• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

DTS

The Business
I find this whole debate over Mark Gower a total farce. I cannot believe some of the utter b******s that I have had the misfortune to read tonight.

All this talk of drop Gower, Sell Gower , Gower should never play for us again is I can only assume being said by people that have either never played the game before or have only been wathcing Blues for a season.

I this the same Mark Gower whos goals pushed us up the table single handily aganst the likes of Kiddy,Northanpton and Boston at home to name but a few. The same Gower whos goals helped us to stay up last season...???

A good layer such as Gower does not become a bad player overnight. Nor do the colour of his boots. Gower is cleary suffering from a lack of confidence and no f**king wonder reading this board. Tilly has shown faith in him and qiute rightly so. Who else do we really have who has the same flair and creates as much...Dropping him now may ruin his confidence for the rest of the season when we need him most.

Nicolau,Kightly,Corbett with all due respects are not fit to lace Gowers boots.Then again we could look to go back to some of the other former greast we have had over the past few season - Connolly, Forbes,Clarky take your pick.

If a few people stopped sh*tting there pants as we lost one game that actually ment anything then maybe we could get on with what enjoying has been a superb season to support Southend.

I dont even need to defend Maher as anyone who says he s sh*t really isnt worth talking too.....

DtS

Couldn't agree more.

I still say he was the pick of the midfield on friday too. It just seems now that Gower has filled the role vacated by Tes Bramble whereby it doesn't matter whether he has a good game or a bad game because people have pre-conceived ideas of what he's going to be like before the game has even kicked off and as soon as he makes one mistake, thats it he's useless.

People say he doesn't care and he doesn't try. Its all nonsense. When has anyone ever seen Mark Gower hide on the field? No matter how well or how badly he is playing he always wants the ball and his teammates are always more than happy to give it to him.

The whole thing baffles me beyond belief.

I think that is a top post. I have been waiting for someone with some b******s to come out and defend the bloke and you have done that.

Gower on his day is the best midfielder in our side and one of the best if not the best winger in the division.

He has had a run of bad form now and Tilly backing him to pull it back together will help him a lot.

People can't just come out and say he is a bad player because that is sh*te, however if they say he is in bad form and he should be dropped for a game or two to give someone else a chance then I think they are within reason. Different players respond differently to their role within the team and I have no doubts that Marky Gower will find the form or bag that goal he is capable of to turn a game, to help fire us back up to the number 1 spot.

He certainly will give his all when in blue, whether he has his full fitness or not he isn't going to be far off if Tilly is playing him. He doesn't have excuses and he doesn't want to hide from the fact of his poor performance in Cardiff hence his column in the Echo saying that he wanted to start against the O's to make up for it.

The guy wants to be part of the team and I want him to be part of the team and anyone with a decent level of footballing nouse would realise that he benefits our team greatly because he has the calibre and skills required to turn the game through his running at defenders.

Much Respect for Mark Gower and all those doubters really should sit back and think what he has done for this club.

Is it really that hard to say ok I'll give him a chance...
rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dave the Shrimper @ April 17 2005,23:15)]I find this whole debate over Mark Gower a total farce. I cannot believe some of the utter b******s that I have had the misfortune to read tonight.

All this talk of drop Gower, Sell Gower , Gower should never play for us again is I can only assume being said by people that have either never played the game before or have only been wathcing Blues for a season.

I this the same Mark Gower whos goals pushed us up the table single handily aganst the likes of Kiddy,Northanpton and  Boston at home to name but a few. The same Gower whos goals helped us to stay up last season...???

A good layer such as Gower does not become a bad player overnight. Nor do the colour of his boots. Gower is cleary suffering from a lack of confidence and no f**king wonder reading this board. Tilly has shown faith in him and qiute rightly so. Who else do we really have who has the same flair and creates as much...Dropping him now may ruin his confidence for the rest of the season when we need him most.

Nicolau,Kightly,Corbett with all due respects are not fit to lace Gowers boots.Then again we could look to go back to some of the other former greast we have had over the past few season - Connolly, Forbes,Clarky take your pick.

If a few people stopped sh*tting there pants as we lost one game that actually ment anything then maybe we could get on with what enjoying has been a superb season to support Southend.

I dont even need to defend Maher as anyone who says he s sh*t really isnt worth talking too.....

DtS
Regardless of what Gower has done in the past or who has filled that role previously, it has to be asked if Gower's current form justifies a place in the team. My opinion is, no it doesn't. If it was just a case of him not being very creative or not scoring any goals I would have no worries about leaving him in the team, but the big problem I see is the way he is giving the ball away to the opposition with mis placed passes and bad decisions on his direction of movement.
If we were half way through the season we would have the luxury of letting Gower work his way out of whatever problem he has, unfortunately we only have a few games left.
I would rather see someone like Nicolau playing a less creative, "safer" game, than have Gower as a liability regardless of his potential.

Gower gives the ball away more than anyone else in the team. Theres no arguement about that. But thats mainly because he has the ball a lot more than anyone else, certainly when we're going forward.

And even when he is playing terribly, even Cardiff-terribly, he still adds more going forward than certain other players. He had a 'mare in Cardiff, we all know that. But he still put in a couple of decent crosses and should have won a penalty. Contrast that to what the likes of Pettefer added to our attacks.

imo we seem to struggle when teams flood the midfield. sometimes facing five in midfield maher, petts, and bently cant cope. and gower is not the type of player to roll his sleeves up and get stuck in. at the moment gowers form is not at its best. giving the ball away etc. but there is no doubt gower can turn a match in an instant. so i would leave him on the bench and bring him on when we need a spark if were not fireing

Gower appears to to be an enigma. What makes him tick? Which Gower will turn up today? Perhaps the most disappointing thing about Gowers game is the lack of consistency at the moment. The team has been on a long unbeaten run, the league position is incredible. Players whom I expected little of have overachieved, consistently, but Gower cant use this to fire his own game? A confidence player he may be but he should be drawing on the confidence of the team. He is undoubtedly a huge talent. It would just be nice to know as to why it is not more evident. Perhaps Tottenham, Motherwell and Barnet needed to ask the same question and thats why we got him.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dave the Shrimper @ April 17 2005,23:15)]I find this whole debate over Mark Gower a total farce. I cannot believe some of the utter b******s that I have had the misfortune to read tonight.

I this the same Mark Gower whos goals pushed us up the table single handily aganst the likes of Kiddy,Northanpton and  Boston at home to name but a few. The same Gower whos goals helped us to stay up last season...???

DtS
Why can't we have a debate over a player who is out of form?  Why is it a farce?

Why not drop Gower?  Oh!  So it's back to Scrivens answer to the Graeme Jones debate & we all know how that ended up i.e. "you can only comment & know how good he is if you've played at blah, blah, blah level".  Well I'll freely admit to not being a Premiersh*te standard footballer, but I can tell a player who's having a mare!  As for watching the SHRIMPERS for a season, I can't really be arsed to even argue with that.

Single-f*cking-handedly?  You really are having a laugh now.  Even one season supporters like me can see that the work ethic of this team has been what has got it to where it is.  Not just one player.  Not even Freddy alone.  Last season is last season, what relevance has that got to the position we're in now?

Ah!  Back to the old "message board make player poor" line.  Yes. I'm superstitious about boots, can't help that, in fact many pro footballers have some superstitions.  But has he been a better player with them?  Really?  I'm sure he's not suddenly become a crap player due to his boots, but he's not playing well.  Having said that lets give him a run of say 10 games from now to get back into form.  I'd say that's fair.

So the others aren't as good as him at his best.  Fairy muff.  But he's not at his best & in some recent games hasn't been much better than some of the halfwits you quoted.  Personally I don't think he's fit.  Looking at him Friday he was knackered after 1/2 an hour, how can that be helping the team?

Enjoying the season?  I'll tell you when it's over.  Enjoy last week?  Not me.  Sunday, I was gutted that we lost a game that was there for the taking & especially that a number of players, none of whom I'm allowed to mention, were not up to the game.  As for Friday, yea I'm delighted with that one as well.  For me the play offs now beckon as every game is vital & the next two we'll be missing the bloke who's been driving the team forward over the last few weeks.  But it's ok because we've given Gower 10 games to get his form back.  I hope to bollox he gets it back Tuesday, but it's a big ask for him suddenly to be fit all of a sudden IMO.

I don't actually think Maher is sh*t, but would like to have reserved the right to criticise him if I thought he'd been poor.  However as we're not allowed to do that either I wouldn't even dream of it.  In fact it seems that on SZ these days you're actually not allowed to say anything.  I don't agree with the clique notion, but there are far too many "you can't say that merchants".  FFS it's a message bored & bored is right.

You'll be pleased to know that I won't be bullying little boys like ArseMad anymore you're all welcome to each other.  I'll always maintain that I only wound people like that up when they became abusive to others.  I expect I'll still view the posts but If I can control my urge to argue pointless messages like DtS's thats me done, he's right I've not played Premiersh*te football so I shouldn't have a view!

Cheers
Piers
(still approaching 40)

When you got Luke Gutteridge on Subs. Bench waiting for an chance, that why people are question Gower forms, I cannot do anything about that but giving him support "Come On Gower, you can do it" ever time he attack the full back. I hope Gutteridge will be giving an chance now that Bentley is out for 2 game. McGormack & Mahar look similer to each another so we need Luke alongside Gower as he can take the pressure off him, I sure Macclefield defencer cannot cope with 2 attacking midfielder going at them. Why Charlton was ready to pay £300'000 for him if he was an bad player
rock.gif
Charlton loss is our gain, if we take Gutteridge off his leash and set him on Macclefield defence!

Over to you Tilson, I cannot tell you what to do - I stick with Football Manager 2005 (trying to get Chelmsford City into Championship
biggrin.gif
)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Napster @ April 18 2005,13:37)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Guest @ April 18 2005,13:33)]Why Charlton was ready to pay £300'000 for him if he was an bad player
rock.gif
Corbett once cost Blackburn £500k
I thought Dudfield cost a few quid a few years ago too!

£250,000 from Leicester City to Hull if I remember correctly.

Back