• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ron Manager

Colin Calderwood has warned play-off opponents Southend that Northampton are a much stronger outfit than they were the last time the sides met.

The Cobblers lost both league games against the Shrimpers this season, as well as an LDV Vans Trophy clash, but the former Scotland international is confident ahead of Sunday's first leg at Sixfields.

"We are a better team now than we were at the start of the season," said Calderwood. "We have made mistakes, but we are learning and we have improved as the season has gone on.

"I would be more comfortable with this current squad being labelled bookies' favourites - as we always seem to be - than the squad we had at the start of the season.

"It has taken us time to get stronger, but I have a lot of confidence in this current squad."

I cant help but agree with him
sad.gif

Colin has obviously been on his funny pills, normally he is more prudent the Gordon Brown.

Without doubt though the additions of Williamson, Hearn and Kirk have added some bite into us.

On paper Northampton are a strong side, but then again so are Bristol Rovers. Whilst Northampton can say they've got Kirk, we can say we've got Eastwood. I'd be much more concerned if we were playing the Lincoln towers really.

*think positive thoughts* *calm blue ocean* *whale noises*
laugh.gif

Colin 'Cobblers' Calderwood is the 'last' man to put the 'boot into the oppositions chances. Today though he has poured his 'sole' out and feels that Northampton already have one 'foot' in the play-off finals. 'Heel' live to regret his premature ravings when Southend , not 'tongue' in cheek, ram his predictions firmly where the sun doth not shine. They will wish they were in the old 'Doc Martens' league when Eastwood digs his 'spurs' into Northamptons rag-bag defence. 'Shooting boots' at the ready Blues. Tilly is going to 'Brush' the cobblers aside.
glare.gif

Please do not swear at PTBAC and I with the use of the brand Doc Marten:)

I think we'll do 'em.
Last season, Huddersfield did exactly what we did and still one the play-offs.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimper James @ May 10 2005,10:26)]I think we'll do 'em.
Lets up your right! C C C Siders

[b said:
Quote[/b] (grayhound @ May 10 2005,10:35)]Lets up your right! C C C Siders
At last, somebody with a bit of confidence!!!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimper James @ May 10 2005,09:26)]I think we'll do 'em.
We aren't Huddersfield, and we have a tendancy to f**k up big games!

sad.gif

Still fingers crossed ...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ May 10 2005,10:50)]
[b said:

sad.gif

No, we're not Huddersfield. But the way everybody is talking gives me the impression that everybody thinks the play-offs are un-winnable. My point proves that it can be done.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimper James @ May 10 2005,11:13)]
[b said:
[b said:

sad.gif

No, we're not Huddersfield. But the way everybody is talking gives me the impression that everybody thinks the play-offs are un-winnable. My point proves that it can be done.
Didn't Cheltenham and Bournmouth also do something similar?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimper James @ May 10 2005,10:13)]
[b said:
[b said:

sad.gif

I don't think its a question of that, its more a question that everyone has seen Southend screw it up time and time again over the years. Look at the big games over the last 2-3 years how many have we won ?

Two LDV finals: Lost
Scarborough anyone ?
Tranmere a few years back ?
Grimsby ?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ May 10 2005,12:18)]Look at the big games over the last 2-3 years how many have we won ?

Scarborough anyone ?
Grimsby ?
None of that matters now though does it?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ May 10 2005,12:18)]I don't think its a question of that, its more a question that everyone has seen Southend screw it up time and time again over the years. Look at the big games over the last 2-3 years how many have we won ?

Scarborough anyone ?
Grimsby ?
You have a valid point but you can't judge the outcome of the play-offs on those 5 games. There's always a flip side, look at the 'big games' we have won over the last 2-3 years:

2 LDV Semi Finals (Over two legs)
Canvey away in the Cup (Live on Sky with the whole nation waiting to laugh at us)
Northampton away this season and other various league games this year that could have gone one way or another.

I do agree that it seems like we always bottle it in the big games, but just maybe we might learn from it this time and win the play-offs.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimper James @ May 10 2005,11:28)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ May 10 2005,12:18)]I don't think its a question of that, its more a question that everyone has seen Southend screw it up time and time again over the years. Look at the big games over the last 2-3 years how many have we won ?

Scarborough anyone ?
Grimsby ?
You have a valid point but you can't judge the outcome of the play-offs on those 5 games. There's always a flip side, look at the 'big games' we have won over the last 2-3 years:

2 LDV Semi Finals (Over two legs)
Canvey away in the Cup (Live on Sky with the whole nation waiting to laugh at us)
Northampton away this season and other various league games this year that could have gone one way or another.

I do agree that it seems like we always bottle it in the big games, but just maybe we might learn from it this time and win the play-offs.
Yep i see what you mean but to be fair that was a LDV run and we lost the 'Big' game at the final.

You can't say oh we will lose because of those other games but the last few years has made me very negative. Im not sure the players have it in them.

I hope they prove me wrong, believe me but when it comes to things like Play off finals i just dont see us winning. Still you never know.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ May 10 2005,12:31)]Yep i see what you mean but to be fair that was a LDV run and we lost the 'Big' game at the final.

You can't say oh we will lose because of those other games but the last few years has made me very negative. Im not sure the players have it in them.

I hope they prove me wrong, believe me but when it comes to things like Play off finals i just dont see us winning. Still you never know.
Yeah, i know how you feel. After 15 years of support, i always get the jitters before big games, and there's always the thought of us f***ing it up. But i think we can do it, we just all need to be positive, take a deep breathe and prepare for Sunday.

Sorry, FM, I don't really buy that. Everyone has to lose at some point during the cup unless they win it and the fact that we won so many games in the cup surely means that you could reel off the ones we won on the same basis.

I think with Southend, you have to keep the faith. If we're all negative, we'll never get anywhere.

Chin up!

Back