• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

manor15

Super Moderator⭐⭐
Staff member
Unlucky first away defeat against top of the table, back to reality after our run of good form. Played in front of under 3,000.

Can't help but feel we need more depth up front, no motivation for Pig/Mooney knowing that Hunt is injured and the only other option is a striker from the reserves with no experience at this level.

Sounds like a game that in two or three years time nobody will be able to remember.

Match report: Burton Albion 1, Southend United 0

LUKE Prosser’s own goal condemned Southend United to a 1-0 defeat at Burton Albion this afternoon.

More...

Not to many positives to be taken from that result by the sounds of things. It will be interesting to hear the reports from our away boys. I was hoping for either Mooney or Pigott to do something today, but not to be it seems. I hope Hunt is ready for our next game. Unfortunate that the OG was down to Luke. Lets hope it doesn't set off a bit of Prosser bashing for the sake of it.

Move on people, the big games are coming thick and fast. We will be fine. COYBB

If Hunt isn't fit for our next league match we seriously need to dip into the loan market. We need another striking option on the bench.

Embarrassing crowd! If they go up they could have games where there is more away fans than home!

Commentators pointed out that the real difference was Beavon playing in between our midfield and defence and linking play much better than our front two. This is what Hunt can do, so its important we get him fit and then pair him with either Mooney or Pigott. Doesnt sound like we really tested the keeper apart from a Pigott chance, but overall we only lost 1-0 to a silly own goal to the top of the table. Roll on next week and a win

Wouldn't say it was unlucky we were **** and they were much better than us.

Bentley 7- Couldn't really tell if he could have saved their goal think it took a deflection, good apart from that.

O'Neill 4- Can't win a header to save his life, poor crossing and gave away the ball almost every time.
Bolger 6- Was solid and calm with the ball at his feet.
Prosser 5- Also did OK but he has less pace than Bolger which showed against their decent attackers. Apparently he scored their goal which i didn't realise hence a slightly lower mark than Bolger.
Coker 7- Typical Coker performance. Nothing significant like last Saturday though.

Worrall 5- Struggled today but would rather Timlin came off instead of him at that time.
Deegan 7- Impressed with him today, very effective in defensive midfield and is proving those who doubted him wrong.
Timlin 5- Dissapointing, gave the ball away a lot and struggled to make any impact.
Leonard 7- Looked back to his best and probably our man of the match today.

Pigott 6- Looks a different player compared to last week and played well today but should have scored when through on goal instead of kicking it straight at the keeper.
Mooney 5- Another player who dissapointed today, we need to stop giving him through balls because he simply isn't quick enough to get on the end of them. Also could have done better with a header which like Pigott's chance went straight to the keeper.

Weston 7- As always a bit hit and miss but was more hit than miss today and it looked like only him or Pigott were capable of creating an equalizer.
Wordsworth and Payne 5- Didn't really do anything.

Kettle 5- Every little free kick went to them, very frustrating. Although we need to stop pushing opponents players in situations where there really is no need.

Last edited:
11th with the next 2 lge games at home!! Forget today utb

Wouldn't say it was unlucky we were **** and they were much better than us.

Bentley 7- Couldn't really tell if he could have saved their goal think it took a deflection, good apart from that.

O'Neill 4- Can't win a header to save his life, poor crossing and gave away the ball almost every time.
Bolger 6- Was solid and calm with the ball at his feet.
Prosser 5- Also did OK but he has less pace than Prosser which showed against their decent attackers. Apparently he scored their goal which i didn't realise hence a slightly lower mark than Bolger.
Coker 7- Typical Coker performance. Nothing significant like last Saturday though.

Worrall 5- Struggled today but would rather Timlin came off instead of him at that time.
Deegan 7- Impressed with him today, very effective in defensive midfield and is proving those who doubted him wrong.
Timlin 5- Dissapointing, gave the ball away a lot and struggled to make any impact.
Leonard 7- Looked back to his best and probably our man of the match today.

Pigott 6- Looks a different player compared to last week and played well today but should have scored when through on goal instead of kicking it straight at the keeper.
Mooney 5- Another player who dissapointed today, we need to stop giving him through balls because he simply isn't quick enough to get on the end of them. Also could have done better with a header which like Pigott's chance went straight to the keeper.

Weston 7- As always a bit hit and miss but was more hit than miss today and it looked like only him or Pigott were capable of creating an equalizer.
Wordsworth and Payne 5- Didn't really do anything.

Kettle 5- Every little free kick went to them, very frustrating. Although we need to stop pushing opponents players in situations where there really is no need.

That's a new one less pace than himself :winking:

Need a 4th striker and quick. As much as we all love hunt, he is going to have spells on the sideline which means we need another striker. Williams is not the answer. Need more pace upfront as clearly neither money or Piggott are blessed in the area

Our first away loss of the season and it was at the league leaders. W2 D3 L1 from the first 6 on the road is pretty good if you ask me and it's the home form that needs to improve if we're ambitious in this league. Burton, to be fair, have got their home form sorted and whilst everyone else seems to hate them, I have a lot of respect for them - they've got themselves top of this league with probably the lowest resources and always look a tight unit when we go to the Pirelli.

In terms of the match, I found the substitutions strange but then I often do with PB. Assume withdrawing Worrall was tactical - don't understand that - but Myles Weston certainly caused them issues when he came on. I'd like to see Worrall on the right and Weston on the left, but PB would probably say that leaves us too open in the middle - and even if he did play them in the same side he'd swap them over so they both played off the wrong foot. Weston can get outside his man and put a ball in - Worrall too - it's a shame we're so intent on staying solid that we don't allow this. That said, comments from fellow fans on the way out - "brown needs to go" and "that was a disgrace" are so far off the mark it's not funny.

I'm not sure I saw the same game as rlb999 - and I'm sure I didn't see the same one as Danshrimper. :omg:

First half was a tight affair and although Burton were in control for much of the time they weren't really doing anything that made me think they were going to win - in fact, we then had a couple of chances that were arguably the best of the half.

Things changed in the 2nd half though - Brown needs to get some of whatever it is Jimmy Floyd puts in their half time tea and we looked tired and slow. Prosser seems to have given the ball a massive deflection and the ball is in the net. It takes another 10 minutes or so for Southend to come out of their half-time torpor but even then we're not quite there - the defence are making mistakes clearing, the midfield get in each other's way and the front two aren't holding up the ball - and Burton were closing down the threat from Coker.

The strikers had little to feed on all game (having said all that Pigott was through with just the goalie to beat) and no-one seemed to have packed their shooting boots.

I didn't rate Weston any better than Worrall, Tims was doing fine and Wordsworth did okay when he came on but Payne didn't have enough time to do anything.

A tight loss - some tired legs out there as well.

Man of the match - well, it was going to be Tims but I'll have to plump for Coker (again).

And it was a shame that a small number of away fans spent time on an abusive chant for the opposition manager rather than supporting our players.

Hash tag: Whybotherbeingsochildish-itsembarassingtoeveryoneelse

I'd like to see Worrall on the right and Weston on the left, but PB would probably say that leaves us too open in the middle - and even if he did play them in the same side he'd swap them over so they both played off the wrong foot. Weston can get outside his man and put a ball in - Worrall too - it's a shame we're so intent on staying solid that we don't allow this.
I think the reason for playing Worrall out left is when he cuts in it gives more space for Coker to get forward into, has been effective in recent matches.

And it was a shame that a small number of away fans spent time on an abusive chant for the opposition manager rather than supporting our players.

Hash tag: Whybotherbeingsochildish-itsembarassingtoeveryoneelse
They weren't Southend fans. They're Nottingham Forest fans (I think) and they always seem to come to Burton V Southend for some reason. Can't really moan at our fans for that.

They weren't Southend fans. They're Nottingham Forest fans (I think) and they always seem to come to Burton V Southend for some reason. Can't really moan at our fans for that.
I recall going to Burton a couple of seasons ago and drunken Southend fans were fighting and rolling down the concrete terracing. Not bothered since as I suspect the brewery's get the better of the lower intellects!:'(

Back