• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Slipperduke

The Camden Cad
Everyone expects a rush of transfer activity on deadline day, but even the most seasoned of observers would have been surprised to see an entire football club change hands yesterday. Only Manchester City could provide such drama, but the joy felt by its supporters today is tinged with sadness for the rest of us.

Not since the departure of Jean-Alain Boumsong has English football had to cope with a loss as grievious as the exit of Thaksin Shinawatra. How will we cope without the good doctor and his antics? Has a dafter man ever wielded so much power?

Shinawatra came into possession of Manchester City with less slightly knowledge of football and its workings than I have of Thai tax laws. His first move, hiring Sven Goran Eriksson, was a good one, but that was obviously beginner's luck. After a promising start faded into inconsistency, Shinawatra fatally undermined his manager and crippled any hopes of success for the club.

Eriksson was forced to rebuild an entire club at short notice and he did it well, scooping up gems like Elano, Martin Petrov and Vedran Corluka. Not all of his acquisitions were as successful, but when you throw so many new players into a team at once, that's only to be expected. Eriksson was putting down foundations, but Shinawatra wanted the house finished before the ink had dried on the blueprints and sacked him at the end of the season.

The former Thai Prime Minister must have known all along that there was a danger of his assets being frozen, John Burridge had predicted that outcome in these very pages, but it didn't stop him from reportedly setting up the same kind of instalment-based transfer deals that sunk Leeds United. When the new Thai government moved in on their former leader, City's very existence was in the balance.

That isn't to say that Dr Al-Fayed of the snappily-titled Abu Dhabi United Group For Development And Investment will be any better. The 31 year old tycoon is no shrinking violet and has been described as the Donald Trump of the Middle East, having just launched his own 'Apprentice' style TV programme over there. His first act has to been to voice a desire for a top four finish this season, proving once again that Manchester City are the only club to attract chairmen with less realistic ambitions than their fans.

But his intentions are for another day. For now, it's only right that we have a moment of silence for the man who thought that English football could be dominated with relatively modest spending. A man who hired one of the most experienced, succesful managers in the world and then dumped him after doing the double over Manchester United, qualifying for Europe and finishing in the top half. A man whose senseless behaviour could have doomed a proud club to extinction. Dr Thaksin Shinawatra, we salute you. Now don't let the door hit your bum on the way out.

Ah, Slipper, I found an old game I went to back in 1985, a schoolboy international between England and Italy. You'll be pleased to hear of about 28 players, I recognised 3 - Dean Kiely, who was sub keeper, Andy Marriott, the main keeper and Amoruso for Italy. However, there was a feature on the regional schoolboy winners - and from the South East, was one Adrian Clarke playing for his school. He looks uncannily the same as he does now, except shorter.

Official link to this news anywhere?

Had a quick browse and couldn't see anything. Just interested in whos bought the club and for how much for?

Ah, Slipper, I found an old game I went to back in 1985, a schoolboy international between England and Italy. You'll be pleased to hear of about 28 players, I recognised 3 - Dean Kiely, who was sub keeper, Andy Marriott, the main keeper and Amoruso for Italy. However, there was a feature on the regional schoolboy winners - and from the South East, was one Adrian Clarke playing for his school. He looks uncannily the same as he does now, except shorter.

1985? How old were the players? 10 and 11?

Interesting to note that Kiely - like Ryan Giggs - played schoolboys for England but got full honours for another county. I wonder if many other players have done that?

1985? How old were the players? 10 and 11?

Interesting to note that Kiely - like Ryan Giggs - played schoolboys for England but got full honours for another county. I wonder if many other players have done that?

Well, yes. And of course Marriott is Welsh.

ps I think they were 16/17.

This must have been in the pipeline for months, I wondered what Sparky was doing leaving Blackburn but he must have known the huge Arabian chequebook was coming his way when he signed up for City.

Back