• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mick

Life President
Matches against Bury of late have been nothing if not close.
The last 5 have been draws and the 5 before that were either draws or 1-0s.

Tomorrow's referee is a bald man from the armed forces, which will not please everybody! However he's one of the better ones of that ilk.

Man in charge will be 42year old, Darren Drysdale from Lincolnshire. A sergeant in the RAF, on the human resources side, he began refereeing in 1988, officiating in the Northern Alliance and Northern Premier League, became an assistant referee for the Football League in 1996, and in1997 progressed to being a Conference North referee. In 1998 he was appointed as an assistant referee for the Premier League, and two years later was given the honour of being an assistant referee to Graham Poll in the 2000 FA Cup Final, he also became a FIFA assistant referee in the same year. In 2002, he became a UEFA assistant referee, one of only three from the UK at the time. He was appointed to the Football League List of referees in 2004.

He attracted some media attention in 2007 after Bradford City's Dean Windass received a five-match ban for swearing at him in the car park after a home game against Brentford. He was dropped from the list a couple of years later and is now in his second spell as a League referee. Apparently he used to drive a top of the range Bentley with personalised number plates.

We have seen little of him over his 10 years; just six matches.

The most recent match was last season's Friday night 3-0 victory over Mansfield which turned into a bit of a cardfest with a red for Clifford and two reds and three yellows for them. A difficult match to referee and he did what he had to do reasonably well.

Prior to that it was the unforgettable Cup replay at Brentford, when he (and Smith) did rather well. One caution for Prosser. He rushed to congratulate Smith at the final whistle.

Before that it was the 3-2 away win the season before last at Bristol Rovers when any criticism would have centred on a slightly soft penalty. He sent off one of theirs and booked Tomlin and Phillips. Before that he brought the curtain down on the season before with the home play-off match against Crewe which, of course, we drew 2-2. Four cautions - one for us (Grant) and 3 for them including a controversial one for simulation.

Previously, it was a 3-2 home defeat by Coventry in 2006/7 (2 yellows apiece) and the 2-1 win at Port Vale the following season when Macca got the winner (we shaded the yellows 3-2).

Card count is bang on average this season with 2 reds and 29 yellows from 10 games (Mind you, I said the same last year before the Mansfield game). His last three matches have all been Championship appointments.

Assistants are Elliott Kaye from Hainault and Graham Kane (no relation to the hat-trick scoring goalkeeper) from Ditchling, just north of Brighton. Regular visitor Nigel Lugg from Chipstead stands by as Fourth Official.

Great post Mick! :thumbsup:

Interesting stat (well for me), the Mansfield game he officiated last season was after an away defeat to Newport and was the 15th league game in which we had accumulated 20 points with a +1 goal difference. This game is our 15th league game and also comes after an away defeat to Newport. So far we have accumulated 21 points with a +1 goal difference.

Last season, after that 3-0 win it sparked a run of 1 defeat in 15 games which included the FA Cup run.

After the defeat to Brentford, we won the next 3 games.

After the win against Bristol Rovers, it was our first league win in 3 games and we went on an 11 match unbeaten run.

Hopefully whatever the result tomorrow, we can go on another long unbeaten run!

Dan says to me "thats the worse decision Ive ever seen here". I correct him, remembering a local ref who flagged for a penalty for a foul that was a good 5 yards outside the box. Seems he was the West Stand assistant today as well.

5000 plus in that ground today, only one not thinking it was a penalty. Shocking.

Without a doubt the worst refereeing performance I've seen at Roots Hall this season (and maybe last season). The Jack Payne incident towards the end was nothing other than a red for Mills who raised his hands against Payne, yet he booked the pair? Dreadful.

Much like a number of SUFC players the ref was poor today with a couple of quite late decisions as well as some bad ones and none more so than the penalty he failed to give which looked a stone wall to me.

Last edited:
And the challenge on Worrall on the touchline (in front of the East). Looked a red to me.

Blatant penalty. One can tell a players reaction tells it all. That said it doesn't disguise another inept attacking performance. If that's Browns plan E then he might as well start packing his bags.

Ref and his assistance were more than useless!
Fed Up With Lino's Looking for ref to give a decision.
Why does this happen! If you see it put your ****ing flag up!

Ref and his assistance were more than useless!
Fed Up With Lino's Looking for ref to give a decision.
Why does this happen! If you see it put your ****ing flag up!

You used the word "lino". They are assistants and that;s the key. They are there to assist the referee. The ref will give instructions to his assistants.

Penalties would be covered by making sure there is eye contact, looking at the position of the referee and being absolutely sure. The ref didn't give the penalty straight away, he waved it away instantly, the assistant was never, regardless of what he saw, going to put his flag up. If he had, he would have been told to put it down instantly.

And the challenge on Worrall on the touchline (in front of the East). Looked a red to me.

The worst thing about that (although it could of been red, I think a yellow was correct) was the inability to play the advantage as we had the ball at our feet 30 yards out in a good attacking position.

West stand "assistant" had no balls at all, gave the ref no help on the penalty appeal. Blatant a penalty as you'll ever see....why would Worrall have gone down when he was through on goal? I also thought the challenge on Worrall deserving of a red, and poor Barney and then later, Corr, got nothing out of the officials despite being mauled, nudged and climbed over. Couldn't see the Payne fisticuffs from where I was so can't give an opinion on that one, but seemed an absolutely terrible day at the office all round for two thirds of the team on the pitch.

You used the word "lino". They are assistants and that;s the key. They are there to assist the referee. The ref will give instructions to his assistants.

Penalties would be covered by making sure there is eye contact, looking at the position of the referee and being absolutely sure. The ref didn't give the penalty straight away, he waved it away instantly, the assistant was never, regardless of what he saw, going to put his flag up. If he had, he would have been told to put it down instantly.

I respect what you are saying LF, but can you explain the assistant duties for us?
Does this eye contact thing also decide an off-side descision?,If I am not up with play as an assistant and think it was slightly off, do i wait for a wink and raise my flag? or is it like sunday football where I just signal a throw and the ref will give it the other way because he can!

The worst thing about that (although it could of been red, I think a yellow was correct) was the inability to play the advantage as we had the ball at our feet 30 yards out in a good attacking position.

Not sure that is an advantage for us right now ......... :'(

Back