• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mick

Life President
As some people can't seem to wait, a little earlier this week !!

The referee in charge of Saturday's big match is Paul Tierney from Wigan, a referee in his 5th year who we have seen remarkably little of.

He has refereed us just thrice before. Firstly, the 2-0 win at Bradford City in 2010/11 when Clohessey was sent off (there were 3 yellows apiece in addition to Clohessey's red) and more recently in the 1-0 home defeat to Burton the year before last when he showed 4 yellows to the visitors and one to Kalala. None of the 14 players we fielded that day remains on the club's playing staff, quite a turn round. Mind you not one of the Burton players that day figured on Sunday either.

Finally, not that long ago at York when there were no goals, 2 yellows for York and one for Big Bad Barry.

His last Burton match saw three red cards at home to Bristol Rovers this season, including O'Toole!

A referee who is quite highly rated, he has had loads of Championship fixtures again this season and although he is bang on average with yellow cards, he certainly doesn't hold back with the reds. His 34 matches have produced 104 yellows and a staggering, and unlucky for some, thirteen reds mostly to away players.

Assisting will be brummie Alan Hendley and Mark Pottage from Wincanton (who I saw last Saturday reffing the Conference South playoff final just about okay). Fourth Official, as for all the playoffs and most televised matches, is a proper League referee. In this case, it's James Linington from Newport, Isle of Wight, who some will remember for the linesman assisted dismissal of Mark Phillips against Dagenham and the slightly damp (and damp squib of a match) game against Newport both at Roots Hall this season.

As some people can't seem to wait, a little earlier this week !!

The referee in charge of Saturday's big match is Paul Tierney from Wigan, a referee in his 5th year who we have seen remarkably little of.

He has refereed us just thrice before. Firstly, the 2-0 win at Bradford City in 2010/11 when Clohessey was sent off (there were 3 yellows apiece in addition to Clohessey's red) and more recently in the 1-0 home defeat to BURTON the year before last when he showed 4 yellows to the visitors and one to Kalala. None of the 14 players we fielded that day remains on the club's playing staff, quite a turn round. Mind you not one of the Burton players that day figured on Sunday either.

Finally, not that long ago at York when there were no goals, 2 yellows for York and one for Big Bad Barry.

His last Burton match saw three red cards at home to Bristol Rovers this season, including O'Toole!

A referee who is quite highly rated, he has had loads of Championship fixtures again this season and although he is bang on average with yellow cards, he certainly doesn't hold back with the reds. His 34 matches have produced 104 yellows and a staggering, and unlucky for some, thirteen reds mostly to away players.

Assisting will be brummie Alan Hendley and Mark Pottage from Wincanton (who I saw last Saturday reffing the Conference South playoff final just about okay). Fourth Official, as for all the playoffs and most televised matches, is a proper League referee. In this case, it's James Linington from Newport, Isle of Wight, who some will remember for the linesman assisted dismissal of Mark Phillips against Dagenham and the slightly damp (and damp squib of a match) game against Newport both at Roots Hall this season.

You could have missed that out...........I wouldn't have said anything! :winking:

Paul Tierney warmed up for Saturday's big match by taking charge of tonight's Premier League U21 Final at Old Trafford between Man Utd and Chelsea. The crowd was over 13,000, there were no red cards and Chelsea won 2-1.

Paul Tierney warmed up for Saturday's big match by taking charge of tonight's Premier League U21 Final at Old Trafford between Man Utd and Chelsea. The crowd was over 13,000, there were no red cards and Chelsea won 2-1.

I watched this without realising it was our upcoming ref. Seemed to handle the game quite well. Didn't seem afraid to give an early yellow card or two for anything careless.

I did end up thinking that the referee had handled the game quite well after watching it, although from a neutral viewpoint my view may be different compared to what it will be on Saturday!

I watched this without realising it was our upcoming ref. Seemed to handle the game quite well. Didn't seem afraid to give an early yellow card or two for anything careless.

Didn't realise it was on TV. Wouldn't have watched it anyway !!

Would one of our refereeing friends like to give us their views on Mr Tierney's performance today?.

Would one of our refereeing friends like to give us their views on Mr Tierney's performance today?.

No takers for this then?. All sticking together as fellow members of the Refs Union or too embarrassed by his performance?.:unsure:

Wasn't the best, was it ?

The standard of refereeing in the play-offs generally has been exceptionally good. Sadly, our two games appeared to have been blessed with the 11th and 12th best performances of the twelve matches. I'm not sure which order I would put them in. Clearly if we'd had them the other way round we'd have got that penalty at Burton as Tierney had a far less tolerant approach to tackles when the tackler goes to ground (although strangely he seemed quite happy with players wrestling other players as long as they stayed on their feet!).

I wonder if referees of second legs study the footage of the first leg in detail or whether they avoid it completely to prevent coming into the match with any preconceptions. If they do watch them, Corr's behaviour at Burton probably cost him a few free-kicks that he should have been given on Saturday.

So back to your original question, I wasn't impressed. His foul detection was erratic and inconsistent and he could have been firmer with time wasting - although he did add a fair bit on. (The head injuries he can do nothing about. The one time he decides to play on may be the one time it's a serious injury and he's in trouble.)

I wonder if referees of second legs study the footage of the first leg in detail or whether they avoid it completely to prevent coming into the match with any preconceptions.

That's an interesting point. On the one hand I hope they don't, so they come into the game fresh and unbiased. On the other, maybe he could have seen the timewasting and could have had a word early on.

Mick said:

The standard of refereeing in the play-offs generally has been exceptionally good. Sadly, our two games appeared to have been blessed with the 11th and 12th best performances of the twelve matches. I'm not sure which order I would put them in. Clearly if we'd had them the other way round we'd have got that penalty at Burton as Tierney had a far less tolerant approach to tackles when the tackler goes to ground (although strangely he seemed quite happy with players wrestling other players as long as they stayed on their feet!).

I wonder if referees of second legs study the footage of the first leg in detail or whether they avoid it completely to prevent coming into the match with any preconceptions. If they do watch them, Corr's behaviour at Burton probably cost him a few free-kicks that he should have been given on Saturday.

So back to your original question, I wasn't impressed. His foul detection was erratic and inconsistent and he could have been firmer with time wasting - although he did add a fair bit on. (The head injuries he can do nothing about. The one time he decides to play on may be the one time it's a serious injury and he's in trouble.)
Funnily enough, I watched the game back when I got home on Saturday, and having seen the 3 decisions given against Egan in the 1st 15 mins, I came to the same conclusion.

Napster said:
That's an interesting point. On the one hand I hope they don't, so they come into the game fresh and unbiased. On the other, maybe he could have seen the timewasting and could have had a word early on.
he did have a word early on, certainly before they'd scored. He called the captain over after they delayed taking a free-kick and pointed out that it was the 3rd time. He then booked Hussey after about 30 mins, when he dallied over taking a throw-in (mind you, Strakes had just barrelled him into the hoardings, so he might have been a tad unlucky)

Out of interest, is there any reason why we can't contest a drop ball? If the ref blows for a head injury and then restarts the game with a drop ball, why do we retreat and let them hoof it as far away as possible? Why can't we contest it properly?

Also, during one of these uncontested drop balls one of the Burton players controlled the ball and then hoofed it, taking two touches. Is he allowed to take two touches, or should that have been either retaken or even given to us as a free kick?

For clarity, this isn't sour grapes, it's just I'm interested to know the rules.

Out of interest, is there any reason why we can't contest a drop ball? If the ref blows for a head injury and then restarts the game with a drop ball, why do we retreat and let them hoof it as far away as possible? Why can't we contest it properly?

Also, during one of these uncontested drop balls one of the Burton players controlled the ball and then hoofed it, taking two touches. Is he allowed to take two touches, or should that have been either retaken or even given to us as a free kick?

For clarity, this isn't sour grapes, it's just I'm interested to know the rules.

A player can take no touches at all until the dropped ball touches the ground and thereafter as many touches as he likes.

I too feel we'd be better off contesting a dropped ball in the attacking third rather than waiting for them to return it to our keeper or out of play.

Just watched the full recording and some of the major incidents several times. Thought some of the decisions I saw with my own eyes from 8 rows back in the East Stand on Saturday were poor given that the officials are so much closer. T.V. has proven their display to have been at best incompetent. Wigan's only down the road......... hmmm !!

Thanks Mick, appreciate your comments.:thumbsup:

A player can take no touches at all until the dropped ball touches the ground and thereafter as many touches as he likes.

I too feel we'd be better off contesting a dropped ball in the attacking third rather than waiting for them to return it to our keeper or out of play.

Thanks Mick. I think we should therefore have contested the obviously faked head injury in their 6 yard box. That would have been interesting.

Thanks Mick. I think we should therefore have contested the obviously faked head injury in their 6 yard box. That would have been interesting.

Not that interesting. The drop is at the point where the ball is when the referee blows as opposed to where the "injury" occurred.

Not that interesting. The drop is at the point where the ball is when the referee blows as opposed to where the "injury" occurred.

One of them (I think it possibly was the one LB is talking about) was almost level with the edge of the box on the West side, would much rather have contested a drop ball there than have it hoofed back - on target no less - to Dan Bentley!

We did vs Accrington and it lead to Corr's winning goal.

Back