• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Cadette

Napster

No ⭐
Just found an old interview I did with Cadette back in 2004

By now, you might have read about my efforts to
initially meet Richard Cadette before a pre-season
friendly a few months ago. Fortunately I made it home that night and although I didn’t get to interview Richard that time, I did a week later (after he called me to apologise. Actually, for what it’s worth, Tooting and Mitcham’s ground is actually top notch for a small club, with good catering and overall facilities, it’s just a shame it’s in the middle of nowhere.)

A little background on Richard Cadette: Richard was
born on the 21st of March 1965, and started his career at Wembley, before moving to Leyton Orient, then Southend, then Sheffield United, Brentford, Falkirk and Millwall, before joining the coaching staff there and eventually taking a job at Tooting and Mitcham as manager a few years ago.

While at Southend, Cadette played under Bobby Moore,
Paul Clark and Dave Webb. He made 105 appearances for the Shrimpers between August 1985 and July 1987,
scoring 56 goals in total, more than one every other
match, one of the best scoring ratios for a Southend
player. In his first season, he not only was top
scorer with 25 goals, but also was voted player of the season. In one of his first games for us, he
single-handedly demolished his old club Orient with
four goals in a 5-1 win to take us 4th in the table.
He also scored a hat-trick against Rochdale that
season, in the penultimate game of the season.

The next season, Moore left and the Webb era really
began. Although Cadette scored 32 goals this season,
he wasn’t player of the season- this went to Big Jim
Stannard. But Cadette made some great inroads
nevertheless- scoring in three consecutive matches in September against Swansea, Hereford and Lincoln; six goals in four consecutive matches in October/November (with two consecutive braces against Torquay and Scunthorpe); five goals in two consecutive matches in November/December (two against Bury then a hat-trick in the infamous 4-4 draw against Northampton). Sometimes he didn’t score- and Donut would pop up with a goal, or Jon Gymer or Glenn Pennyfather. But when Cadette scored, he did so when it mattered- two against Rochdale away for us to win 2-1 or one at Colchester in a one-all draw, for example. We were promoted that season, and there are many reasons: the
goals from Cadette; the determined defence; Dave
Martin in midfield or the Midas touch of Webb, but
without Cadette we would have finished nowhere.
Cadette was quick, assured, and powerful and played
with a smile on his face. He was many fans’ first real hero. So, it was a crying shame when he went to
Sheffield United at the end of his second season.
Fortunately, Crowny joined us in the close season and we kept our momentum. But who knows how it could have turned out? I talked to Cadette to find out what he thought about his career at Southend
So, Richard, what's it like at Tooting and Mitcham?
It's good. Enjoyable. But the move from professional to non-league was difficult, especially the move to part-time and only one night training a week.

What was it like to play under the managers at Southend? What about Bobby Moore?
He was a gentleman, maybe to a fault. I can't speak highly enough about him. He was fantastic to me, although he found it difficult to get what he wanted us to do across. He played the game fantastically- it was difficult to get over.

What about Webb?
He was completely different to Bobby. He had to have the right players. You either loved him or hated him.

Did you love him? Or hate him?
<silence>
Actually, I spoke to him a few weeks back, when he rang me. He was good for me, he allowed me to play. He didn't put any restrictions on me. That was it really- I went up front and scored goals. It's simple football, you don't have to be a brain surgeon.

Was he ever angry at the team?
When he needed to be- but then all good managers have to be. One time, we went up to Rochdale, and we were playing on this waterlogged pitch. We were 2 or 3 up at half time and we could have been 3 or 4. He slaughtered us, and in the second half, we tore them to pieces.

Who was your closest friend at Southend?
To be honest, I didn't have a really close friend. Maybe Barry Silkman, he took me to Orient as a kid. When he left, I wasn't pally with anyone really. But then we got on well as team. At the time, we had a good team spirit. We were up for it. It all changed when we bought Paul Roberts and Dave Martin- they infected the club. Then there was banter around the place and it got us promoted.

What was it like to score 4 against your old club Orient?
It was good, but I had a really good year at Orient, then I was offered a better deal at Southend. I was only young and I was out of contract at Orient. I wanted a £20 a week rise- and I held out for it. I was sh***ing myself, and thought I might have to resign anyway. But then Southend showed interest. And because of Bobby Moore I joined them, and it only got better- I had two great years at Southend. Clarky got us promoted when the job was almost done. It was disappointing when Webb resigned out of the blue, we went through a funny patch- Wolves caught us up, when at one point, we were miles ahead of them.

What was your best goal at Southend?
I was talking to my strikers about this- I've scored hundreds of goals, and I don't remember hardly any. Only 3 or 4 stand out at Southend. One in the 4-4 against Northampton when I turned 2 or 3 players, and one against Torquay when I smashed a half volley. That one I can remember more than anything.

What were the fans like at Southend?
To me they were great fans. But then, if you're scoring goals, everyone's behind you. I scored goals, so I was Goldenballs, no problem.

Who was the best player you played with in your career?
I've played with players with a lot of potential. That's a good question, that's a good question. A couple of good players, but they didn't fulfill their potential- maybe Mark Kennedy. At Southend- Glenn Pennyfather- I enjoyed playing with him.

One person asked me to ask is it true you thought Sheffield United was actually Sheffield Wednesday when you left us?
What a load of b****cks. What does he think I am, stupid? Of course not.

Thanks very much, Richard Cadette.
Cheers. Good luck for the season, I'll keep an eye out for your results. Is Leon Constantine still playing for you?

No- he's joined Judas Fry's mob at Peterborough.
That's a bit of a sideways move isn't it?...

Yep....

Last edited:
Back