• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

BT Total Broardband Home Hub

Bielzibubz

President
I've just taken delivery of the BT Home Hub router and all the paraphernalia that goes with it. Everything's working fine now but if you are thinking of going over to BT Total Broadband with the Home Hub router do not, repeat DO NOT install the bundled software that comes on disc with the package. IE Wireless Management Software, BT Yahoo Browser etc.

The reasons are as follows:

The BT Home Hub Wireless Management software completely highjacks the Windows wireless connection utilities that come bundled on the OS. This renders the little TV icon in the bottom right of the toolbar completely useless. Your Home Hub router will not show up in 'view available wireless connections' or any other Windows OS core elements concerning wireless connections.
The main reason I urge you not to install the BT Connection Manager is that it has far less options available for advanced set up and encryption. (WPA is not an option, only WEP which is less secure) It also prevents automatic connection when you start Windows and the option isn't available in the BT Connection Manager. Consequently you have to manually connect each time you boot your machine and the software is horrendously slow to initiate.

I've now un-installed all the BT software and configured a wireless connection much like you would any other wireless router.

I dislike AOL with a vengeance because of the way it tries to highjack many elements of your Internet and online experience with a whole host of crap it urges you to install and I regret this seems to be a theme that BT is following.

*growls at the mere mention of BT*

I had a similar problem. I've still got that BT software lurking around somewhere slowing my computer down.

Now I'm ****ed off:angry:

2 hours ago I lost the connection from the Hub to my broadband and the Internet. The wireless connection from my laptop to the hub was unaffected. It reconnected automatically and has basically done this every 30 to 40 seconds since!

After spending 20 minutes on hold to BT in Pakistan I got through to a guy who could hardly speak any English and after going through the problem umpteen times with him he told me I must have a faulty hub and a replacement would be sent within 3 business days (so that means Monday)

By this time I was spitting blood and trying not to vent my anger on this poor guy earning 56p an hour to take my abuse.

The upshot of this is I just plugged my old router back in and within 20 seconds ... bobs ya uncle....back on line.

I of coarse didn't tell him this but complained about how both BT and I had agreed to a contract, them to supply a service and me to pay for that service. Seeing as how they couldn't keep up their end of the bargain I'm now getting next months Internet free
biggrin.gif

Needless to say come Monday I will be the proud owner of a brand new BT Total Broadband Home Hub that hasn't got a hope in hells chance of ever being used now.

Faulty hub after 36 hours and a 6 to 8 week delay on the hub phone due to manufacturing problems.

BT.....absolute pile o sh!te. Couldn't organise a **** up in a brewery.

Back