• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Bye Bye Gordon....

No, he hasn't gone - just announced his intention to do so.

What is the timescale then?
Surely members of the Labour party have been planning this for months and have someone lined up so it can be quicker rather than slower.... AND surely that makes it more concievable for them to keep power?

Surely members of the Labour party have been planning this for months and have someone lined up so it can be quicker rather than slower.... AND surely that makes it more concievable for them to keep power?

The new leader won't be elected until the Labour Party Conference in September/October. Under the Labour Party rules the leadership contest will take upwards of 6/8 weeks.

On the face of it this looks to be a cynical ploy to keep Labour in power. So much for new politics if Clegg props up this sham.

The new leader won't be elected until the Labour Party Conference in September/October. Under the Labour Party rules the leadership contest will take upwards of 6/8 weeks.

On the face of it this looks to be a cynical ploy to keep Labour in power. So much for new politics if Clegg props up this sham.

Meet the new politics. Same as the old politics.

I disagree. I genuinely think he is standing down because it is the right thing to do. The timing, though, was planned to cause maximum disruption to the Conservative - Lib Dem talks.

Contrary to popular opinion Brown has a degree of integrity about him. I think the tribulations he's had to deal with in life, such as almost being left blind, and the death of his daughter, as well as having a Presbytarian upbringing, has had a marked effect on how he has approached politics.

He also remembers the desecration of the manufacturing base in his home town, and throughout Fife, and this is what has driven him on.

It was fairly revealing that just prior to polling day, in an interview, he talked about getting more involved in voluntary and charitable work, in particular mentioning a cause for premature birth care. It seems he already knew what was coming.

He's made mistakes, calamitous errors, which ensured he didn't receive my vote. I do, however, believe he has a lot more substance than any of the other party leaders.

It is one of his finer traits, and yet damning at the same time, that he spent a fair bit of time saying "I take full responsibility", "I apologise unreservedly", or writing letters of apology. I can't imagine any other leader doing something similar without severe prompting

Some comments in this forum, one even stating without irony that they wanted to kill him, should leave a few people in here embarrassed and perhaps ashamed. Like or loathe him, Gordon Brown is a decent man at heart, and I wish him well in whatever voluntary work he decides to do.

I disagree. I genuinely think he is standing down because it is the right thing to do. The timing, though, was planned to cause maximum disruption to the Conservative - Lib Dem talks.

Contrary to popular opinion Brown has a degree of integrity about him. I think the tribulations he's had to deal with in life, such as almost being left blind, and the death of his daughter, as well as having a Presbytarian upbringing, has had a marked effect on how he has approached politics.

He also remembers the desecration of the manufacturing base in his home town, and throughout Fife, and this is what has driven him on.

It was fairly revealing that just prior to polling day, in an interview, he talked about getting more involved in voluntary and charitable work, in particular mentioning a cause for premature birth care. It seems he already knew what was coming.

He's made mistakes, calamitous errors, which ensured he didn't receive my vote. I do, however, believe he has a lot more substance than any of the other party leaders.

It is one of his finer traits, and yet damning at the same time, that he spent a fair bit of time saying "I take full responsibility", "I apologise unreservedly", or writing letters of apology. I can't imagine any other leader doing something similar without severe prompting

Some comments in this forum, one even stating without irony that they wanted to kill him, should leave a few people in here embarrassed and perhaps ashamed. Like or loathe him, Gordon Brown is a decent man at heart, and I wish him well in whatever voluntary work he decides to do.

Well said, Groyney. I had a feeling yesterday - when I saw his joy at meeting up with his two wee sons - that he looked like a man released. He had a definite spring in his step, as though he knew that he was on his way. I think we may see the best of him now that he doesn't have to do 'show-pony' politics anymore and just be the 'workhorse' he prefers to be.

Call me old fashioned but I always preferred politicians to be politicians and not a media friendly soundbite in a suit. It's perhaps why I had such empathy with Geoffrey Howe in the 80's when the cabinet and media turned on him.

He was another one I thought went into politics to make people's lives better. I admired him enormously when he made THAT speech. You could see in his body language, in his eyes, his tone of voice, that he didn't want to say what he was saying, but felt he had to.

Hmmm, Gordon Brown and Geoffrey Howe. Who'd have thought I could ever find common ground with those two!

It all depends on how quickly the Lib Dems can approve any new Labour leader.....

I don't doubt at all any of what you said there Groyney and funnily enough I do quite like him as a person, it's just as our country's leader that he's been inept and ill judged.

The Daily Mail have spent years trying to get rid of Gordon Brown and the day he resigns is 'A squalid day for democracy'.

Delighted that he is going. The Labour party needs to stop the boat and start re-building. That said I do believe Brown to be a honourable man who feels deeply about his politics, for that I salute him. For him and his party though the last 13 years have been horrendous.

I was in complete agreement with ex-Defence minister John Reid last night when he stated it was time for the second place team to stand down and take their rightful position in the Opposition and start earning the respect and votes of the population again. The Conservatives won the most seats and Labour's losses the greatest since 1931. It should not be left to the pony that came third to decide the future of this country, the country voted for the Conservatives - it is their time, Labour will come again, bigger stronger and better. Well said Mr Reid.

That's how I see it. Conservatives as is the will of the people should be the only choice that Clegg takes - and whatever he accepts in return to join with the incoming government he should be happy with anything his party gains as the population didn't vote for him or his manifesto, his party holds less than 9% of the seats in parliament.

This has dragged on way too long already. The government should be and working towards dealing with our economic problems now.

Could be a WHO lyric that!:)

I think I have been fooled (again).
I did vote LibDem so a Lab-LibDem coalition especially without Brown as PM isn't the end of the world for me
What concerns me is that between them they don't have a majority so are going to be dependent on a tiny number of Welsh and Scottish Nats.
Big cuts in England while spending in Wales and Scotland is maintained or even increased isn't the fairer politics that Nick Clegg blathered on about before the election nor does it strike me as the 'progressive' coalition that is being trumpeted now.

Last edited:
Back