• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Buttons

Supershrimper

First XI⭐
Just head Ron getting a bit wound up on BBC Essex about a comment made by the presenter who said Tilly was given "Buttons" to attract players. Ron seemed to get really irate about that.

He never said, yeah we never had a war chest or anything. He kept banging on about us having a high wage bill for League 1. Kept saying we was 8th in the league and this year we're probably 10th or something. I don't care where we are in wage bill terms. Its points from games that is the proper league Ron, or did you not realise that.

If we have got a such a massive wage bill, what are we going to do now that we're in league 2. (lets face it all but there) Got to be a massive clearout of some of these so called massive pay packets. But look at the size of our squad and 4 of those are loan players.

Looking to next season we have to keep

Mildenhall, Francis, Barrett, Herd, Grant, Moussa, Scannell, O'keefe, Spencer, Paterson, Crawford

So to sum up Ron's interview.

We have a very high wage bill; can't attract the players we want; have a very small squad so by inferenve, the wage per player is high. So- why can we not attract players?

The players have not been paid late month after month but for "a period of time". Wages are now "up-to-date".

Somthing doesn't add up to me.

WHy doesn't anyone ask him about the transfer embargo?? We were at a point where we obviously needed fresh blood and cover but could not because of the bloody embargo! He keeps saying about players being well paid etc but if they are injured or suspended they can be on a million a week but it will make no difference. We needed depth in the squad and could not do it because of the financial situation.......which of course is not his fault!

The journalistic skills shown by BBC Essex were dreadful as per usual. They had a chance to really ask some probing questions there. And for once it wasn't useless Nick Alliker that was the culprit.

So to sum up Ron's interview.

We have a very high wage bill; can't attract the players we want; have a very small squad so by inferenve, the wage per player is high. So- why can we not attract players?

The players have not been paid late month after month but for "a period of time". Wages are now "up-to-date".

Somthing doesn't add up to me.

Because we paid high wages historicaly doesn't mean we were offering high wages to new recruits. On the contrary with little cash available and most of it already going to the existing squad we could no longer afford to offer good money. What in that doesn't add up?

The journalistic skills shown by BBC Essex were dreadful as per usual. They had a chance to really ask some probing questions there. And for once it wasn't useless Nick Alliker that was the culprit.

Maybe so. But whatever the presenter said it did not imho merit the response. For me, RM showed he had lost touch with 'ordinary people' with some of the comments and particularly the one where he said he would not have been worried about being paid.

He said - once again without anyone being able to get a word in edgeways - that the players had never been owed more than one month's money and that they always had his guarantee that it would be paid. Great - try going home and telling that to the missus and for that matter the building society. Were the players really reassured by those guarantees ? This is a man who has had to borrow £60,000 from the Supporters Trust remember.

But not a trace of acknowlegdement that he may have had something to do with the problems this year - no- he has paid well so its nothing to do with him. All very well to say now but how close were we to being bust just 6 weeks ago ?

He is the one who stands to make in excess of £10 million from the project (if we can accept EB's comments regarding the offer RM rejected) - the players on the other hand have short careers which could be ended with one bad tackle. If he did not see a big payday in it for himself he would have baled out long ago. Fair enough - he has taken the risk - but don't blame players for trying to make the most of their position then.

The longer this project takes and the lower we sink, the more it dilutes the profit RM is going to make.

Unfortunately - the end result right now is that we the fans have to sit through another load of dross en route to the RM payday.

Just head Ron getting a bit wound up on BBC Essex about a comment made by the presenter who said Tilly was given "Buttons" to attract players. Ron seemed to get really irate about that.

He never said, yeah we never had a war chest or anything. He kept banging on about us having a high wage bill for League 1. Kept saying we was 8th in the league and this year we're probably 10th or something. I don't care where we are in wage bill terms. Its points from games that is the proper league Ron, or did you not realise that.

If we have got a such a massive wage bill, what are we going to do now that we're in league 2. (lets face it all but there) Got to be a massive clearout of some of these so called massive pay packets. But look at the size of our squad and 4 of those are loan players.

Looking to next season we have to keep

Mildenhall, Francis, Barrett, Herd, Grant, Moussa, Scannell, O'keefe, Spencer, Paterson, Crawford

You're so naive. Of course wage bill counts - the money clearly HAS YES HAS been supplied to Tilson to attract players. But he has failed!!

Spot on. The interviewer's performance was shameful, and then the summing up as they ended the programme was just complete derge. They let Ron off big time and just showed themselves up to be folk with no insight or ability. Bit like the team today really.

Oh jeez I hate this, always prefer to have a cup half full but tonight its got a leak. Need to log off quick.

Buttons - a pantomime character and the servant of Baron Hardup; what an appropriate nickname.

Absolutely, I don't listen to BBC Essex very often but that idiot they had hosting the programme on Saturday was even worse than the normal pillock that fronts the show.

Having listened to an overlong interview with the Thurrock manager (who reminded me a bit of Tilly somehow) we then had, I hate to say it, some unjustified criticism of Boothroyd by the presenter who seemed to be a bit confused by the fact that he could string more than a couple of sentences together.

But the interview with RM was pure rubbish. The interviewer couldn't even justify what he meant by the use of the word 'buttons'. I certainly don't think he meant the wage bill when he originally said it, more the size of the squad, but he let RM ramble on and what was a great chance to learn something meaningful slipped by.

Still, at least I know the Thurrock manager is going to see his committee about possibly changing the team next season.

Exactly. I was screaming at the radio because they didn't ask any of the the right questions. They then went to Alliker for comment and he just summarised what Ron said without commenting at all. Ron tells everyone off like they are naughty schoolchildren and they just seem to accept it.

He never said, yeah we never had a war chest or anything. He kept banging on about us having a high wage bill for League 1. Kept saying we was 8th in the league and this year we're probably 10th or something.

If I were responsible for making that shower amongst the best paid in the division, I'd keep very quiet about it.

Exactly. I was screaming at the radio because they didn't ask any of the the right questions. They then went to Alliker for comment and he just summarised what Ron said without commenting at all. Ron tells everyone off like they are naughty schoolchildren and they just seem to accept it.

Well, I don't think that's true exactly, but I can understand his frustration. People simply DO NOT LISTEN. He has sent out countless detailed blogs, had question and answer sessions, and interviews, and people still come out with the same old rubbish.

It must be driving him mad. Buttons! I mean, he has said countless times the wage bill made available is in the top 8. He has said that he wanted a steady squad to be assembled before the start of the season. I think it’s quite clear that the football management have, maybe, failed to use the resources that they have been given. Let's not forget, Tilson has brought in some real stinkers, for wages that are above average in league one, let alone above what they are worth.

And on the topic of investment, I think the graph that displays the parent company investment proves a big point. The investment over the past few years into the club by RM has been huge, just to keep it going. Perhaps if we had won a few more cup matches, sold a few players (instead of buying countless duds for reasonable sums) then the club wouldn’t need that extra investment.

I heard to day that Steve Tilson has been given a vote of confidence, but I wouldn't be so hasty in saying that. He has some weaknesses, and unfortunately his weakness have undoubtedly played a major part in our relegation this season

Well, I don't think that's true exactly, but I can understand his frustration. People simply DO NOT LISTEN. He has sent out countless detailed blogs, had question and answer sessions, and interviews, and people still come out with the same old rubbish.

Maybe people don't believe him. There's that word again. I was tempted to cross out the first and last two letters on my card.

It must be driving him mad. Buttons! I mean, he has said countless times the wage bill made available is in the top 8. He has said that he wanted a steady squad to be assembled before the start of the season. I think it’s quite clear that the football management have, maybe, failed to use the resources that they have been given. Let's not forget, Tilson has brought in some real stinkers, for wages that are above average in league one, let alone above what they are worth.

And on the topic of investment, I think the graph that displays the parent company investment proves a big point. The investment over the past few years into the club by RM has been huge, just to keep it going. Perhaps if we had won a few more cup matches, sold a few players (instead of buying countless duds for reasonable sums) then the club wouldn’t need that extra investment.

I heard to day that Steve Tilson has been given a vote of confidence, but I wouldn't be so hasty in saying that. He has some weaknesses, and unfortunately his weakness have undoubtedly played a major part in our relegation this season

Ron?..........

Its points from games that is the proper league Ron, or did you not realise that.

This my first post on here, because I just had to comment. I often look on this site, but never posted... so here it goes!

How an earth can you moan and say that the game is the proper league when all the time over the past few months, half of the apparent 'supporters' have been moaning about something that they haven't got a clue about. Im not going to say I have much more than a clue, but some of the people on here, are just literally the definition of stupid! Why do you think we are doing so bad...half of us supporters haven't been supporting at all, just been looking for something to moan about.

Now that the money has been 'paid', you go and moan that the league is in fact the most important. Half the time you're saying all the people in our club can't do their jobs, next you say that actually, the table is what we should be worrying about. well duh... Its pathetic, half of you...Stop being such hypocrites.

Back