• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Mick

Life President
Matches against Bury are rarely high-scoring. It is 13 matches ago that either team last scored more than one goal in a match. Those dozen games since have produced a miserly 17 goals (10 to us, 7 to them). Seven of those matches have been draws (including the last 4 home matches) and in the other 5 one-nils, we've won 4 to their 1.

Man in charge tomorrow is James Linington from Newport, Isle of Wight, a self-employed plumber when he's not refereeing. He is a quite highly rated referee in his eighth year having previously been a Select Group Assistant Referee and was being touted as a possibility to make it right to the top - although he seems to have been overtaken in the pecking order. He will be refereeing his eighth Southend match.

He has nearly always looked pretty reasonable or better when I have seen him officiate (which includes Dagenham's play-off final at Wembley) and will allow the game to flow if given the opportunity.

His last Southend match was the game at Burton towards the end of last season when he sent of one of theirs in the first half but abject tactics and substitutions from Brown turned the game on its head and we finished up losing against 10 men. He also cautioned 3 of theirs and Timlin.

Prior to that it was the away match at Cheltenham earlier last season when Conor Clifford scored the only goal of the game. Once again, he sent off one of theirs in addition to two cautions to each team. Binnon-Williams and Weston were our two.

Before that it was the rather damp home game against Newport the season before last, which he refereed rather well, except for his failure to get a grip on the time wasting.

Next came the game in which he was less impressive - the home game against Dagenham & Redbridge in the League, earlier in 2013/14 when Phillips was dismissed (on the say so of an Assistant Referee) with a couple of yellows for us (Leonard and White) and one for them. Even though he was way short of his usual standard and somewhat inconsistent, I didn't think he was quite as terrible as was made out. The appeal against the Phillips dismissal was unsuccessful.

The season before that he was in charge of our wretched performance when we lost 2-0 at home to Plymouth. No cards for us.

His first two Southend matches were the 3-0 home win against Carlisle in 2008/9 and then the following season's 1-1 draw at Wycombe. For Southend he only cautioned Grant and Macca respectively in those two matches.

His 19 games so far this season have seen, as usual for him, a below average 51 yellows and 3 reds, a good number of the matches being Championship appointments.

Assistant Referees are Adrian Sannerude from Lowestoft a particularly poor non-league referee with a penchant for calling off matches at the last minute and, during Advent, D. Avent from Northampton. This appointment means it is unlikely that David Avent will be running the line on Boxing Day, having done so for us on each of the previous three years! Ian Cooper from Rochester completes the team as Fourth Official.

Brilliant research as always. Not sure what to make of this referee, we usually get dodgy ones.
Just hope he is strong and decisive, not too much to hope for really.:smile:

This appointment means it is unlikely that David Avent will be running the line on Boxing Day, having done so for us on each of the previous three years!

It doesn't sound like he's scheduled to at the moment Mick, when I looked at the Boxing Day official team I thought Phil Brown might be serenaded with a version of "Last Christmas" by the former Wham front man!

Colchester United (First Team) v Southend United FC (First Team)
Football League 1
Referee: Gibbs, Philip
Assistant Referee: Howson, Akil
Assistant Referee: Smith, Josh
Fourth Official: George, Michael

I think Akil Howson ran the line last Boxing Day at Cambridge...

It doesn't sound like he's scheduled to at the moment Mick,

I think Akil Howson ran the line last Boxing Day at Cambridge...

He's not, but equally he hasn't a game anywhere else so might have been called in if needed, had he not done us a few days earlier ! (There tend to be more changes over the holiday period.)

Akil Howson did indeed run the line at Cambridge a year ago. I recall some objections to me describing this black official as "black".

Not the worst performance but felt he was fairly inconsistent during the second half. Assault on Payne by Etuhu went unpunished and Coker gets a cheap yellow straight after. Did well for Clarke dive. I think Clarke fell rather than dived. Penalty given but at the time thought it might have been a bit soft. Not massive contact, more a coming together.

Not the worst performance but felt he was fairly inconsistent during the second half. Assault on Payne by Etuhu went unpunished and Coker gets a cheap yellow straight after. Did well for Clarke dive. I think Clarke fell rather than dived. Penalty given but at the time thought it might have been a bit soft. Not massive contact, more a coming together.

That's not inconsistency, that just having a different opinion to you as to whether or not they were fouls at all.

As it happens, from where I was sitting I agree that there were a couple of "odd" decisions, but a) the ref was much closer than me, and b) if they're the only faults we can find then he must have had a good game.

That's not inconsistency, that just having a different opinion to you as to whether or not they were fouls at all.

As it happens, from where I was sitting I agree that there were a couple of "odd" decisions, but a) the ref was much closer than me, and b) if they're the only faults we can find then he must have had a good game.

Errr. He gave both fouls. One was assault, the other was a nudge. The nudge got booked. He had an OK game but was inconsistent and I stand by that. I was close to both incidents, probably closer than the ref on the first one.

We have had worse refs, and better. He let things go, often, and I worried that one of their sliding tackles (especially on Wozza) could have been very dangerous if our players hadn't dodged it rather than it being a missed tackle (have I made that clear?). He ought to have carded both L. Clarke and Mooney for simulation, (Clarke twice); and the Coker yellow was soft. He allowed us to take quick kicks BUT especially good to see was the away he chatted and spoke with the players and PB with a smile. Reasonable 7/10 from me.
Again the throw in 's were joke in that often player was in play not on or behind line; this is a rule area (throw ins) that the A should look at clarifying IMO.

Back