• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Napster

No ⭐
News
08/04/2008 - Buster's 120 miles in aid of hospice

A 70-year-old Portishead man diagnosed with bone marrow cancer has responded by planning a 120-mile charity walk.

Harold "Buster" Footman, a former physiotherapist with Bristol City Football Club, has already raised more than £100,000 for various good causes through stunts such as scaling Mount Kilimanjaro.

Now, although he must enter hospital for three or four weeks in June for cancer treatment, he intends to walk from a children's hospice at Barnstaple to another one at Wraxall, near Bristol, the following month.

"The doctors have told me that if my treatment is successful, I will be able to do the walk in July," he said.

"I'm now looking for sponsors. I'll be walking from the Little Bridge Hospice at Barnstaple to the Charlton Farm Hospice at Wraxall.

"It's about 120 miles via the coastal route.

"Hopefully, I shall be able to raise a decent amount of money for Charlton Farm.

"It's close to where I work as a gardener for The Downs School, which is one of the reasons I want to help.

"I feel especially for children with cancer.

"I have had my life and to be diagnosed when very young is particularly heartbreaking for the victims and their families."

Buster, an ex-Royal Marine, has been raising money for charity for more than 30 years, particularly during his time working in professional football for Southend United and Bristol City.

During his 10 years as City physiotherapist he became famous for wearing a T-shirt on even the coldest of match-days and was so popular that the club granted him a testimonial in 1999.

He was in his 60s when he attempted to reach the summit of Mount Kilimanjaro to raise money for the British Institute for Brain Injured Children.

He got within 500 feet of the top before having to turn back because of sickness.

Before that his charity stunts included abseiling, rowing and a 286-mile sponsored walk from Lands End to Southend.

As well as seeking sponsors for his July walk, Buster is looking for volunteers to walk a leg of his journey with him.

People wishing to volunteer to join Buster on his charity walk, or to sponsor him, should call 01275 817353.

Buster taught my parents to drive back in the early 70's. I will definitely sponsor him on this as he saved me having to wait at cold bus stops. Shame he does not have an online sponsor form.

Cancer survivor completes Barnstaple to Bristol charity walk
Thursday, April 30, 2009, 07:00Comment on this story

A former Bristol City physiotherapist has trekked more than 100 miles from Barnstaple to Bristol to raise funds for the city's children's hospice.
Harold "Buster" Footman decided to tackle the route after he was diagnosed with bone marrow cancer and advised to build up his muscles.
Mr Footman, 71, works as a gardener at the Downs School at Wraxall, near Charlton Farm Children's Hospice, and felt it was the ideal charity for him to support.
He had hoped to embark on the challenge last summer but had to undergo a bone marrow transplant and chemotherapy first, and then wanted to wait for the spring light.
Mr Footman says he feels fine now and never really felt ill. He believes he is lucky the cancer was picked up from a blood test during a routine health check.
The former Royal Marine completed his walk from the original Children's Hospice South West (CHSW) site in Devon, Little Bridge House, to the Wraxall hospice yesterday, with his 17-year-old nephew Joe Heritage.
Several other supporters joined them for stages of the walk.
Mr Footman, of Portishead, hopes to raise about £5,000 for the charity, which provides respite breaks for the families of youngsters with life-limiting conditions.
An auction is being held next week, which should add to the £3,000 he has already been pledged.
Mr Footman was welcomed by staff and children from The Downs School as he walked into Charlton Drive, as well as his wife Connie, and was treated to tea and cake when he reached the hospice.
He said: "I have been absolutely delighted with the way it has gone.
"There were a couple of times when we got absolutely drowned by the rain, but it was a very interesting walk with beautiful scenery.
"There was a nice reception when we arrived at the school and the hospice and that made it all worthwhile."

Buster diagnosed me with Osgood Schlatters at Southend Airport on the way to watch us clintch promotion at Stockport, after the Doctors told me it was growing pains. Utter Legend!!!

Last edited:
Buster became my driving instructor after my lady instructor left. It was a real shock as she was really polite and he would shout at me ''WHAT THE FU CK ARE YOU DOING'',''YOU SILLY FU CKER''. It worked a treat tho, as I passed my test.
He is a great character and a real man's man, with a heart of gold.

Buster offered to become a sperm doner to my father after it turns out Dad of DtS was a jaffa.Dad assumed he would turn up with a pot of mans milk and a turkey baster but it turns out he came round our house to give my Mum six of the best (Sexually not physically).

Had it not been for Buster I would literally not have been here. Still not sponsoring him though.

Last edited:
Buster offered to become a sperm doner to my father after it turns out Dad of DtS was a jaffa.Dad assumed he would turn up with a pot of mans milk and a turkey baster but it turns out he came round our house to give my Mum six of the best (Sexually not physically).

Had it not been for Buster I would literally not have been here. Still not sponsoring him though.

One of the funniest posts EVER on Shrimperzone!!!! Top man DtS!!!

So it's about time we had a post from Buster, Dad of DtS.

Surely your name should have been Roger?!? ;-)

RIP Buster. Before I was regularly involved in amateur football I used to watch Ferndale Ath in the Southend Sunday League. Buster used to play at centre forward for them and was always a great watch.

Back