• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

mrsblue

Banned
Yes I know I've banged on and on...but it's beyond a joke now.

We are Southend...not some moneybags outfit,yet season after season we sign these ex high flyers,for what purpose,they rarely deliver and they eat the budget whole.

We have 5 players at least who earn very decent money...why on earth blow the funds in such a silly fashion,why not sign youngsters who will offer far more and probably cost the same or even less.

Who makes these signing...Ron or Phil?....any football person knows you ain't doing much with a team of old players,The Gills league game had an average age of THIRTY...what a joke.

I don't understand the reasons....we even looked at Carlton bloody Cole.

Its done my nut in....something odd about this club.

Because Brown loves a 'name', these five huge earners would easily cover the cost of ten players and you wouldn't be getting much less output from them.

What frustrates me is losing the likes of Payne, Bentley and inevitably Leonard because we haggled over a few hundred quid wage increases a long time before their stock raised and their heads were rightly turned.

Aside from Brown going for 'names' or has beens, he also had the habit of re-signing players who were not so great the first time round.

The big question for me is what the hell does our permanently employed chief scout Bob Shaw do, Brian Horton too?

I really fear that short term our club is being rinsed and for very little return, long term this couple cripple us.

We have 5 players at least who earn very decent money...why on earth blow the funds in such a silly fashion,why not sign youngsters who will offer far more and probably cost the same or even less.

Do you have any youngsters in mind then? I must admit that I'm feeling quite positive about the club's youth system and the prospect of up to half a dozen players making it into the first team matchday squad within the next 18 months.

Do you have any youngsters in mind then? I must admit that I'm feeling quite positive about the club's youth system and the prospect of up to half a dozen players making it into the first team matchday squad within the next 18 months.

Ask Bob Shaw.

The club are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Hypothetically, if Kightly had signed for Northampton or Bury, pockets of this messageboard would be irate that we didn't make a play for him. It'd be the same old chat about a lack of ambition etc. Similarly, if we went out to sign a load of untested youngsters from either non-league or released youths from prem academies, supporters would question their lack of proven ability.

Don't get me wrong, I think Brown has made mistakes. He's not very good at managing expectations (always talks about getting his preseason business done early, loves to name his targets and talk about how many deals he's working on which puts a target on his back when they don't reach fruition), our preseason structure in terms of prep leaves a lot to be desired and his in-game management is bizarre. But ultimately we were a result away from the playoffs last year in a very competitive division.

Let's be honest, we wouldn't be having this discussion if the Plymouth and Gills game had ended in victory and we were still in the Carbohydrate Cup would we? I would guess that your viewpoint is being influenced by a steady run of bad news.

Also, I love the fact that everyone thinks they're an expert when it comes to the club's finances. Just because you've managed a wage bill in Football Manager does not mean you have the facts in real life. We might be running an extortionate wage bill that could cripple us going forward. On the other hand, we might not...

Also, I love the fact that everyone thinks they're an expert when it comes to the club's finances. Just because you've managed a wage bill in Football Manager does not mean you have the facts in real life. We might be running an extortionate wage bill that could cripple us going forward. On the other hand, we might not...

Very good point. Aside from Ron and Patrick van de Waag, I very much doubt many others are privy to the club's day-to-day and long term finances. It always amazes me when I read posts from certain members claiming to have such knowledge and understanding of individual player contracts!

This would be an extremely naive move and would very quickly see us down in League Two or lower. We cannot compete at either end of the age spectrum, so we cannot attract the brightest prospects the same way we cannot attract Championship level players because there is always a club with more money who can offer better youth contracts with better setups, so you can't just say "go out there and find the next 'Giggs, Scholes, Beckham, Neville and Butt' or 'Fowler, Owen, Gerrard, Redknapp and McManaman'.... Players like that are already institutionalized into the best academies.

Some of our youth players may come good, but just throwing Bridge, Williams, Bwomono, Ba and the like out into the first team would be like lambs to the slaughter.

At this stage last year we had won 1 and Drawn 1 , having lost twice to Gillingham ....

We are currently 1 point better off than last year , and we all know what 1 point more would have meant last season......

Its August , we are always s*** in a month beginning with A .

Didn't someone quite good at this football management thing once say " you win nothing playing kids ". :whistling:

Kiernan - 25 !
Kightly - over 30, yes, but a poor signing ?
Hendrie - under 30, feel for him with Coker being out. I personally think he was bought in to cover Cokes ( Cokes is a huge loss for us )
Leonard - 24, doing all we can to keep hold of him
Cox - 30, no way a poor signing
Turner - over 30, granted, I cant comment, as Ive not seen him play ... so I will reserve judgement ( but of course others will judge )
Gash - under 30, started the season off really well
Macca - under 30, great player, signed a long term agreement
Ba - under 30, young and hungry
Yearwood - under 20, signed up on 4 years
Klass - under 20 ? , good things Ive heard, signed in from QPR
Bwomono - under 20, played last night. Apparently played well ....

Bad start, in terms of luck in respect of injuries for some, Cokes again is something you can prepare for and is a massive loss ... Ranger, hopefully nearly back and approaching match fitness ... Wordsworth approaching fitness again ....

We are all being a tad reactive at the moment ... but hey, I've been accused of rose tinted glasses before , but I just wanted to give a perspective to the other side of the " we are doomed " outpouring !

I thought that was Alan Hansen, whom I am pretty sure hasn't ever gone into management

Why would he with his ludicrous BBC salary.

I used to love how he conned half of England with his punditry. One week it would be "look how good the mid-field closed down, there' 3 players pressing one of theirs". Next week "look how naïve the mid-field are. 3 players drawn to the same ball and with one simple pass all 3 are out of game"......Shocking, absolutely shocking.

His "Win nothing with kids " is nothing compared to his famous Wcup comment

Commentating on the Argentina–Romania match in the 1994 FIFA World Cup, Hansen said that "the Argentine defender warrants shooting for a mistake like that". The previous day, Colombian defender Andrés Escobarhad been shot dead, a killing widely attributed to punishment for an own goal Escobar scored in Colombia's 2–1 loss to the United States earlier in the same tournament. The BBC issued a public apology for Hansen's poor choice of words

The club are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

Hypothetically, if Kightly had signed for Northampton or Bury, pockets of this messageboard would be irate that we didn't make a play for him. It'd be the same old chat about a lack of ambition etc. Similarly, if we went out to sign a load of untested youngsters from either non-league or released youths from prem academies, supporters would question their lack of proven ability.

Don't get me wrong, I think Brown has made mistakes. He's not very good at managing expectations (always talks about getting his preseason business done early, loves to name his targets and talk about how many deals he's working on which puts a target on his back when they don't reach fruition), our preseason structure in terms of prep leaves a lot to be desired and his in-game management is bizarre. But ultimately we were a result away from the playoffs last year in a very competitive division.

Let's be honest, we wouldn't be having this discussion if the Plymouth and Gills game had ended in victory and we were still in the Carbohydrate Cup would we? I would guess that your viewpoint is being influenced by a steady run of bad news.

Kightly a bit different to Turner and Ferdinand as we all know he still had something about him from his time at Burton.

However, there were snippets of Ferdinand's lack of mobility last season, so to offer him a two year deal was not the best play in my opinion but appreciate we maybe had to in order to get him to sign. Looking very immobile and unfit this year.

And the Turner signing was absolute madness. 1 year deal fine. But a 2 year deal for a player who has barely even played for 2 years, off the back of a few training sessions (did he even play pre-season?), is shocking. Both up there in our wage structure.

The fact Brown was actively wanting to sign Carlton Cole is concerning when we pretty much have a replica in Fortune. Would have been a massive waste of money and I'm so delighted he turned us down/wasn't interested.

Kightly a bit different to Turner and Ferdinand as we all know he still had something about him from his time at Burton.

However, there were snippets of Ferdinand's lack of mobility last season, so to offer him a two year deal was not the best play in my opinion but appreciate we maybe had to in order to get him to sign. Looking very immobile and unfit this year.

And the Turner signing was absolute madness. 1 year deal fine. But a 2 year deal for a player who has barely even played for 2 years, off the back of a few training sessions (did he even play pre-season?), is shocking. Both up there in our wage structure.

The fact Brown was actively wanting to sign Carlton Cole is concerning when we pretty much have a replica in Fortune. Would have been a massive waste of money and I'm so delighted he turned us down/wasn't interested.

You have just made that bit up haven't you.

Turner did play in pre-season friendlies.

Back