• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mick

Life President
We have an experienced set of officials as we jostle for play-off positions tomorrow. The referee is, I believe, making his Roots Hall debut; hardly surprising as it is a 400 mile round trip for him! In charge is Mark Haywood from Wakefield, West Yorkshire (not to be confused with League referee Mark Heywood from Northwich). This is his 8th season as a League referee and we have seen very little of him in that time.

In fact he has refereed us just three times before.

Most recently in the Shrimps v Shrimpers disgraceful performance (on many levels) in 2011/12 season (just one yellow apiece, Barker for us) when Mohsni left early.

Prior to that when Mohsni left it late with two goals in the 88th and 90th minutes at Crewe (1-3) also in 2011/12 when he showed an uncharacteristically high 6 yellows (4 to us) and finally in the 2-1 defeat at Northampton 2010/11 with the game's only yellow card going to Mohsni.

He rose through the ranks quite quickly and his card count has always been very comfortably the right side of average and he is getting plenty of Championship matches. He has shown just 73 yellows in 34 matches with 5 red cards (all to away players) this season.

Assistants are good non-league referee David Rock from Hertford who is a qualified coach in all manner of sports and poor non-league referee Michael George from North Walsham, Norfolk. The 4th official is the reliable non-league referee Dave Bushell from London.

We have an experienced set of officials as we jostle for play-off positions tomorrow. The referee is, I believe, making his Roots Hall debut; hardly surprising as it is a 400 mile round trip for him! In charge is Mark Haywood from Wakefield, West Yorkshire (not to be confused with League referee Mark Heywood from Northwich). This is his 8th season as a League referee and we have seen very little of him in that time.

In fact he has refereed us just three times before.

Most recently in the Shrimps v Shrimpers disgraceful performance (on many levels) in 2011/12 season (just one yellow apiece, Barker for us) when Mohsni left early.

Prior to that when Mohsni left it late with two goals in the 88th and 90th minutes at Crewe (1-3) also in 2011/12 when he showed an uncharacteristically high 6 yellows (4 to us) and finally in the 2-1 defeat at Northampton 2010/11 with the game's only yellow card going to Mohsni.

He rose through the ranks quite quickly and his card count has always been very comfortably the right side of average and he is getting plenty of Championship matches. He has shown just 73 yellows in 34 matches with 5 red cards (all to away players) this season.

Assistants are good non-league referee David Rock from Hertford who is a qualified coach in all manner of sports and poor non-league referee Michael George from North Walsham, Norfolk. The 4th official is the reliable non-league referee Dave Bushell from London.

So many non league refs? I guarantee we'll have the crappest(?!) one on the West side! :facepalm:

So many non league refs? I guarantee we'll have the crappest(?!) one on the West side! :facepalm:

The Assistants are pretty much always "non-league refs". The senior one is usually deployed on the side of the benches, i.e the East stand.

Thanks Mick for another good report.
Because of your updates I do take more note of what the officials do and my main gripe is the inconsistencies: plus the huge gulf between a poor ref and the good refs, I would like to know what the assessor so make of them and what feedback they give.

Thanks Mick for another good report.
Because of your updates I do take more note of what the officials do and my main gripe is the inconsistencies: plus the huge gulf between a poor ref and the good refs, I would like to know what the assessor so make of them and what feedback they give.

Would be interesting agreed, but, rightly, not in the public domain.

One of the better referee's I have seen this season as I really liked the way he let the game flow if at all possible.

Seriously? Thought he was quite poor. Gave a free kick in the first half when Timlin won the ball from their player by their 18 yard area then when their player went studs up 2 footed into Timlin 5 mins later, he stopped the game as it was clear it was a bad tackle and Timlin was injured, yet only gave a drop ball. Red card challenge for me

Seriously? Thought he was quite poor. Gave a free kick in the first half when Timlin won the ball from their player by their 18 yard area then when their player went studs up 2 footed into Timlin 5 mins later, he stopped the game as it was clear it was a bad tackle and Timlin was injured, yet only gave a drop ball. Red card challenge for me

Yes seriously and whilst I do did not agree with every decision I thought he handled the game well. I would agree as had a very good view of the tackle on Timlin it was a foul so surprised and dissapointed he gave a drop ball. Would have thought he should have booked or at least warned him as well but not a red card for me.

I was in the west and that was right in front of me. Hands down red card without a doubt!

To be honest, I could have reffed that, and I've currently only got one properly working leg!!!!

Just for the OBL... refereeing is done at levels. You can line at a level above your refereeing level. So, you will find Conference and Conference South referees on lines at League Two.

To be honest, I could have reffed that, and I've currently only got one properly working leg!!!!

Just for the OBL... refereeing is done at levels. You can line at a level above your refereeing level. So, you will find Conference and Conference South referees on lines at League Two.

Thanks Kerry, just seemed a little odd.

I thought that was a bad challenge and definitely at least a yellow yet the ref awarded us nothing. Weak officials as far as I was concerned, Burton got away with some tough challenges and two definite obstructive blocks when our player was running the keeper down.

Thought he was very very poor, a few times there were blatant free-kicks both ways that he just ignored. I thought he was a little Burton biased too.

He got so much wrong today for both sides. Very poor referee who looked too overweight to keep up with the game. The tackle on Timlin was a leg breaker and he didn't even give a free kick. It's all very well for punters to say he let the game flow but I could do that. Ref the game as it should be refereed. Mind you I watched back the rerun of the last World Cup Final recently and worrying to remember how poor Howard Webb was that day. Just shows how hard it is to referee these days.

He got so much wrong today for both sides. Very poor referee who looked too overweight to keep up with the game. The tackle on Timlin was a leg breaker and he didn't even give a free kick. It's all very well for punters to say he let the game flow but I could do that. Ref the game as it should be refereed. Mind you I watched back the rerun of the last World Cup Final recently and worrying to remember how poor Howard Webb was that day. Just shows how hard it is to referee these days.
Act

Actually, no it doesn't. It really shows how little people know about the Law, how to apply them and what referees actually do.

Today's was fine. The game fell into the "not tested" category. You know when you all yell about refs spoiling games for "nothing offences" and being over picky. Those who moan got their wish today. He had a decent match, wasn't really noticed. Assistant West side was good as well.....

Assistant West side was good as well.....

Really? Couldn't make a decision all game, looked to the ref for anything to give him a clue! Handball right in front of him first half, not given...the Timlin incident was in front of him too, nothing given!

Back