• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Jimmych

Schoolboy
Really strong performance first half. Stood up well to a decent side and deservedly went in ahead at the interval. Couple of decisons went our way in the first half; penalty could easily have not been given and Piggy could have been pulled up for a foul in the build up to our goal. Burton were down to 10 and had been forced into two substitutions - we had it all to lose.

We came out well in the second half and it felt like the message was to try and get the game won rather than let a slender lead slip away. Unfortunately we didn't really create any decent chances in the half. Momentum swung in Burton's favour and the decision to remove Pigott for Payne felt strange at the time - we needed a goal and the Corr/Pigott combo has been delivering in recent weeks. Some might say it was a defensive move but Payne just doesn't offer that.

Even stranger was the decision to bring Worrall off for Weston. Worrall hadn't had the best of games, not notably worse than anyone else and he has a touch of class which has lead to goals this season. Weston entered to field to a few boos though they were perhaps aimed more at Brown than Weston; either way I doubt it helped his confidence. Both substitutes were poor, Weston particularly so. I couldn't and still cannot fathom what the thinking behind either substitution was.

The later decision to remove Thompson for Cassidy does, however, make some sense. But we shouldn't have had to resort to that and conceding under those circumstances is a risk you take. Brown got it wrong tonight and our game management (i.e. our ability to see out games) against top teams has (probably) cost us the automatics. We've led against Shrewsbury, Stevenage, Wycombe and Burton and got two points from 12.

In terms of the football tonight, we did OK and a draw would probably have been fair. Burton have a touch of class and confidence about them and are a very solid unit. We still don't have that killer instinct when we're breaking through and ultimately looked clueless after they had equalised.

For me, this is our lowest point since the game against Burton last May. If we'd taken all 3 points we'd be right among it but in fact the autos are a real long shot now.

Win the next two and you never know...but that's going to be tough to bounce back from.

Really strong performance first half. Stood up well to a decent side and deservedly went in ahead at the interval. Couple of decisons went our way in the first half; penalty could easily have not been given and Piggy could have been pulled up for a foul in the build up to our goal. Burton were down to 10 and had been forced into two substitutions - we had it all to lose.

We came out well in the second half and it felt like the message was to try and get the game won rather than let a slender lead slip away. Unfortunately we didn't really create any decent chances in the half. Momentum swung in Burton's favour and the decision to remove Pigott for Payne felt strange at the time - we needed a goal and the Corr/Pigott combo has been delivering in recent weeks. Some might say it was a defensive move but Payne just doesn't offer that.

Even stranger was the decision to bring Worrall off for Weston. Worrall hadn't had the best of games, not notably worse than anyone else and he has a touch of class which has lead to goals this season. Weston entered to field to a few boos though they were perhaps aimed more at Brown than Weston; either way I doubt it helped his confidence. Both substitutes were poor, Weston particularly so. I couldn't and still cannot fathom what the thinking behind either substitution was.

The later decision to remove Thompson for Cassidy does, however, make some sense. But we shouldn't have had to resort to that and conceding under those circumstances is a risk you take. Brown got it wrong tonight and our game management (i.e. our ability to see out games) against top teams has (probably) cost us the automatics. We've led against Shrewsbury, Stevenage, Wycombe and Burton and got two points from 12.

In terms of the football tonight, we did OK and a draw would probably have been fair. Burton have a touch of class and confidence about them and are a very solid unit. We still don't have that killer instinct when we're breaking through and ultimately looked clueless after they had equalised.

For me, this is our lowest point since the game against Burton last May. If we'd taken all 3 points we'd be right among it but in fact the autos are a real long shot now.

Win the next two and you never know...but that's going to be tough to bounce back from.

Great report and good effort to make the journey!

The thing for me is exactly what you mention at the end. Burton missed out last season, came away, lost some big players like Billy Kee, replaced them and brought in other strong players and have built on it. We didn't lose anyone (technically, although the form of Leonard and Hurst this season compared to last has been like losing two key players), and brought in Bolger, Weston, Ibenfeldt, Worrall, Layne, Barnard (technically), Coulthirst and a bit later Deegan. Out of that lot only Worrall and Deegan have had any impact at all. Pigott has done well since coming in but too late. That's 2 summer signings that played for us tonight, another 2 that were brought in later, Burton had 8 new signings playing.

If we do miss out again this year, we need to get someone else in with some fresh ideas to rebuild (again) and try and replicate what Burton have done, no matter how much it pains me to say that given how much I hate them as a club.

Buy this man a pint

Also, pretty sure that Burton have had a man sent off in our last 4 visits there. What a ridiculous record.

We just dont seem to have that killer instinct!

Exactly this. We have lacked a cutting edge all season, in recent weeks we have had ample opportunity to kill teams off, win games and improve our goal difference, problem is we just havnt produced when it matters and especially in these big games. One win against our rivals is woeful and explains in part why we are not in and unlikely to make the top three. We have lost leads to Shrewsbury, Wycombe twice, bury, and now Burton. Throw in the defeat to Luton as well. I genuinely worry that even if we do make the play offs that PB will not be able to manage us to the wins that we need. I hope I'm wrong.

To be fair, as their fans sang, that's why they are top of the league. And consequently that's why we aren't. Should have taken the points at Shrewsbury and at Burton, but we managed not to. Awful second half performance - got to wonder what was said at half time. Not assisted by some crazy substitutions from Brown - how the hell Piggott and Worrall were the first 2 players off - how the hell was Leonard still on the field at the end based on current form? Also, we had another 6 or 7 Leonard long throws and no goal - 2 season of this now - any chance of a tactical change? A bright spot for me was Hurst in the last 15 mins - consistently beating his man and putting a quality ball in. If he's lost anything it's the desire, not the ability.

I've said it before - we are Everton under David Moyes - we'll beat most of the division but we can't handle the really top sides.

What a strange game. Burton had a great chance early doors from a corner where it was skied over the bar from within the 6 yard box. After that, we became increasingly dominant and Coker was getting forward well and getting crosses in. Burton are an infuriating side to play against what with all the play-acting and breaking up the play. That continued throughout the whole game - unlike our dominance unfortunately. There was a moment early on in the second half when Burton, having been under some pressure, played it out of their half with slick passing and I thought that they looked confident and far from downbeat at only having 10 men. They scored soon after and at times in the second half, we looked like the team with a man down. Hugely frustrating, of course, and like everyone else, I was at a loss to understand The Pig/Payne substitution. And the Weston one only compounded the bemusement on the pitch and on the away terrace. We need to bounce back from this immediately and get some form ahead of the Play-Offs. I've got a feeling that we might get Plymouth in the Semi - which would be nice for me and Grumpy Blue out here in the wild west.

Game of two halves this one. Burton couldn't cope with our direct style in the first half, and their game plan, was to try and get set pieces launched into the box. And get the ball wide in the air to their number 10 (who I think was their MOM) to beat Coker in the air (seems to be a few teams tactics).

Well that didn't work, and we bossed the first half, they had 3 players on bookings and made an early sub for McGuirk.

We got a penalty, that I didn't see what for but Barry hit the post I think and it trickled along the line and wouldn't go in (I was a long way away). Same old Southend eh? but we kept going and got a goal that was one of our better flowing moves of the half, and Barry got 7 in 7 (I think) Fairly close in.

Cue mass celebrations from the travelling faithfull (don't know how many (maybe 300-350) Then it got worse for Burton when their number 5 elbowed Barry and was sent off. Half time came at the wrong time for us, and the best time for them.
What could go wrong, we are 1-0 up playing well getting in their faces, they are down to 10, with another two on a booking and McGuirk has been subbed.

Jeff said to me at half time we should win this comfortably now. I said to him you have not been following SUFC long enough, and plenty can go wrong yet! It did.

Positives in the first half... Barry Corr horrible to play against. Ryan Leonard had a good half and took a nasty knock second. Timlin played well and got booked. Negatives they had two free headers in our box from set pieces and one time one of their strikers had time to put his foot on the ball, turn, and was unlucky to have his shot deflected for a corner.
These Bentley screaming at his defenders.

Second half first 5 minutes we started where we left off and looked like we would get more goals, without really creating. Then Burton had a bit of possession and grew in confidence, we gave away silly free kicks, and they scored with a good strike. Momentum was with them, and to their credit, they took the game to us. Phil Brown made some strange subs Weston for Worrall (crowd behind the goal shouting you don't know what your doing) Weston miss-kicked twice, run the ball out of play twice, and had the home fans jeering him more than our fans.
Payne for Piggot, strange when we have 11, and effectively leave Barry up top on his own. Payne one mazy run aside did nothing, and this game was not for him, as this was far too physical (I say this for a lot of his games)
Late on Cassidy came on for Thomson, which in effect led to their winner, as we were trying to win the game ourselves. Cassidy should have come on for Piggott, and left the shape the same. Piggott was losing the ball a lot and giving it away cheaply.

What do you know with 3 at the back, and us chasing the game, they break 3 on 3, the ball goes to the left wing, White backs off ( again) lets the bloke drift into the area, and he gets his shot away and into the corner it goes, cue home fans celebrations. Now much as I admire Bentley, he seemed to dive too soon, instead of taking a couple of steps and dive for the ball, and couldn't get to it (if you know what I mean ) and some of the defenders who he was Barating in the first half should have returned the compliment in my opinion.

Bentley 6; 2nd goal his fault and a dodgy punch in the second half (is he still injured?)
White 6; Backed off for their second goal, and needs to stop crosses coming in.
Prosser 7; Thought he did ok, commanding
Thomson 7.5 pick of the central defence, wasn't bullied.
Coker 7.5 better performance from Ben, Targetted because of his height, wish he would cross first time instead of always taking the extra touch allowing opposition another second or two.
Worral 6.5 not his best game but no worse than anyone else, he has a good touch and most times finds a team mate.
Leonard 7.5 getting back to his old self. broke up play nicely, had a good shot just over, and got a bad knock. Influential.
Timlin 7 kept us moving well, and some good passing, when booked took something from his game, because you thought the ref might even it up.
Hurst 7. Better game from Kevan, some great crosses second half when he was on the right, only shame no-one could get to them.
Corr 8. going to give him MOM for not only his goal (and Pen miss) but he seems to be involved in everything.something you cannot say about other players.
Piggott 6.5 not his day, and conceded possession too often, trying to play football (has he not been told!)

Subs.
Weston 1. (and that's for turning up) this bloke isn't a footballer, can't keep the ball in play, couldn't trap a bag of cement.
2 miss-kicks in 2 touches. He may be quick, but you need more than that. Non League!
Payne 6 one good run aside, from deep, when he then got a nose bleed as he got near the goal, and Barry got in his way, waste of a substitution.
Cassidy 5 not enough time, all this substitution done was un-balance the team, and ultimately lead to their winner (not his fault ) should have been a straight swap for Piggott.

Phil Brown. 0 tactics in the second half and substitutions cost us this one (not the first time) Crowd behind the goal singing you don't know what your doing says it all. JF Hasselbaink had to change tactics with 10 men, and did so to good effect.

One comment on Burton ( and I don't like them) to come back from a goal down with 10 men and win a game they looked like losing, shows why they are top.

Like TB, maybe feeling slightly better about things after a good nights sleep. But last night did hurt, a lot.

I was probably the first Southend fan in Burton, parking up at 10 to jump on a train down to London for an afternoon of meetings. It was cutting it fine, but then Notwork Rail decided to balls up, cancelling numerous trains and dumping me in Milton Keynes (somewhat ironically!).

After what felt like planes trains and automobiles (a taxi dash from Burton train station to the ground) I was 10 mins late and informed by the lad on the turnstiles “you’ve not missed much”.

Caught up with Manchester Shrimper and enjoyed a good 1st half from Southend. Corr was instrumental in our best stuff, and was supported well by Pigott and the midfield. The penalty was weird, a bundle in the box, no real appeal from us and no real complaints from Burton. Corr stepped up and never looked completely confident. The shot (after maybe a finger) hit one post, across the goal and out for a corner – typical.

Corr continued to battle and you could gradually see him going through the pink and red Dulux colour swatches. Chirping in the refs ear and winding up Burton players and fans, you could tell he was having fun but was maybe on the edge of doing something silly. Southend created two more good chances, one for Corr on his left which a more natural striker would potentially have buried, and a header just over. Burton weren’t getting on the ball frequently, but when they did they were clearly dangerous. A good shot was blocked by Prosser, our team-motivator Stuart Beavon shot just over, and three Burton players queued up for an unmarked header, which fortunately went just over. Burton were also forced into two early subs (the first of which I missed).

The game continued to open up, which resulted in a decent Southend break. After good work from Pigott, the ball dropped to Corr who confidently stroked the ball home. His 7th goal in 7 games, an exceptional run of form. 13 goals for the season (and just 1 red card) so far.

Hoping to see out the first half, instead Southend got even more good fortune with the ref sending off a Weir. It wasn’t really clear if it was for the initial foul on Corr (what looked like a high arm) or an off the ball incident. Anyway, the ref was confident and decisive all game and had clearly seen something. Corr continued to play pantomime villain. Booed off and on by the home crowd.

The second half continued where we left off, with Southend playing tidy and hard working football, and Burton struggling to get a foot on the ball in midfield. There was a sense that we were maybe trying a bit too hard to get the ball from defense to attack, with Prosser often playing poor long balls, and Worrall and Hurst denied decent service.

However a sudden spell of pressure for Burton was rewarded with a well taken goal. A long diagonal ball played to their 10 (decent player) on the right wing was missed by Coker – he tried to jump in front to cut it out but hopelessly missed. Their 10 attacked the box and squared the ball for a well taken shot past Bentley into the bottom corner.

Suddenly from nowhere Burton were right in it, and it was time for Brown to make a decision. The way I saw things at around 60mins were:
- He could stick with the team as it is, who were playing ok
- He could make an attacking change (Cassidy, sacrifice a defender or midfielder)
- He could make a defensive change (Deegan, to add some grit in the middle)
- He could make a fairly neutral change, but bring on fresh legs to attach a shorthanded Burton who had 1 sub left.
Options were probably Atkinson, Weston and Payne. Or swap Cassidy for Pigott

He went with the last option which is what I felt was sensible. Pigott had played ok but was looking to tire a little IMO and getting less joy out of their defenders. I was frustrated with Worrall going off instead of Hurst, because Worrall had played a bit better (not great though) and I assumed he must have had a knock. Payne and Weston seemed sensible because it felt like Corr and Pigott had spent 60mins roughing them up and then Payne and Weston would be able to have a free run at them. Weston would be a useful outlet out wide and Payne can finish chances if they drop to him. Instead neither sub worked. Payne was literally pushed off the ball repeatedly, at one point flying across the pitch after going shoulder to shoulder. Burton were outmuscling him and Weston, who had a complete shocker. I think that may well be the last of Weston in a Southend shirt.

We struggled to apply any real pressure, and it was becoming more clear that our defenders needed to look for a short option to Timlin and Leonard to try and open them up in different ways, but instead they still tried to hit Corr with long balls, or Hurst or Weston with big diagonals. Suddenly we were looking messy and confused.

The final roll of the dice was for Thompson to come off and bring Cassidy on. I felt that at this moment in time it was the right tactical change. 1 point wasn’t a great help for us – we should go all out for the 3. However Brown brought off our best defender on the night. Coker and White had been poor, and now were out of position. Prosser had played ok was left with his hands ful.

Cassidy did very little, failing to anticipate some opportunities, but Hurst got into the game a lot more, dropping his shoulder and putting in good crosses. With the benefit of hindsight it was clear that Pigott would have enjoyed that end of the game.

Now with 3 at the back, Burton sensed blood and attacked Coker a couple of times. The first time needed a good tackle from White to break up, but the second time White failed to get a tackle in and El Khayati curled a nice shot home.
A very frustrating conclusion to a game we should have easily won.

Main points of frustration:
- Timlin and Leonard not getting onto the ball in deep positions
- Worrall and Hurst failing to offer too much
- Our lack of game changing quality from the bench
- The complete demise of Weston and Payne
- White continuing to be a passenger for much of the game. We can’t continue to be so one-sided. For someone who is ‘defensively solid’ he struggles against the better wingers in this league.

Ratings:
Bentley – 6 – Commanded his box well. Very few saves to actually make. Picked the ball out of the net twice.
White – 5 – Where was he for much of the game?
Thompson – 7 – A strong aerial presence and calm on the ball
Prosser – 6 – Too often tried to play long passes. Defended ok until the last 10 mins
Coker – 5 – Poor day at the office
Hurst – 6 – Offered little until the last 10
Lenny – 6 – Ok, some decent long efforts but needed to run the show a bit more, taking the short options and driving.
Timlin – 7 – Defended well and was the only player apart from Corr who was clearly telling teammates where to be and what to do
Worrall – 6 – Struggled to create anything of note but linked up well before getting the hook.
Corr – 7 – MOTM – Missed pen aside (which was probably more of a good save than a poor pen) he bossed Burton for most of the night. Another goal (7 in 7) and looks fit and fighting.
Piggott – 6 – Fairly quiet, but worked hard alongside Corr.

Subs:
Payne – 4 – Little boy lost. Poor
Weston – 3 – Poorer
Cassidy – 5 – Couldn’t get into things.

Ref – 7- Couldn’t really tell with the big decisions but he seemed to have a fairly good grip on the game, he was perhaps niggly with some aspects but consistent.
Crowd – Good effort from everyone who went.

Last edited:
Back