• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

I think the opinions on this thread are well balanced and both sides of the debate have their own views... well that was until you decided the Left have no real valid opinion.

Indeed. It's an interesting thread.

I get annoyed when people try to put people into the left/right box. As Steveo said earlier, you don't always agree with everything even if you do lean in a particular direction. Just because you don't agree with a labour policy doesn't automatically make you a tory, or if you are tory doesn't mean you have to agree with everything Thatcher did!

A question...How can the standard of living for the high earners keep growing whilst the standard of the poor keep shrinking in a supposedly democratic society?

What happened to love thy neighbour if they were less fortunate than you.What happened to humanity to condemn those that are not of high value to society through no choice of their own. Some people are just who they are, unemployable for whatever reason and less fortunate than others......There but for the grace God go I.....

We now live in a very selfish world where all that counts in Number 1......dark days indeed.

Could it be argued that the standard of living has been artificially raised through spending on credit and now everyone has to re-adjust to how it should have been?

Could it be argued that the standard of living has been artificially raised through spending on credit and now everyone has to re-adjust to how it should have been?

Or maybe the desperation of people not being afford to live without credit cards , forced upon the by the huge costs of living while wages for us plebs keep shrinking.

Bingo tonight for me and I get a free pint after buying 300 of them....Yipeee.

Or maybe the desperation of people not being afford to live without credit cards , forced upon the by the huge costs of living while wages for us plebs keep shrinking.

But are peoples expectations of what they should have much higher than say 40 years ago? Back then there were no mobile phones, Sky TV, Long haul holidays, very few new cars, most tellys were rented. Were people better off in those days?

But are peoples expectations of what they should have much higher than say 40 years ago? Back then there were no mobile phones, Sky TV, Long haul holidays, very few new cars, most tellys were rented. Were people better off in those days?

40 years ago was of course 1974.

I can remember flying to the USA in 1973 (as a student).

IIRC,my father always drove a (fairly) new car back in the 60's.

We did have a rented colour TV when they first came in but not after that.

Last edited:
Credit is a fact of life for any economy based on consumerism as its main point of growth, the reality of that however, is boom and bust. I except that credit has its good and bad points but at what stage will that be changed by a government that is bold enough to invest in the creation of a society where these are not the only factors that determine our well being or future prospects. Its not a left v right issue but one of emphasis towards a goal that we all have a stake in. This budget, like so many others, changes nothing. The haves will have more and will hopefully invest in some enterprise that doesnt involve squirelling away money in an offshore account and the don't haves will have less but not too much less, otherwise they wont go out and spend money on beer and bingo disrupting the Holy consumer cycle.

Most middle class people want to keep up with the "click" as dictated by their general way of like minded friends or associates, otherwise they are classed as out of touch losers. I agree there was less choice in the old days and it would sound a bit daft of me to say otherwise....but peoples caring of others were. Today it is a downward spiral. I can only see through my own old eyes, but for sure this is a one way trip with the money makers having all.

40 years ago was of course 1974.

I can remember flying to the USA in 1972 (as a student).

IIRC,my father always drove a (fairly) new car back in the 60's.

We did have a rented colour TV when they first came in but not after that.

I reckon you were the exception then Barna.

Back