• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Actually it is of course not necessarily about the numbers either way. I very much respect the view about quality over quantity. I remember Ian Holloway talking about a transformational transfer window, where they went from no hopers to being promoted , generally he believed on the back of one critical signing.
Success clearly depends on too many factors as we found in large measure to our cost this year.. But you cant just keep repeating the old one eyed mantra that if you bring in a lot of players you are doomed to failure. Its not a theory supported by the evidence.
A multitude of diverse factors are at play from Individual performance , team spirit, Management and coaches, personalities, fitness, scouting, finances, the weather, confidence, injuries, pre-season, training, systems played, agents, size of squad, competition, referees, the wind blowing in a northerly Direction etc etc, so please lets stop keep dragging up poor old Bury , with their superb success this year against all the off field horror to try to say its down to signing to many players.

Did you know Bazz, Bury were the first club (not sure in anyone else has achieved it since) to play 1000 games in each of the 4 divisions. They have also won the FAC.

Anyway when I mentioned the 15 players I meant two summers ago under Lee Clark, which as you know didn't work out to well in the end.

I have no idea what the did last season, mainly because I don't focus on other clubs, especially ones not in LI. Of course the time to judge Bury and their wonderful season will be next season........If they still exist.

I couldn't care less how many players are signed and by who. Blackpool finished 10th but in reality just 12 points ahead of us. What we need is just some quality in the right areas.....Not numbers.

I mentioned last Summer that Sonny Bradley would be top of my list. Unfortunately he had the option of a bigger club than us. Never mind lets try for the next Sonny because that 12 points could have been made up by one decent defender in our home games alone.

Last edited:
Remember Adam Thompson went to Bury two years ago on double the wages he would got at Southend, we offered him 2.5k a week, but Bury offered him twice that. I did questioned where they get the money from, even they have average crowds of 3k.

Back