• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Smiffy

¡Viva la Aussielución! 🇦🇺 🦘 ⭐️
Staff member
Calling all PC Boffs..

Some help please..

Now I dont know if anyone has seen it, but Currys (amongst others) are doing an offer where you sign up to Orange Broadband for 2 years and you can get £300 off any laptop in store.

A good deal for people like me who dont currently have broadband.

Anyway im taking the £19.99pm Unlimited download limit, and up to 8MB connection option.

Now I need help in choosing a laptop...

Being skint I dont want to spend more than £150 + the £300 off, so a total outlay of £450, not much I know, but I dont need a super computer.

I just want a laptop that is good for surfing, fairly fast processor speed, decent ish graphics, capable of playing DVD's, games etc.

I have narrowed my options down to two laptops, I just need you guys to tell me which one is better for me?..

Im edging toward the Packard Bell, wise move?

Thoughts please guys?

http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/sto...oduct&fm=1&sm=0&tm=0&sku=584239&category_oid=

http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/sto...roduct&fm=1&sm=0&tm=0&sku=574383&category_oid=

Last edited:
both look pretty much identical... the only difference would be style-wise. I'm not a laptop expert but a few friends have Packard Bells and are more than happy with them so if it was me i would get the PB. Go to the shop and just see which one looks nicer... some have really good screens (like my sisters HP) and others have dodgy ones where you really have to be face onto it.. that's an important consideration IMO

Cheers guys, what would you say is the better, more reliable Brand?

Fujitsu-Siemens or Packard Bell?

I believe orange have the worst reputation for broadband, been featured heavily on Watch dog and in newspaper surveys. I bought my son a Packard Bell duo core laptop for uni and 18 th present and it seems to go well.Most laptops are with Vista, XP slowly going out of the window, many bad reports about Vista , but mainly I believe teething problems.

Bought mine in PC World but staff are awlful, the aftercare is worst than Southend Utd !!!! Also if on cable and you want to go wireless ensure you get one that is for cable, PC World sold me a Phillips which wasnot compactable and the talk they gave was incredible on why they shouldnot refund, after gentle persausion and threatenig to shout in my loudest voice and cause as much problems as I can, they exchanged for another type of wireless router

I am not a computer geek just someone who has asked around and got a decent product, I do feel the more you can afford for a laptop the better you are in receiving the final article.

I'd recommend you look at:

AOL deal

From what is known of the AOL deal the laptop spec is better than "paying" out for one via the Curry's deal. Additionally, I know very knowledgeable IT people having a complete nightmare setting up the Orange LiveBox, and their customer service call center is apparently shocking.
You may not be a fan of AOL - I used to use them many moons ago and when this deal goes live I shall be partaking.
Free£450 spec laptop - 24 month £20 contract (£480 + £14.99 delivery) not too shabby

I'd recommend you look at:

AOL deal

From what is known of the AOL deal the laptop spec is better than "paying" out for one via the Curry's deal. Additionally, I know very knowledgeable IT people having a complete nightmare setting up the Orange LiveBox, and their customer service call center is apparently shocking.
You may not be a fan of AOL - I used to use them many moons ago and when this deal goes live I shall be partaking.
Free£450 spec laptop - 24 month £20 contract (£480 + £14.99 delivery) not too shabby

Yes, I saw that deal aswell..

The only thing that put me off was the fact you only have the choice of the one Dell laptop, which I believe is lower spec than the Packard Bell Im interested in above.

Now, if they offered a selection of laptops I probably wouldn't hesitate, as I too have heard a few dodgy things about Orange in the past.

Yes, I saw that deal aswell..

The only thing that put me off was the fact you only have the choice of the one Dell laptop, which I believe is lower spec than the Packard Bell Im interested in above.

Now, if they offered a selection of laptops I probably wouldn't hesitate, as I too have heard a few dodgy things about Orange in the past.

Agggh no never never AOL !! Its the computer equivalent of injecting yourself with ganggreen !

Ok Broadband wise Pipex are very good , BT (who im with ) make it all very simply but your paying a little more (the incidents are down to your local exchange which happen with any of teh broadband firms). Id propably recommend Cable if you get it in your area , its alwasy quicker then ADSL (broadband) and services tend to be more reliable.

Laptops , like anything its the money you can afford . Dell do make good mid range spec laptops for a responsible price (again the warranty is also good here techies dont enjoy repairing laptops much so you can get how bad it is for non ;)).

These people will tell you the currently best guide to DSL packages http://www.thinkbroadband.com/

Fujitsu one here for an extra £30 you get a 120GB Hdd
http://www.nice-pc.co.uk/acatalog/fujitsu_siemens_li1718.html?gclid=CIKarLTryY0CFRGsGgodNw-VLg

yeah don't go with AOL, we have just changed from it. if you have sky then look at the sky packages... they are popular and seem to be reasonably priced

Back