obama will bail out Ford

The new landscape will be Chinese car companies.

Times are indeed scary for the automotive industry. I reckon VW will survive, Toyota will be number one, by some distance in the next few years. GM will merge with someone, probably Chrysler. Obama will bail out Ford

Im hoping it will be with who ever is using alternate fuels myself ;)

As Seal/Sam Cooke sung a change is going to come :D

korean cars are geting better and better,can easliy see them growing into a major force

Afraid not - Hyundai and Kia were hurt badly in the South Korean market - their value was so bad almost a week ago they almost went bust.

never knew that.

guy i know puchased a coupe on 07 plate this car has every toy going and leather with only 12k on the clock for 8k.

lot of car for silly money

HOW SAFE IS YOUR JOB???

Difficult to say.

I'm a graphic designer (mainly packaging / print based) and historically when times have been bad for the industry (around 9/11 and when I first started 7 years ago) the places I've been working have flourished due to thankfully doing a good standard of work.

Clients see these downturns in different ways; some think 'save the cash' and either don't redesign anything or else go to a cheap agency, whereas other see them as a vital time to invest in good work and go to a decent agency to get their brand moving again. The other slight benefit to the 'heady' world of packaging redesign is that its a great way of making people notice your product once more, but without spending the hundreds of thousands you may have once had to through expensive advertising campaigns, so some of their work is filtering down to us it seems.

I think I was very fortunate that I started my career at a very well regarded company so if worst comes to the worst, I can hopefully rely on freelance, which at some companies will be heavily relied on for fear of reemploying people too soon in this downturn.

But right now, my new place of work is busier than it has been ever in the last 20 years its been going...

Pretty much spot on with all that imo Paul

software developers are the second most in demand employees (after nurses)

As a nurse, that is good to hear.

Hopefully most of those 10,000 jobs will be call centre staff in India and other far flung places who can't speak very good english won't they?

Hopefully most of those 10,000 jobs will be call centre staff in India and other far flung places who can't speak very good english won't they?

love it !!!

always amazes me when i get cold calls and the person speaking in broken english is always called an english name!! ie allo i am de man called tony!

on the news last night they reckon 3 million could be out of work very soon.

I've had three weeks if pestering phone calls now from a company trying to reclaim bank charges on my behalf. But I quite literally had no idea what it was they were trying to tell me last time they called. I just hang up and hope its a scam...

I have no skills and am returnin the job market in about 6 weeks, so keep paying your taxes boys and girls, I'll be needing a regular dole cheque by the looks of it.

My application to macdonalds will be posted asap!

"Working" for NR is about as much as a job for life you can get these days. Turned down a job offer from an outside firm due the the financial heave-ho at the moment.

Turned down a job offer from an outside firm due the the financial heave-ho at the moment.

Lost your sense of adventure then?

Back