• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

What's it got to do with you? you should worry about the problems in your own Country.

I didn't notice you complaining about the (rightly) unfavourable mention of the Spanish cajas.

FYI,I have an English bank account, so I'm naturally worried about the UK's financial problems.Wouldn't want a Cyprus style situation in the UK,would we? :winking:

(I am of course extremely worried about the economic situation in my adopted country.Especially since I've just been doing my books and I note that my declared earnings are just over half of what I earnt in the first quarter of 2012).:sad:

Last edited:
I'd like to see the abolition of corporation tax to be paid for by cutting public spending more, especially those budgets that are currently ringfenced (DfiD I would shut down completely), and eliminating some tax reliefs and deductions (for example taxing dividends at the full rate rather than the reduced rate that assumes a notional corporation tax charge).

1332:

MPs are being told off for shouting while Ed Miliband speaks - the Deputy Speaker says he cannot understand an opposition that does not want to hear its leader.

LOL - Kind of sums up Millibums leadership qualities.

Well I thought that was a pretty amazing budget. Definitely focused in the right areas and a strong message that UK plc are open for business.

:happy::happy::happy::happy::happy::happy::happy:

And Milliband is a bell.

Well I thought that was a pretty amazing budget. Definitely focused in the right areas and a strong message that UK plc are open for business.

:happy::happy::happy::happy::happy::happy::happy:

And Milliband is a bell.

Yawn ..it was a load of spin mostly downgrading the forecasts they have already fallen short on then making others they will NEVER meet.

I know what you mean Neil and sympathise up to a point but believe me there are a lot of good ideas out there needing investment and banks are not helping. In fact they seem to have forgotten why they were set up in the first place. They've gone from one extreme to the other. Rather than the Bank of England printing money I'd like this to go to small and medium businesses. Remember the guy who wanted £10,000 for a new van and the banks said no. Mervyn King wrote to him and advised he try a Swedish bank.

The banks got slated for lending too much money and losing it, now they are being a bit more careful with who they lend it to to avoid another banking crisis they get criticised for not lending. They really can't win.

They aren't the only source of finance. With interest rates being so abysmal, there are plenty of people out there who'd be interested in investing their money.

I'd like to see the abolition of corporation tax to be paid for by cutting public spending more, especially those budgets that are currently ringfenced (DfiD I would shut down completely), and eliminating some tax reliefs and deductions (for example taxing dividends at the full rate rather than the reduced rate that assumes a notional corporation tax charge).

DIFD is pretty much the department for bungs isn't it? You open your business to our companies and we'll give you some aid. I've no idea how effective this is (I suspect it's probably inefficient with the amount that is siphoned off though).

Economic forecasts are entirely pointless. Comparing one forecast with another is worse than pointless.

Economic forecasts are entirely pointless. Comparing one forecast with another is worse than pointless.

You're not actually denying any of the points I made though,are you-specifically that growth in the UK has been flatlining for the last 3 years ?
(Btw,I should have specified that most of that increase in employment has been in PT, low paid jobs rather than in FT work).

Actually not true.

The current government have brought in the "NewBuy" scheme which allows good interest rates on 5% mortgages when you buy a new house. My wife and I are in the process of buying a brand new house in Ipswich, and we were surprised how easy the process of actually buying a brand new home is.

To add to this, my father in law is also planning an extension to his current property and I'm told that the Tories have in fact removed a lot of red tape from the process of applying for an extension and made it a lot easier. He happens to be a Labour voter, but was happy at this change.

Be careful of what you wish for.

I'd imagine that you're too young to remember the negative equity of the early 90's (Shrimpero and quite a few others on here can, I'm sure, fill you in on that).

"some property experts warned that the impact (of the budget) would be to drive up already high house prices".

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/mar/20/budget-2013-george-osborne-homebuyers-beer

In other words, there could be another housing boom and bust just around the corner.

(Btw,you're father-in-law sounds like a decent chap.As was mine).:winking:

You're not actually denying any of the points I made though,are you-specifically that growth in the UK has been flatlining for the last 3 years ?
I didn't see you make that point, but I wouldn't deny it. It is clear from the published statistics that there has been no meaningful economnic growth in the last 3 years.

On the employment point, you are correct that a significant proportion has been part-time work. Employment statistics have been strange since about 2003, when 97% of all new people in work were accounted for by foreign nationals. That trend has largely continued under this government as well. The UK sucks in labour because there is a structural unemployment problem. Granted, there is still a component that is cyclical (i.e. people are unemployed due to the wider economic conditions), but there remains about 5% of the population that are unemployed for structural reasons (i.e. even in a boom they would be unemployed because they either don't want to work or no one wants to employ them).

I didn't see you make that point, but I wouldn't deny it. It is clear from the published statistics that there has been no meaningful economnic growth in the last 3 years.

On the employment point, you are correct that a significant proportion has been part-time work. Employment statistics have been strange since about 2003, when 97% of all new people in work were accounted for by foreign nationals. That trend has largely continued under this government as well. The UK sucks in labour because there is a structural unemployment problem. Granted, there is still a component that is cyclical (i.e. people are unemployed due to the wider economic conditions), but there remains about 5% of the population that are unemployed for structural reasons (i.e. even in a boom they would be unemployed because they either don't want to work or no one wants to employ them).

Funnily enough, if I remember my A level Samuelson correctly, (which I think I do), that 5% unemployment figure corresponds pretty much to the Keynesian definition of full employment,even in a boom.
I was under the impression, however, that this particular figure had been revised upwards by Keynesian economists in recent years.

Btw,you've agreed that growth has been flatlining in the last three years under the coalition and that the increase in employment figures masks a huge rise in the numbers of those in part-time employment.

What explanation do you have for the fact that productivity has actually decreased in the last three years at the same time as employment has risen? (As I said above that's quite a clever trick).

Last edited:
What explanation do you have for the fact that productivity has actually decreased in the last three years at the same time as employment has risen? (As I said above that's quite a clever trick).

I don't think it is a deliberate policy and I know that I don't have an explanation.

Declining productivty per worker is a recent trend, as it has been in much of the industrialised world. I can offer you two suggestions but they are no more than that: the first is labour hoarding. The decline in real wages and the relatively strong position of most companies, especially in cash terms, has made it easier and cheaper to retain workers that they otherwise may have laid off. This is on the basis that they will need those skilled workers when demand picks up again so they carry the slack in the short-term.

My other suggestion is that the economy also carries a lot "zombie" companies as well as the strong ones. Most of these are in retail and financial services and only continue to exist because they have low financing costs ( typically large businesses with established credit lines which benefit from current low interest rates). These companies survive from day to day so productivity is typically low.

I'm not pretending these are definitely the reasons. In truth no one is really sure what the cause is.

Government is telling banks to hold more capital relative to the amount they lend.

Surely you're not suggesting that the Tories are lying to us are you? They make noises about encouraging banks to lend more, whilst (as per your statement) they effectively tell the banks not to.

I guess at some point in the future when the banks have met these new capital limits and start lending again that idiot Osborne will turn round and say, "See, I did it. I made the banks start lending again."

Actually not true.

The current government have brought in the "NewBuy" scheme which allows good interest rates on 5% mortgages when you buy a new house. My wife and I are in the process of buying a brand new house in Ipswich, and we were surprised how easy the process of actually buying a brand new home is.

To add to this, my father in law is also planning an extension to his current property and I'm told that the Tories have in fact removed a lot of red tape from the process of applying for an extension and made it a lot easier. He happens to be a Labour voter, but was happy at this change.

Be careful of what you wish for.

I'd imagine that you're too young to remember the negative equity of the early 90's (Shrimpero and quite a few others on here can, I'm sure, fill you in on that).

"some property experts warned that the impact (of the budget) would be to drive up already high house prices".

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/mar/20/budget-2013-george-osborne-homebuyers-beer

In other words, there could be another housing boom and bust just around the corner.

(Btw,you're father-in-law sounds like a decent chap.As was mine).:winking:

Interestingly,it would seem that the first policy to unravel from this year's budget is precisely the second part of the Government's "help to buy" housing scheme.
Looks attractive to would-be second home owners and possibly also to buy-to-let landords.
What will it do to the inflation rate I wonder?
If the inflation rate rises in the next few years (a reasonable bet) that could lead to a downward spiral on house prices,particularly on anyone buying a property on a 95% mortgage.

"Speaking on Radio 4's Today programme, George Osborne said he did not want the scheme to help people buy second homes, but refused to say they would be banned from doing so."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2013/mar/21/help-to-buy-scheme-exploited-second-homeowners

Surely you're not suggesting that the Tories are lying to us are you? They make noises about encouraging banks to lend more, whilst (as per your statement) they effectively tell the banks not to.

I guess at some point in the future when the banks have met these new capital limits and start lending again that idiot Osborne will turn round and say, "See, I did it. I made the banks start lending again."

Much of this flows the Basel III Accord, which sets global levels of capital to hold. Strictly it is voluntary but most countries have signed up to it, which is why credit is a problem that is not exclusive to the UK.

I wouldn't say that the government is telling the banks not to lend. I would liken it to insisting they do lend but tying them to a fence and running off with half the money.

Back