• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Bulgaria vs England

Pubey

Definitely need a win tonight in advance of a tough trip to Montenegro in October. Wales could do us a favour tonight too if they sneak a result against them.

Sounds like some youngsters will get a run out.

expected team:

Hart
Richards Cahill Terry Cole
Lampard Parker Barry
Walcott Rooney Young

Team I'd like to see:

Hart
Richards Cahill Jones Cole
Lampard Parker
Walcott A. Young A. Johnson
Rooney

CB or RB?....

RB though that he's looked so threatening going forward. Can carry the ball so well, looks like he wears those Kangaroo Boot things when he's running with the ball. LOL. We can completely tear them apart with two attacking full backs!

Jones is better than Cahill in my opinion. I like Richards so happy if he plays. Reckon Milner will play instead of Parker. Cant believe Lampard is still getting picked.

I like Lampard, because he seems to get on with all the lads in the team and picks the right pass, rather than Stevie-Gee who'll only pass to a mate/scouser. Lampard will keep things organised and I expect our attacking players to be pretty busy at trying to break down the bus in front of the Bulgaria goal.

Smalling is still learning as a RB, so I'd give Richards the nod tonight. Richards is pretty attacking too!

I like Lampard, because he seems to get on with all the lads in the team and picks the right pass, rather than Stevie-Gee who'll only pass to a mate/scouser. Lampard will keep things organised and I expect our attacking players to be pretty busy at trying to break down the bus in front of the Bulgaria goal.

Smalling is still learning as a RB, so I'd give Richards the nod tonight. Richards is pretty attacking too!

I also really rate Lampard, he is amazing to see live, if you know what I mean (ergh). Much like when a band are better live than on the album. Lampard is better live than on the telly. He's got such a presence on the ball. Love him!

I also really rate Lampard, he is amazing to see live, if you know what I mean (ergh). Much like when a band are better live than on the album. Lampard is better live than on the telly. He's got such a presence on the ball. Love him!
Yeah definitely agree. Gerrard is great to watch live too.

So very wrong.

I think that Lampard is on his last legs as an England international now. He was substituted for the second half v Switzerland and I'm pretty sure that Gerrard and Wilshere would get the nod above him if fit. However, aside from Ashley Young playing 'in the hole,' we actually have a dearth of forward-looking central midfielders available, so I'm pretty sure he'll play tonight. I think Smalling will get the nod over Richards too. Crucial game this - we need to get back in the driving seat in this group and a win would help to ensure that we don't have to go to Montenegro looking for one. Perversely, I think we're more likely to get a win in Montenegro if they have to win - they defend well but would be more vulnerable to the counter if they have to take the game to us. Come on England! :clap:

So very wrong.

I've been very impressed with Smalling's adaptation to the RB position, especially after seeing the way he snuffed out Bale last week. I think that he is the best defensive RB in the country now, although Phil Neville could still do a job if required. Richards is refreshingly exuberant but is not a brilliant reader of the game and - to state the blimmin' obvious - Johnson is a massive liability defensively.

I'd rather Fab played Parker in the defensive midfield position. He was one of the few players who impressed v Switzerland and he has more endeavour than Barry, who has been fortunate to be selected on a regular basis for England. The area that remains a difficult one is with Rooney's strike partner. Bent was shocking v Switzerland and there still seems to be a malaise hanging over Carroll. Defoe looked sharp when he came on for Spurs the other day, but is hardly in form either. It may be that Fab plays Young in a flexible forward position - his understanding with Rooney has developed quickly since his move to Man U and I hope that England benefit from that tonight.

Actually, Defoe could be the wild card here - he got a hat-trick in the home game v Bulgaria this time last year, so Fab might want to see if he can unsettle that defence from the off.

I suspect he will go in with something like this:

Hart

Smalling Cahill Terry Cole

Lampard Barry Milner

Walcott Rooney Young

It seems as if he has had second thoughts on going with Jones at CB and Barry seems to have edged over Parker as the latter has been in the championship.

I'm a huge Lampard fan but I wouldn't have him in my first choice team at the minute, and may even have that over-rated Scouse ****** Gerrard ahead of him if he were fit. But with the players we've got out I think we could use his experience tonight. I quite like the look of Southend Neil's team, maybe with Parker in for Milner.

I've been very impressed with Smalling's adaptation to the RB position, especially after seeing the way he snuffed out Bale last week. I think that he is the best defensive RB in the country now, although Phil Neville could still do a job if required. Richards is refreshingly exuberant but is not a brilliant reader of the game and - to state the blimmin' obvious - Johnson is a massive liability defensively.

I liked Neville's comments on Sky earlier today.He pointed out that Spain have 4 world class midfield players whereas England have maybe 2.Honest and accurate.

And the team is:

Hart, Smalling, Cahill, Terry, Cole, Walcott, Parker, Barry, Downing, Young, Rooney
Subs: Stockdale, Jagielka, Baines, Milner, Lampard, Johnson, Defoe

I quite like the look of that team except Parker and Barry together in the middle. Seems too defensive. Would've preferred Lampard over Barry, but we'll see. This is an away game in Eastern Europe so maybe Capello's being cautious. Young and Rooney up front should be enough to win the game with the form those two are in and the defence looks pretty strong.

Agree shrimpboy. Should have enough to win, just worried our attack will be isolated from defence/midfield

Back