• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Bury & Bolton points deficit

I feel like this wouldn't solve the problem. Clubs would (still) just spend out of their means, and use the trust. What's stopping a chairman/owner gambling and putting a club into £5m worth of debt in an effort to climb the football pyramid and then just using the 'trust fund' to get out of trouble.

It's the owners' fault. How the Bury owner passed the fit and proper test I will never know.

Incredibly gutted for them and their fans, hopefully they'll enjoy and take pride in re-building their club(s) from the ashes - as many clubs have in the past.

From what i read in one article. It seemed if an owner takes over a club during a season the test is not applicable and they ask for the proof of funds/carry out the test at the end of the season. being the proof of funds that have been requested from Steve Dale in recent weeks and months. if that is true then that just makes the whole situation even more ridiculous than it already is.

Bury owner Steve Dale is calling for the EFL to rescind the decision to expel the club from the Football League.

Link

My friend Andy is a Shaker. I know him from the once famous TFF. Last night he posted this. I share it, because, one day it might be us.... and we may need to step in before we get to this point....

Little did we know we were watching the final moments of our football club. 135 years of which 125 years were spent in the football league.
Twice FA cup winners
4th place finish in the top flight of English football
First team to score 1,000 goals in all four leagues
Dead.
Tomorrow I have to break the news to my little boy that his football club is dead.
He will never walk down Manchester Road again and make his way to his seat to sit with his dad, grandad and great uncle at Gigg Lane ever again. Our home since our inception 135 years ago.
He will be too young to understand this fully nor capable of realising the cataclysmic loss that this has had on not just myself but him.
He will never be able to grow old there, watch football and make memories he can remember. Meet and make lifelong friendships formed by the bond of his football club. He will never be able to look at Gigg Lane and be proud of being a Bury fan.
I’m devastated that I’ve lost such a huge part of my life tonight and a part of my identity.
Goodnight. ?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...LJdJ21M30MXMlQwVoLZPrON0QK22oGpN7WmJyoeZO0Xyh

From what i read in one article. It seemed if an owner takes over a club during a season the test is not applicable and they ask for the proof of funds/carry out the test at the end of the season. being the proof of funds that have been requested from Steve Dale in recent weeks and months. if that is true then that just makes the whole situation even more ridiculous than it already is.

I think the big issue was that Bury were very close to liquidation at that point too so the League bypassed some of the checks in order to sign off on the sale. Which is probably one of the reasons why they weren't keen to go down that route again when the three bids suddenly turned up at 6.30pm last night

iys always sad yo see the demise of any lower league club ,you feel fot their supporters,as fot your sarcastic remark (itsmichael b;ack) remember not too long ago that could have been SOUTHEND UNITED ,Then how would you have felt.

I don't think it is mate, we're about to be bought out and all we're apparently waiting for is for them to go through the EFL tests.

So how about fans taking some responsibility.

We wanted every player sacked with two games to go last season. We wanted to cancel contracts and pay players off.....Which would mean replacements would demand even higher money as the club would have shown no loyalty.

People still think Bond should have signed more players, better players, bigger stronger and at least 30 of them to cover all options.....Guess what we are in more debt than Bury. But we can't wait to sack Bond and all his staff. We will still be paying monthly for CP and Matthew's as we speak. So we will be paying for wages for 3 managers next month.

As Mackem points out if sky gave all the lower league teams another £5m per year all that would happen is the very players you spend all week slagging off would be three times more wealthy and with far less incentive to put a shift in.... Worse still the agents would be making killing whilst squeezing all that extra lolly form clubs like ours.

Our turnover is around £4.5m...more than enough for any business to provide around 40 hrs entertainment a year.......I use that term loosely of course.

So how about fans taking some responsibility.

Because Riggers we aren't the people who finance football clubs. We can call for the dismissal of Bond, because frankly he needs to be shown the door now. It will be down to Ron to decide whether that is a financially viable situation. No doubt he will take into account much, much more than dissenting voices on an internet forum or social media. He'll consider the long term effects. Can he afford to pay of Bond and co? Can he risk losing gate revenue as people refuse to shell out for £20 for "non-entertainement". Can he risk relegation to Tier 4 and the financial horrors that brings. He'll probably look at the EFL Cup draw and think what might have been.

And of course the fans didn't appoint Bond. Or Powell. Or Brown. Or Sturrock. Or Tilson etc etc

I think the one group of people who cannot be blamed or even take a modicum of responsibility are the fans.

Because Riggers we aren't the people who finance football clubs. We can call for the dismissal of Bond, because frankly he needs to be shown the door now. It will be down to Ron to decide whether that is a financially viable situation. No doubt he will take into account much, much more than dissenting voices on an internet forum or social media. He'll consider the long term effects. Can he afford to pay of Bond and co? Can he risk losing gate revenue as people refuse to shell out for £20 for "non-entertainement". Can he risk relegation to Tier 4 and the financial horrors that brings. He'll probably look at the EFL Cup draw and think what might have been.

And of course the fans didn't appoint Bond. Or Powell. Or Brown. Or Sturrock. Or Tilson etc etc

I think the one group of people who cannot be blamed or even take a modicum of responsibility are the fans.

Yes football is a business but being a fan is more than just being a customer. If i dont like what being served up at a restaurant i can take my trade to another.....I'm not going to go to Col U or Gillingham because we have lost 5 league games.

What us fans have been doing is pushing the finances up and up each year whilst demanding heads roll like some South American dictator/chairman from the 70's.....The sort of people we used to laugh at when Dave Smith won the title, the season after he got relegated but kept his job.

Yes we are not helped by the powers that be, look at THIEFA the next World cup.
But to claim we have zero responsibility is sticking your head in the sand. Its our game there our football clubs and we should all do more to try and maintain that, rather than hand it to people who couldn't care less about any of us.

Yes football is a business but being a fan is more than just being a customer. If i dont like what being served up at a restaurant i can take my trade to another.....I'm not going to go to Col U or Gillingham because we have lost 5 league games.

What us fans have been doing is pushing the finances up and up each year whilst demanding heads roll like some South American dictator/chairman from the 70's.....The sort of people we used to laugh at when Dave Smith won the title, the season after he got relegated but kept his job.

Yes we are not helped by the powers that be, look at THIEFA the next World cup.
But to claim we have zero responsibility is sticking your head in the sand. Its our game there our football clubs and we should all do more to try and maintain that, rather than hand it to people who couldn't care less about any of us.

Well no, actually, we are a customer. We might not up sticks and go and watch someone else, but can still remove ourselves from watching games at Roots Hall, buying from the club shop, etc etc..... The effect is the same as no longer eating at Gerry's Nosh (remember that?)

I remember Vic Jobson telling a lot of us to "watch someone else". When push came to crunch we did, or we stopped watching at all. Some have never watched since, some never came back, some did.

You and I are not responsible for what happened at Bury. Neither are we responsible for what may happen at Southend. You and I didn't negotiate the contracts, buy the players, ire the manager or pay the bills. We merely show up every week to be "entertained".

Could so easily be us...BBC radio5 said something along the lines of "clubs in deep financial trouble...Macclesfield, Bolton, Oxford, Southend..."

What puzzles me is how the debt is allowed to build up in the first place. Surely banks don't lend huge sums to small clubs...do they? I really don't know.

Well no, actually, we are a customer. We might not up sticks and go and watch someone else, but can still remove ourselves from watching games at Roots Hall, buying from the club shop, etc etc..... The effect is the same as no longer eating at Gerry's Nosh (remember that?)

I remember Vic Jobson telling a lot of us to "watch someone else". When push came to crunch we did, or we stopped watching at all. Some have never watched since, some never came back, some did.

You and I are not responsible for what happened at Bury. Neither are we responsible for what may happen at Southend. You and I didn't negotiate the contracts, buy the players, ire the manager or pay the bills. We merely show up every week to be "entertained".

Certainly remember eating at Gerry's Nosh.Am I to infer that the donut stall is no longer there? :Cry:

Very hard to read that. Football is far more than just 22 men kicking a ball about for 90 minutes. As many said in the article: It's an identity. I know many people that have been pulled through difficult times due to football. I can't comprehend how hard it must be to lose your club.

Without Sunderland I'd lose half of who I am. Half of my life is devoted to the club. Reading those stories made reality hit again, and how close Sunderland were to going bust just over a year ago.

A fraud investigation has been launched involving Bury Football Club, police have confirmed.

Link

About time but may be months to late.

Back