• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Burton Albion 0-2 Southend United

Hills - "it was a dream debut for me. At times in the past two years I thought I'd never play again so I'm delighted to be here."

Sturrock - "we've been on a bad run and it was great to get back on the rails . It was a solid performance and very much about the team."

Harris - "we had the hunger,desire, passion and team unity you need for a promotion push. We all wanted to win for each other and it showed.

@JackSampson14 Happy days! Great result. Just wish I could open the rally now #sufc

Belford - "I jumped at the chance to join southend. It's a chance to get games again and I was very impressed by the team today."

Hills - "it was a dream debut for me. At times in the past two years I thought I'd never play again so I'm delighted to be here."

Sturrock - "we've been on a bad run and it was great to get back on the rails . It was a solid performance and very much about the team."

totally .. i hope a few of our more heralded players have learnt a lesson today

todays shows we have that bit of strength and depth in the side, what a headache for monday.

Play the same team on Monday (injuries permitting). It's a no-brainer surely?

You'd hope so, Gazza. Winning team, playing for each other, those now on the periphery having to force their way in...

Only argument otherwise, as you say, is the lack of rest between now and Monday and the impact of any knocks. I'd like to see Sturrock put the onus on those dropped to have to work their way back into contention.

Wasn't able to make the game, but heard the new left back was really excellent

Wasn't able to make the game, but heard the new left back was really excellent
Highly rated by supporters by what I'd seen of the Palace forums, just getting over a long term injury. Felt a bit sorry for Prosser who hasn't done anything wrong this season when asked to play.

I'd stick Dickinson back in if Sturrock can do this without losing face. If not, same team. There was also a big feeling of team unity today - esp after the second goal.

Burton were pretty, but lightweight.

Belford - 8 - Had a good debut. Has a huge kick on him. Not sure about his handling on occasions.
Clohessey - 7 - Mr Consistency as ever.
Phillips - 8 - Really got hold of this game. Him or Grant for our MOTM.
Barker - 7 - Looked much more solid than I've seen recently.
Hills - 8 - Clearly has ability. The whole defence looked more solid as a unit with him at left back. Hope he's not injured.
Sawyer - 7 - Did his job well today - how to get the best out of his clear talent?
Grant - 8 - Best performance from him in ages. Very involved in the game.
Timlin - 7 - Looked the part alongside Grant. The two worked well together.
Martin - 7 - Cracking strike, and makes the team look balanced when he plays.
Sampson - 7 - Can't fault his effort. Constantly directed by Harris. But Dickinson is a better all round player.
Harris - 8 - Put a right shift in in Dicko's absence. Rewarded with a goal. Should play every week.

It's now really for Sturrock to decide what to do with the 4 who were left out. Clearly there's some quality there, but having seen us today, I'd sooner have a harmonious dressing room and great team spirit than Bilel Mohsni winning games on his own. If Sturrock can bring any of the 4 back in without tipping the balance, he should do it. If he can't, get rid of them - our wage bill must be top heavy anyway.

except hoof the ball all the ****ing time, although defensively good and 100 per cent committed

Considering Prosser isnt a left back, he didnt do badly - shame for him losing out now but his time will come.

Tweet from mark phillips

Thats what u get when u have 11 players putting in a shift-great 3 points & thanks to the diehard fans we all appreciate the support.

great result today, what was our performance like? did we change our style? seems like there was a real team spirit on show.

UTB

By all accounts reading the echo report we created a lot of chances today. Really pleased sawyer played well and a lot of other players putting in good performances as well .
Bring on the creepie game, time for pay back !:cool:

Wasn't at the game today, but sounded like we were a much better side than at Morecambe last weekend - maybe the naughty boys have done us a massive favour by behaving badly and getting themselves dropped (and after last week's performance alone they deserved it even without any other misdemeanors!).

I hope that Sturrock sticks with todays side, injurys permitting obviously, and they all find themselves in the reserves for a good few weeks - it doesnt sound like they were even missed!

Massive, massive improvement over the Morecombe game - after 10 minutes we had made more passes than perhaps in the whole of the 1st half in the previous game .......... although I did think that Morecombe were a better team than Burton who looked okay at times and could have scored but overall looked fragile and low on confidence ....... and most importantly gave the Southend players time and space to pass! Fabtastic

All the team played well - no poor performances but of note .........

Yellford - some good saves and catches, booming voice - looks a good goalie
Hills - did well and back 4 all looked good as a result
Clohessey - candidate for man of the match - another excellent performance
Sawyer - did okay and, given it was his first match back, that's not to be sniffed at ..........
Harris - led by example and his years of experience showed - should have had another goal and my Man of the Match

Great game, really enjoyed it.

Belford - 7/10 - Good solid performance, did the basics well and was decisive
Clohessy - 7/10 - As mentioned above, Mr Consistency
Phillips - 7/10 - Dominant in the air
Barker - 6/10 - Slightly rattled at times
Hills - 8/10 - Superb debut performance, like Clohessy he does the basics well in defence, and he also linked up extremely well going forward, he has a good left foot and he found Sampson and Harris frequently with long passes up the line (not hoofs!). He played some very smart 1-2's with the midfield. A real find.
Martin - 8/10 - Linked up well and was probably our best creative player. His deadballs were excellent, in particular an excellent quick free kick
Timlin - 6/10 - Another slightly quiet game, is he regressing to the mean after a great start? I thought he should have been making more runs near the strikers, the one time he did this he almost scored. Maybe he feels slightly shackled alongside Grant.
Grant - 7/10 - A typical Grant performance, got his foot on the ball and cover the pitch well.
Sawyer - 7/10 - Great to see him back, his crossing was slightly off but he found Harris with a couple of gems. Drifted out of the game at times but there were some glimpses of real quality.
Harris - 8/10 MOTM - Fantastic from Bomber, he could have had a hattrick before his goal came, but that shows how well he did to sniff out opportunities, a good save denied him in the 1st half. Great to see him get a goal, it clearly meant a lot to him
Sampson - 6/10 - Played well and worked really hard but panicked a little in the box and didn't look particularly threatening.

Subs:
Prosser - n/a - quiet
Benyon - n/a - ok
Flood - n/a - good turn and skill in his 4min cameo

Ref - Easily the best ref I've seen for a while, let the game flow and the match was played in good spirits, didn't have a tough job.

A shout out for the Burton keeper who is clearly a confidence player. Made a quality save from Harris but it all went to pieces after half time and he was on the end of some banter!

UTB's

A shout out for the Burton keeper who is clearly a confidence player. Made a quality save from Harris but it all went to pieces after half time and he was on the end of some banter!

UTB's

The only thing I heard was some youth shouting at him about the size of his penis - for me, that is abuse and not banter. But perhaps there was something a bit less puerile that I missed.

Back