• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

TV Highlights Burton Albion 1-1 Southend United

Ayrshire Blue

The Custard Splat
Some reasonably pleasant viewing for once

That's a great header from Macca and he's very unlucky with that one that hits the bar, it's a great stop

Bishop very flat footed for their goal, he's literally just standing waiting for him to strike it

Some reasonably pleasant viewing for once

That's a great header from Macca and he's very unlucky with that one that hits the bar, it's a great stop

Bishop very flat footed for their goal, he's literally just standing waiting for him to strike it

It looks to me like Bishop took a step in the other direction and then couldn't adjust.

That's exactly what he did. He expected the ball striker to curl it into his right hand corner, but it was a clever free-kick and went the other way.

The sort of work that happens on the training ground.

It took a deflection and he managed to keep it down. Don’t think you can be too critical of it tbh

Agreed. What was pleasing was that he got into that position in the first place.

Something he did moments later to give us the lead.

Not sure many of you have faced a free kick that is central, just outside the box. You cannot see the ball, or gauge much at all. What he could see was a left footer and a right footer shaping up, he would have seen the left-footer START his run and unfortunately gambled the wrong way. He was not flat-footed, as suggested, he simply had his weight going the wrong way.

Not sure many of you have faced a free kick that is central, just outside the box. You cannot see the ball, or gauge much at all. What he could see was a left footer and a right footer shaping up, he would have seen the left-footer START his run and unfortunately gambled the wrong way. He was not flat-footed, as suggested, he simply had his weight going the wrong way.

Goalkeepers have to gamble by moving before the ball is kicked otherwise they'll never get across their goal in time and most free kicks would end up in the net. Unfortunately for Nathan this is one of those times when his gamble didn't pay off.

Would a better 'keeper have been able to get across? Possibly, but a) who really knows, and b) that's the wrong question. The right question is would most League 1 'keepers have been able to get across?

Goalkeepers have to gamble by moving before the ball is kicked otherwise they'll never get across their goal in time and most free kicks would end up in the net. Unfortunately for Nathan this is one of those times when his gamble didn't pay off.

Would a better 'keeper have been able to get across? Possibly, but a) who really knows, and b) that's the wrong question. The right question is would most League 1 'keepers have been able to get across?

Even more to the point, would Oxley have got across? I know he has stuck on my line syndrome but there aren't many better shot stoppers in FL1 when he's in the mood.

It’s all about lining your wall up correctly being a keeper, any keeper that doesn’t line up the wall from one of the posts that the free kick is closer to deserves to concead a goal, it still surprises me even now how some keepers get it wrong.

It’s all about lining your wall up correctly being a keeper, any keeper that doesn’t line up the wall from one of the posts that the free kick is closer to deserves to concead a goal, it still surprises me even now how some keepers get it wrong.

Just out of interest what level did you keep goal at?

I doubt there's a 'keeper in the world that hasn't got it wrong sometimes. What amazes me is how often they get it right. (This is more of a general comment by the way.)

That's another really poor goal that's Bishop's conceded.
Yes indeed. A gentle shot that would have been catching practice for any proven keeper eg Oxley. And for those that try to criticise Ox on crosses,just look at that last action where poor young Bishop is static on his line as the ball comes across his 6 yard box.

I think we need to just say “great strike” and be done with it.

We can pick the bones out of it all day long and criticise our own keeper or we can accept sometimes the opposition do something well and it got the better of us.

Didn’t see much criticism of the Donnie keeper when it was our player scoring....

Yes indeed. A gentle shot that would have been catching practice for any proven keeper eg Oxley. And for those that try to criticise Ox on crosses,just look at that last action where poor young Bishop is static on his line as the ball comes across his 6 yard box.
Bishop baiting getting a bit boring again. He could play like a million dollars and you still wouldn't acknowledge it, you just wouldn't post.

Back