• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Bury & Bolton points deficit

Regards Bolton, at least three pre-seasons cancelled - Chester, Preston and Oldham - and apparently players still unpaid with settlement pending the club's (eventual) takeover - if / when that might be.

Bury are under a CVA.

I will not be very surprised if they fail completely and are unable to either start or complete this season. What a mess, and that is only what is widely spoken of, who knows what horror is in an examination of their full situation.
I thought Parky would have jumped ship but he must be on TOO much money to risk not getting a closure payment.

I think you might be right here. I read somewhere that the company who own their ground are in similar financial trouble, and they may not actually have anywhere to play.

In order play in the EFL you have to give an undertaking that you can complete your fixtures. If they "no show" on 3rd August, I think all bets as to their continued existence are off.

But surely, surely, someone will step in before then.

I would imagine any businessman or consortium will leave any bids to the last minute to get maximum leverage, similar to Eu/Boris you keep your cards close to your chest (Please no politics)

Still a name in the circles of Football is Bolton, its just a case of whether they have too much debt for someone to take on, feel for the supporters

Go through the joy of promotion to the pain of possibly going out of business. :Facepalm:

Lets hope they turn it around.

There will be much head scratching at EFL HQs, will they NOW recognise the "fit" person test is not enough, nor are the "fair play" finance rules, nor the distribution of TV money plus much more.
If Bury and Bolton, or just the one, don't make it what happens?
All their TV monies gets split between L1 clubs, or L1 & L2, or between Champs and L1 and L2 but in same proportions as usual monies?
Players (and staff) become free agents? PFA temporary pay contracts of un-paid players?
Just 2 teams relegated and next season 6 up from L2 and 4 from Conference?
Horrendous.
Fingers crossed it is sorted fast as time is running out and decisions need making before, (how long before?) the first kick offs.

Bury have been given to midday Monday by the EFL to provide information they requested or their first match of the season will be suspended.

Last edited:
The fact we have a ****e shirt and a sponsor we don't like pales into insignificant compared to the problems Bolton and Bury face.

Both now have a 5pm deadline to prove they can meet their debts, or no games on Saturday.

Bury of course face a winding up order, and given their current predicament, you have to question whether they will survive.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49153314

Meanwhile the likes of Gareth Bale does b-all whilst earning £500k per week and apparently more interested in playing golf. The world of football has gone mad !

Bolton and Bury could find their opening Sky Bet League One fixtures suspended over ongoing financial concerns, the English Football League has warned.

More...

I know Bury will be starting on -12 points but I haven't heard anything confirming Bolton will. I know there's talk on this thread that they have but I haven't seen anything official, can someone confirm either way?

I hope its a case of no news is good news.

I expect both clubs would have submitted something, and that something needs to be analysed. That wont be a quick job.

Hopefully, both clubs will get good news tomorrow.......

Very bad news for Bury.. They've not been able to provide the guarantees to the EFL that they can be funded, with their winding up order on Wednesday how on earth will they satisfy the court that they can pay HMRC??

As for Bolton. Will their players actually play? They've been on strike for weeks and not been paid.

It will impact on the whole league, for Accers especially the Bury and Bolton home games could be good fund sources being neighbour Lancashire clubs.
We would also "miss" the revenue from our home games if the worse happens.
And then there are the cup fixtures starting very close to the start of the season.

Very bad news for Bury.. They've not been able to provide the guarantees to the EFL that they can be funded, with their winding up order on Wednesday how on earth will they satisfy the court that they can pay HMRC??

As for Bolton. Will their players actually play? They've been on strike for weeks and not been paid.

I think Bolton will survive. Big club. Big stadium. Big history.

Bury on the other hand are a struggling league 1 or 2 club with limited stadium and a ramshackle stadium.

Bury could cease to exist this week.

Back