• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Buy-to-let

Is Buy-to-let

• a Good thing?

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • a Bad idea?

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Bart?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The problem is not one of demand but supply. The planning system makes it extremely difficult to build houses in places people want to live.

most people are in favour of increased house building as long as it isn't where they live. Politicians are terrified of this issue for that reason.

Why is a rental market bad?

I rented for 7 years while I saved up a deposit.

As Neil says, it's an issue of supply.

Read the article.

Rental prices have increased dramatically in recent years making it difficult for first time buyers to get a deposit together.The money is going into landlords pockets instead.

FWIW,I tend to agree with Neil F. that the problem is one of supply rather than demand,as well.

Why is a rental market bad?

I rented for 7 years while I saved up a deposit.

As Neil says, it's an issue of supply.

I think it is good and bad, if you live in the South East and are single without any help from relatives ....Renting is your future..I do not like the way it has gone though to being able to rent a flat to now only being able to rent a room on your income.... My Son and his girlfriend for example both work hard and have a young son. They have a 2 bed flat and all they earn goes out just covering the costs of that and a very medium lifestyle. The chances of them saving enough for a deposit are about zero.. I guess it is lucky that both sides of their family realise this and are on a mission to help them in the long run.

I never needed to when I was my sons age..I rented and still quite easily saved up a deposit.. I do feel for the kids of today.

I do also think there is a great North/South divide here. I have no real idea of the wage ratio to cost of houses up North.

Neil is also correct it is difficult to build houses as long as the general public keep saying, ok but NIMBY..Whether any of those homes would actually be affordable to youngsters if built though is another question.

Pubes how did that work for you?

I think it is good and bad, if you live in the South East and are single without any help from relatives ....Renting is your future..I do not like the way it has gone though to being able to rent a flat to now only being able to rent a room on your income.... My Son and his girlfriend for example both work hard and have a young son. They have a 2 bed flat and all they earn goes out just covering the costs of that and a very medium lifestyle. The chances of them saving enough for a deposit are about zero.. I guess it is lucky that both sides of their family realise this and are on a mission to help them in the long run.

I never needed to when I was my sons age..I rented and still quite easily saved up a deposit.. I do feel for the kids of today.

I do also think there is a great North/South divide here. I have no real idea of the wage ratio to cost of houses up North.

Neil is also correct it is difficult to build houses as long as the general public keep saying, ok but NIMBY..Whether any of those homes would actually be affordable to youngsters if built though is another question.

Pubes how did that work for you?
I work at a uni so apart from London weighting I earn the same up in Sheffield as I would in the South East. Seeing as my 3 bed house cost £130k, I can't really complain. It's no surprise that northern unis have a high rate of 'graduate retention', and that more firms are moving offices up north where cities are much more affordable and offer potentially better lifestyles.

Ta Jon, I guess the way forward is people may have to move, I am not sure that would work for some in general jobs and the leaving the surrounding family would definitely not work for our kids.

I never quiet understand why they sold of so many council houses yet the government are now heading towards a 25 Billion bill towards housing benefit...http://www.theguardian.com/housing-network/2014/apr/24/housing-benefit-bill-soar-25-billion-2017 .

It just does not make sense to sell a house on the cheap and then end up paying people benefit to live there whilst still not building any more.....There should IMO always been a rule that whatever government took in from the sales should of been ring fenced and gone into a new programme of house building for those that are less fortunate than others.

http://www.theguardian.com/money/20...ndlords-earn-returns-of-up-to-1400-since-1996

Buy-to-let, a good thing or not?

Why?

I'd say it's a bad thing if,as it seems, rising property prices have discouraged first time buyers from saving for a deposit and eventually getting that first step on the housing ladder, themselves.

It's ****ing amazing. As a landlord I was able to help a lovely family live in the pleasant road which they were unfortunately evicted from, due to previous financial difficulties when they owned.

I now rent my main house rather than buy, as I wanted to test living in a remote hamlet before committing. Hence I negotiated a longer term lease with option to buy. You know what - there's no point me buying, as the rent is lower than the mortgage interest alone would be. And someone else has to worry about the boiler :-)

so thumbs up from someone who is on both sides of the fence. I bet very few can make such a valid contribution to this debate.

All people have the right to own there own house .

What if they don't own their house, do they have the right to own it?:winking:

I don't really understand this British obsession with owning a house. Often it doesn't make financial sense (As Hitman says), and in many other countries renting is the norm.

What if they don't own their house, do they have the right to own it?:winking:

I don't really understand this British obsession with owning a house. Often it doesn't make financial sense (As Hitman says), and in many other countries renting is the norm.
As the Buddha taught , Nothing is Permanent .

It's ****ing amazing. As a landlord I was able to help a lovely family live in the pleasant road which they were unfortunately evicted from, due to previous financial difficulties when they owned.

I now rent my main house rather than buy, as I wanted to test living in a remote hamlet before committing. Hence I negotiated a longer term lease with option to buy. You know what - there's no point me buying, as the rent is lower than the mortgage interest alone would be. And someone else has to worry about the boiler :-)

so thumbs up from someone who is on both sides of the fence. I bet very few can make such a valid contribution to this debate.

If you rent you can't improve the place with a bit of Artex, wood panelling, stag pile carpet or crazy paving.

You are always stuck with someone else's bad taste.

Back