• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Burton Albion 1 - 1 Southend United

First half was the best 45 of the season. We pressed as a unit, we won the ball back in midfield and looked to spring Hopper in behind. No question about the red, O'Toole has literally punched him in the face so I am not sure why/how they are complaining.

Subs were intended to win the game and if anything killed it. We completely lost the shape and that rigidness that was so prominent in the first half. I guess Mantom was never going to have 90mins in the tank having just come back from injury.

Not saying their goal is his fault, but the FK looked weird and, being their only shot on target I think Bishop will be disappointed in himself.

Hate to say it, but thought Mantom looked the part in the midfield 5 as well as Macca. Actually thought Kiernan played well, he absolutely cleaned their player in the first half which you just love to see!

Take a point but we have to build on it - not like Accrington following the MK win...

Its a start, small beginnings hopefully leading onto much better things.

Was it a silly free kick to give away in a dangerous position? Either way Bishop makes a move to the right just before there bloke kicks it and slots it to the left with Bishop sufficiently stranded and unable to turn back , so possibly another costly error., surely he should have stayed still and more to the left until the kick is taken then left side would have been covered and he could dived to the right if needs be.

Much improved, Demi did well. Dieng also, and Hopper was a nuisance all evening.

I thought Ralph looked like a dislocated shoulder too. Anyone else play left back?

Hopefully can build on this point this time.

Massive improvement.

There were a few things that worked and were a lot better, for me :

1) We look so much fitter and have a lot more energy around the pitch
2) We pressed them all evening. The workrate off the ball was outstanding
3) Special mentions to Mantom, Demetriou, Hopper, Macca and Ralph
4) Playing 4 at the back meant we moved the ball forward and this allowed us to play further up the pitch
5) The other significant thing with the 4, was that it meant Elvis and Ralph covered like full-backs and on 3 occasions got across to block a goal threat. Ralph put in 3 superb interceptions
6) We looked like a side playing for each other. A team with desire and passion
7) O'Toole got sent off because, for once, we got in the ref's ear. Another example of togetherness

I'm not too worried that we didn't get the winner. It's the performance that was everything for me.

That wasn't just a point gained. It was a massive step forward.

Last edited:
Was it a silly free kick to give away in a dangerous position? Either way Bishop makes a move to the right just before there bloke kicks it and slots it to the left with Bishop sufficiently stranded and unable to turn back , so possibly another costly error., surely he should have stayed still and more to the left until the kick is taken then left side would have been covered and he could dived to the right if needs be.
What needs to happen is Bishop stays dead centre, and creates a hole so's he can see the kicker.
Defenders then line up right and left, and he has a fighting chance to dive either side if the ball beats the wall - not stranded on one side (his right) as it turns out.

Pleased about the point - but control of the ball?
We had to press because we rarely got a foot on it. Even at this level, keeping the ball has to be better.
We should have won this game, and didn't.
Still, from small acorns...

I think Nathan thought the fella was set to curl it over the wall in the other corner and it wrong footed him.

We looked like a proper team in the first half. We chased and harassed Burton and they were not expecting it. Hopper gave O'toole a torrid time and he looked a danger every time he pressured their defence. The midfield actually had a bit of bite and Sam Mantom and Jason Demitriou got stuck in which really made a difference. Having now looked at the replay O'Toole deserved his red, but I'm surprised that Hopper didn't get a yellow for his foul on O'Toole which led to the dismissal. Our goal was well worked with a good cross from Isaac that Stevie McL headed home firmly. For once, in the first half, we made the extra man work for us.

Not so in the second half. To be fair to Burton Cloughy re-worked their shape and they came at us throughout the half. Their equaliser was a good goal, it could be argued that Nathan Bishop should of done better but it was a very well placed free kick. We spent a lot of the second half on the back foot, but to our credit we kept battling and Ralph especially had a very solid game, both in defence and in attack. It's possible that our substitutions contibuted to us not getting the three points as our shape wasn't anywhere as fluid as it was in the first half. Nevertheless we got a point, something I didn't think was possible before kick-off. Sam Mantom and Demi were subbed but in their time on the pitch they were good to watch.

In a way it's a good thing that we are away again on Saturday as the team seems to perform better when playing away. Very little of the tippy tappy was evident in this game so I'm sure we all breathed a sigh of relief at that. Anyway onwards and upwards for Bristol Rovers on Saturday. It would be very nice to pinch a point or three off Coughlan and Co.

Massive improvement.

There were a few things that worked and were a lot better, for me :

1) We look so much fitter and have a lot more energy around the pitch
2) We pressed them all evening. The workrate off the ball was outstanding
3) Special mentions to Mantom, Demetriou, Hopper, Macca and Ralph
4) Playing 4 at the back meant we moved the ball forward and this allowed us to play further up the pitch
5) The other significant thing with the 4, was that it meant Elvis and Ralph covered like full-backs and on 3 occasions got across to block a goal threat. Ralph put in 3 superb interceptions
6) We looked like a side playing for each other. A team with desire and passion
7) O'Toole got sent off because, for once, we got in the ref's ear. Another example of togetherness

I'm not too worried that we didn't get the winner. It's the performance that was everything for me.

That wasn't just a point gained. It was a massive step forward.

Completely agree :Clap:

Campbell confirms Ralph’s injury is a shoulder problem and Goodship came off with a groin problem.

EK5LeRvX0AQQ4Om.jpg
Ralph still receiving treatment on the pitch well after the game had finished and most supporters had left.​

Back