• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Bury & Bolton points deficit

Bin them from the league for this season and give them until 1st January to apply to be part of L2 next season with money sorted and ready to go.
Scrap all points and goals awarded against them.

How is that fair to Conference clubs who will miss out on promotion? If (and probably when) they go under, they'll have to reform and work their way up from the lowest tier.

Would not be best that both these clubs go bust and reform with a clean slate and start a fresh.Its easy for me to say this it's not my club and would think differently it was Southend. However a signal needs to be sent out as if you live beyond your means this will happen.EFL needs to be more strict as at present I don't think that they have carried out the due diligence process adequately these problems have not happened overnight they have going on for years.I truly hope they both survive with right owners/funds in place.

How is that fair to Conference clubs who will miss out on promotion? If (and probably when) they go under, they'll have to reform and work their way up from the lowest tier.
It is a compromise idea, however I accept your post has made a fair point.
For sure the EFL needs to sort it's regulations and date deadlines out as the current farce is not acceptable and should never be repeated.
What is the lowest tier league that you suggest?

It is a compromise idea, however I accept your post has made a fair point.
For sure the EFL needs to sort it's regulations and date deadlines out as the current farce is not acceptable and should never be repeated.
What is the lowest tier league that you suggest?

I don't know mate. Where did AFC Wimbledon start?

Sky hold your head in shame, the monies you ply to Premiership and parachute payments to those that get relegated is beyond belief, share the money down the line, and if necessary donot give to Chairman to squander but put each clubs allocation in a "Trust " to help when needed
Jeff Sterling will be moaning on Saturday, but those like Thompson, Nicholas will nod and get back to the big boys football not giving a hoot about Bury

SKY?
What about the BBC? don't they show MOTD and have radio rights.
Not forgetting BT SPORT of course and Amazon and countless overseas broadcasting rights.
SKY are not responsible for Bury going under and are certainly not responsible for parachute payments.
The EPL set the price and the TV companies bid for the rights.

Logged in for the first time in a long time for this. It's such sad times for anyone associated with Bury and potentially Bolton in two weeks time but there's no simple solution here. I spent some time this morning trying to leave together proposals around establishing a 'rainy day' fund administered by the FA but even something like that falls foul of the realities of Company Law - if an Administrator can claim against such a fund they will and we saw with the Bury case the power in a CVA held by a previous owner - a likely reason why Ron has rarely written off debt to his other companies in our books.

There has to be serious repercussions for clubs living beyond their means - Bury have been cheating for at least five seasons now and there's a team in League Two today who should be in League One considering that Bury got promotion with a team they couldn't afford to pay.

It's an emotional time now but in the coming months there needs to be an urgent post-mortem and changes made to ensure in the long run that clubs can be on a more stable financial footing whilst protecting Clubs like ours in the short term. But there's no easy answers here and just blaming Sky or the Football League seems pointless as it just lets those more directly responsible off of the hook.

Sky hold your head in shame, the monies you ply to Premiership and parachute payments to those that get relegated is beyond belief, share the money down the line, and if necessary donot give to Chairman to squander but put each clubs allocation in a "Trust " to help when needed
Jeff Sterling will be moaning on Saturday, but those like Thompson, Nicholas will nod and get back to the big boys football not giving a hoot about Bury

I feel like this wouldn't solve the problem. Clubs would (still) just spend out of their means, and use the trust. What's stopping a chairman/owner gambling and putting a club into £5m worth of debt in an effort to climb the football pyramid and then just using the 'trust fund' to get out of trouble.

It's the owners' fault. How the Bury owner passed the fit and proper test I will never know.

Incredibly gutted for them and their fans, hopefully they'll enjoy and take pride in re-building their club(s) from the ashes - as many clubs have in the past.

Last edited:
Pancake hasn't been around of late. If you read this, chin up mate. Rebuild and lets hope we play you in a few years when AFC Bury climb up the ladder.

I feel like this wouldn't solve the problem. Clubs would (still) just spend out of their means, and use the trust. What's stopping a chairman/owner gambling and putting a club into £5m worth of debt in an effort to climb the football pyramid and then just using the 'trust fund' to get out of trouble.

It's the owners' fault. How the Bury owner passed the fit and proper test I will never know.

Incredibly gutted for them and their fans, hopefully they'll enjoy and take pride in re-building their club from the ashes - as many clubs have in the past.

Their owner(s) passed the test due to the EFL being incompetent and unfit for purpose.

Back