• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Bury & Bolton points deficit

Or when Bury beat us on the final day of the season a couple of years back, only to be deducted the win by the EFL, and the 3 points given to us as they fielded a non registered player.

As you say... Bye Bye Bury!!

Yeah the moved us up to the coveted 12th place. Woo and hoo.

Ive said many times that only a certain amount of foriegners should be allowed to take the field at the same time for their club ,that there should be a quota of English born players on the field at any given time during the match 6 to 5 ,i think is good .sign as many foriegners as they like.
I don't see how it will help, all you'll get are more Danny Drinkwaters going to the big clubs for silly money even though there's no chance they'll get a game, (probably at even more inflated prices than normal if clubs have to fill a quota) when they would be the first name on the team sheet at a club like Leicester. What players should be doing is what plenty of Spanish and German players do, if they can't get a club in England then they should be willing to move abroad. Barely any of France's World Cup winning squad actually play in France. A few of our younger players seem to have woken up to the concept, Sancho in particular has done well but would probably still be an unknown if he hadn't moved to Dortmund, but we need more English players going abroad.

Last edited:
I don't see how it will help, all you'll get are more Danny Drinkwaters going to the big clubs for silly money even though there's no chance they'll get a game, (probably at even more inflated prices than normal if clubs have to fill a quota) when they would be the first name on the team sheet at a club like Leicester. What players should be doing is what plenty of Spanish and German players do, if they can't get a club in England then they should be willing to move abroad. Barely any of France's World Cup winning squad actually play in France.

Agreed. It's the British mentality of inability to speak a foreign language that possibly may stop a lot of players moving to to Europe. Most Europeans speak excellent English thanks to their education system.

Agreed. It's the British mentality of inability to speak a foreign language that possibly may stop a lot of players moving to to Europe. Most Europeans speak excellent English thanks to their education system.
Lots of footballers aren't top steam learners, and young Brits don't seem to travel well or adapt to other cultures, could the issue be poor knowledge and a closed environment which even package holidays to Spain etc don't bridge.

Most European youth also listen extensively to English language music from a very young age and also watch many TV programmes and film in English. As a 2nd language it is often first choice in schools where as in the UK should 2nd language be French, German, Spanish, mandarin etc?.

Last edited:
Most also listen extensively to English language music from a very young age and also watch many TV programmes and film in English. As a 2nd language it is often first choice in schools where as in the UK should 2nd language be French, German, Spanish, mandarin etc.

Music yes, but a lot of films & TV are dubbed or shown in the native language. I'm sorry but when it comes to languages, the majority of the British are just plain lazy.

I think it's more because of the English superiority complex. Too many in this country think that the Premier League is the be all and end all. Whereas in France it would be seen to be a step forward to move to La Liga, the Premiership, Bundersliga and Serie A. Here it's the Premier League or nothing.

Most players don't move to Europe because the pay is much better in England, not because of language difficulties.

Europeans put English as a high priority because it the most important language in the business world.

Most players don't move to Europe because the pay is much better in England, not because of language difficulties.

Europeans put English as a high priority because it the most important language in the business world.

I would say that in all my time in Spain I've only known Gary Lineker, Michael Robinson,John Toshack and Steve Archibald to achieve a high level of fluency in the language.Some players and managers eg Mark Hughes and Ron Atkinson were just laughable.

Last edited:
I would say that in all my time in Spain I've only known Gary Lineker, Michael Robinson,John Toshack and Steve Archibald to achieve a high level of fluency in the language.Some players and managers eg Mark Hughes and Ron Atkinson were just laughable.

Equally the range of fluency in English is wide from the players and managers who come to England.

The biggest problem for any of us Brits abroad is not just because of laziness, It is the very fact that English is so widely spoken. I learnt some french at school and did an adult course some years back. With holidays in many places the French was only being used a few days every other year. As you well know they like you to at least make the effort but then usually take over in English so you don't get far.

However in Brazil, English is hardly used so you have to communicate all the time in Portuguese. From not knowing a word I could communicate reasonably well in just a couple of trips.

Obviously the Brazilian nasal accent is difficult to master but learning a language like you do when your a child by one word at a time has made me realise how wrong you teachers are. Who cares about full sentences, grammar or spelling. Learn to communicate, including hands and gestures and the rest will follow if you need it to.....Which you really don't.

Shouldn't the EFL be punishing themselves considering it's come out that Bury's owner was allowed to takeover the club despite the fact he never bothered to provide the required documentation for the 'fit and proper' test?

But there's just one little thing that's really, really
Really, really annoying me about Bury, you see
Yeah, yeah, like I said, Bury are not really fit
But my gosh, don't FA just know it?

- The Streets

Equally the range of fluency in English is wide from the players and managers who come to England.

The biggest problem for any of us Brits abroad is not just because of laziness, It is the very fact that English is so widely spoken. I learnt some french at school and did an adult course some years back. With holidays in many places the French was only being used a few days every other year. As you well know they like you to at least make the effort but then usually take over in English so you don't get far.

However in Brazil, English is hardly used so you have to communicate all the time in Portuguese. From not knowing a word I could communicate reasonably well in just a couple of trips.

Obviously the Brazilian nasal accent is difficult to master but learning a language like you do when your a child by one word at a time has made me realise how wrong you teachers are. Who cares about full sentences, grammar or spelling. Learn to communicate, including hands and gestures and the rest will follow if you need it to.....Which you really don't.

Think you'll find that the "communicative revolution" took place a long time ago,back in the 80's, at least in EFL teaching.

Your experience of learning Portuguese (which some Brazilians apparently refer to as Brazilian :Winking: ) is confirmed by our daughters' language learning experience (both of whom are now fluent speakers,indeed the older one used to have a Brazilian boyfriend).

Is there a rivalry between yourselves and Bury? Where has that came from?
There is a rivalry but its pretty good natured. We used to have one of their fans camped on this board so the banter flew around a bit. We also shared a promotion season with them. There is a similarity in our grounds as well, they're both ancient and in need of renewal and we have vied with them for the number of times in court with HMRC. They appear to be winning that race hands down at the moment. Its a lower leagues thing.

What happened in relation to Bolton failing to fulfill their fixture last year. Do they have further points still to be deducted?

What happened in relation to Bolton failing to fulfill their fixture last year. Do they have further points still to be deducted?

I will not be very surprised if they fail completely and are unable to either start or complete this season. What a mess, and that is only what is widely spoken of, who knows what horror is in an examination of their full situation.
I thought Parky would have jumped ship but he must be on TOO much money to risk not getting a closure payment.

Back